C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Exclusive Lawsuit Filed Over Keyless Ignition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 C250
Exclusive Lawsuit Filed Over Keyless Ignition

My '13 C250 has a Keyless Go and I know for a fact the engine keeps running even after the keyfob was removed away from the car. Looks like a recall is on the way.

http://www.10news.com/news/scripps-e...onoxide-deaths

“Millions of American drivers are driving cars that have a defect that can kill them,”

Keyless ignitions have become widely available in recent years. The keyless ignition technology allows drivers to start their engines with an electronic key fob and the push of a button instead of using a traditional physical key. At issue, the driver can take the fob far away from the vehicle, such as to the bedroom, while inadvertently leaving the car running and emitting carbon monoxide for an indefinite period of time without the key fob present. This can become especially dangerous – even deadly – when the car remains running in garages attached to a home.

The class action suit seeks an injunction ordering Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Honda, BMW, Volkswagen, Bentley, Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai and Kia to install what it claims is an inexpensive automatic shut-down feature on all affected vehicles.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S550
Maybe we should start a new lawsuit over the engine not shutting off when the driver leaves the car. Like if you leave the key in the ignition and walk away without shutting the car off. This has a potential of carbon monoxide poisoning if left running in the garage, etc.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:30 PM

2013 C250
hah...hah...seriously, I couldn't agree more. Not sure what's up on the sleeves with these lawyers, though! We knew so well all combustion engine emits carbon monoxide.

But clearly the lawsuit is all about Keyless ignition. At issue, the driver can take the fob far away from the vehicle and leave the car running.

OTOH, you can't remove the physical ignition key away from the keyed car with the engine still running.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
I totally agree. We need to recall dumb drivers who leave their car running and walk away from it in a closed garage.

Hope you're still here after the lawyers settle it OP.

But on a legitimate note, anyone ever taken driver's ed? Rule Number 1: Never leave a running car in two places: a closed garage attached to a living space, or where someone can steal it. Following a basic rule that a monkey could understand would negate both carbon monoxide poisoning, and potential robbery, making this lawsuit useless.

If you can't handle it why did you ask for/pay for it? Just another example of the broke people in America thinking everyone is someone else's fault and trying to milk money out of it. Go buy some 80s Volvo with only a mechanical key and a radio, I promise you won't have any problems with that.

Last edited by ilumunus; 08-27-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
When I first owned a car with keyless ignition, 07 Murano, I became paranoid about this feature as I accidentally went out of the car without switching off the car and I was fuzzled to find out that it did not stop the engine (yeah I know dumb me). Fast forward my GLK and ML did came with this feature and I still wish that there is a feature that if you leave your car for even 10 seconds that the car is smart enough to shut the engine off if it detects that the key is not inside as when you had a habit of not thinking of pulling out your key from the ignition switch sometimes your mind becomes too preoccupied that you forget to push the ignition button to off (a good example of this is when you are rushing to go to the toilet to crap your heart out).

The ML is smart enough to put the truck in P when the car is on D while stationary when you pull the door handle so programming the car to even go further to shut itself off when the key is not detected after 10 seconds should not be a problem.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:46 AM

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S550
I've been in cars with this feature, and a lot of them just warn you on the dashboard that the key is not near.

I don't agree with it automatically shutting off the engine. Let's say for example, you want to run into the store real quick to pick up some things, while your friends are in the car. You want the car to keep running, as to have air conditioning, etc. for your passengers.

My co-worker used to have me ride with him around downtown, where he would jump out and deliver something while I waited in the car (car running), in case I needed to move the car (we often parked in loading zones, etc).

But my main concern is, what if there is a malfunction? Say for example, the car randomly loses connection and does not sense the key is in your pocket. So the car will then auto turn off? This can be dangerous if you're driving on the highway! lol

Maybe we should just go back to the old fashion way of doing things. People are so careless nowadays; case in point: the amount of deaths of children accidentally left in a hot car.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250
Why on Earth would anyone assume their car automatically shuts itself off? Did they previously walk away from older cars without switching the ignition off? Does the car automatically start when they get in? No... They have to press a button that says ENGINE START/STOP. I'm reasonably sure the owner's manual makes some brief mention of this, as well, although it apparently is well hidden.
It's getting old, this business of the stupid attempting to blame others for their idiocy.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
I can't even believe this is an issue. Since when have you turned on anything, less yet a car, that you haven't had to turn off (granted, my tv will turn off after 4 hours because of the power-saver mode - but that's not typical)? I say recall stupid drivers. I know the facelifted C's show a message on the info center if you open the door while the car is running. That itself should be enough of a reminder.

I swear, people need to take responsibility for what they do, though I don't really see that happening.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:38 PM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by 95Sinned420
I've been in cars with this feature, and a lot of them just warn you on the dashboard that the key is not near.

I don't agree with it automatically shutting off the engine. Let's say for example, you want to run into the store real quick to pick up some things, while your friends are in the car. You want the car to keep running, as to have air conditioning, etc. for your passengers.

My co-worker used to have me ride with him around downtown, where he would jump out and deliver something while I waited in the car (car running), in case I needed to move the car (we often parked in loading zones, etc).

But my main concern is, what if there is a malfunction? Say for example, the car randomly loses connection and does not sense the key is in your pocket. So the car will then auto turn off? This can be dangerous if you're driving on the highway! lol

Maybe we should just go back to the old fashion way of doing things. People are so careless nowadays; case in point: the amount of deaths of children accidentally left in a hot car.
I can only assume they can program it to automatically shutoff if the car is in park and idling for a reasonable period of time and no keyfob is detected. If the car is in gear and cruising, the auto-shutoff would not engage even if the keyfob was dead. Perhaps, additional hardware is not required, just a programming change.

If the driver stepped out of the car with the keyfob and the preset time limit had expired, then it's all up to the pax to bail out at their own will. One could argue but it's just my opinion.

Originally Posted by W57thNY
I swear, people need to take responsibility for what they do, though I don't really see that happening.
Not sure why the personal responsibility into this? This is just business and more likely, they'll win.

This is a lawsuit from a law firm that won billions of dollars in the last 4 years. Their business model finds a weakness, and sues, and wins.

Is there a standardization of time shut off across different car lines? One minute, 10 minutes, never? Let's look at the electronic, paper, and oral testimony of designers as they debated this topic. Maybe one of them wrote (five years ago) about the potential for disaster if a drunk MB owner parked his car in the garage and left the car running- killing his family?

Now the law firm has proof that company XYZ knew about the potential danger, yet did nothing except write about it in page #xxx (?) of the owners manual....

Neeways, I am not here to debate over this lawsuit but just thought, members who has keyless Go ignition system on their car must be aware of.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Welcome to 2015. The society of stupid people.