C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Help with changing H7 bulb on 2013 W204

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 C300 4MATIC Sport with P1, Bi-Xenon headlights, Navigation with backup camera, Sport Plus
Help with changing H7 bulb on 2013 W204

Guys,

Need some help. I have a 2013 C300 with bi-xenon headlights which has cornering lamps in the headlight that use H7 bulbs. The appropriate bulb turns on when the steering wheel is turned left/right or turn signal is engaged.

I tired to changed the bulbs with the Philips diamond H7 which are whiter then the stock H7 last night. I was able to remove the passenger side bulb by turning it counterclockwise. Space is super tight there and I can barely fit my hands inside the access hole. Got all scratched up but thats besides the point.

For the life of me I cannot get the position of the bulb lined up to lock it back into the socket.

Can someone please tell me what position I should be inserting it so it sits on the socket correctly so I can twist and lock it in?

Here are three pics to show what I am dealing with:

H7 Bulb

headlight Socket which bulb gets inserted into

plug which bulb sits on and gets inserted into socket

Thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 C250
Been there, done that but no recollection except that it's a real pain in the neck to replace those bulbs. The driver side is even more challenging and after spending many agonizing hours, I swear not to disturb them again! The real challenge is making sure the bulb sits properly onto the lens. You need to align the tabs and push the bulb harder into the reflector. Then turn in CCW direction if your facing the lens.

Not sure if Philips Diamond H7 differs from other brand in terms of brightness. I tried to use GPThunder but since they shine white, the result is very disappointing. Can't really tell if they are working! So I ended up putting back the OEM bulbs.

I took a couple of pics on how the pax side looks like to reference.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 C300 4MATIC Sport with P1, Bi-Xenon headlights, Navigation with backup camera, Sport Plus
Wow wish you had posted on the form about your experience. I would have never touched mine because I came to the same conclusion. Its a waste of time to put in brighter bulbs since they only come on when you corner or give the turn signal while the headlights are on.

I didnt even get to the driver side bulb. And you are right, Philips diamond seemed to shed less light if anything, I was trying to put the OEM back in.

Thanks for the tip about pushing in while turning. I wasnt doing that! Anyway I tired for a hour last night and another 1/2 hour today. Finally gave up and drove to the Greenwich, CT dealership. Al the service manager there did it for me free of charge. took him 10 minutes to do it, he was complaining about how terrible of a design it was as well...

lesson learned. Dont touch those bulbs!