C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New C220 Purchase - Fuel Consumption Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 AMG Sport Plus
New C220 Purchase - Fuel Consumption Advice?

Hi all, First post i think.

I recently purchases a 2013 W204 C220 CDI AMG Sport Plus 7G Tiptronic & its amazing. (Pics Attached).

However, I'm struggling to get the fuel economy up anything past 36mpg. This is pretty much based off both a mixture of city driving and also dual carriageway.
I leave it in economy mode and fully auto and do try an drive sensibly and try to conserve fuel - Does this feel low?

My previous car was a Volvo S60 D5 Sport (Remapped) and i would get an average of 37mpg almost regardless of how it was driven.

I have tried two 'methods' so to speak:

1) Basically tickling the throttle as to try and use minimal fuel when accelerating

OR

2) Putting toe down a bit and getting up to cruising speed faster, then using the cruise control to maintain a constant speed.

I think I get better results using method 2 - also I think stop/start function seems to drop fuel economy?

Anybody able to provide some guidance here as to how to increase fuel economy? Does anyone have the same vehicle & what MPG are you getting?

Thanks

Jim
Attached Thumbnails New C220 Purchase - Fuel Consumption Advice?-img_9317.jpg   New C220 Purchase - Fuel Consumption Advice?-img_9318.jpg  

Last edited by JimmyGrunt; 08-28-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by JimmyGrunt
Hi all, First post i think.

I recently purchases a 2013 W204 C220 CDI AMG Sport Plus 7G Tiptronic & its amazing. (Pics Attached).

However, I'm struggling to get the fuel economy up anything past 36mpg. This is pretty much based off both a mixture of city driving and also dual carriageway.
I leave it in economy mode and fully auto and do try an drive sensibly and try to conserve fuel - Does this feel low?

My previous car was a Volvo S60 D5 Sport (Remapped) and i would get an average of 37mpg almost regardless of how it was driven.

I have tried two 'methods' so to speak:

1) Basically tickling the throttle as to try and use minimal fuel when accelerating

OR

2) Putting toe down a bit and getting up to cruising speed faster, then using the cruise control to maintain a constant speed.

I think I get better results using method 2 - also I think stop/start function seems to drop fuel economy?

Anybody able to provide some guidance here as to how to increase fuel economy? Does anyone have the same vehicle & what MPG are you getting?

Thanks

Jim
Hello Jim,

I have the 2007 220CDI with engine OM646 & 5 speed Auto. On a trip of almost 11 hours without refuelling I can achieve 53 MPG Imperial by the MB dash. With flowing town traffic 40 to 45 MPG.

I do not feather the throttle but accelerate lightly.

Over 110 km/hr the consumption rises quickly , 85 to 90 km/hr it is best . I have achieved 64 MPG at this speed . Headwinds, even if only slight make a marked difference.

For better mileage :-

Anticipate traffic in front of you,use brakes less, pump up tyres, drive slower, empty your boot ,check brakes for grabbing.

Relax & enjoy your new car . Its a beauty.

John
Attached Thumbnails New C220 Purchase - Fuel Consumption Advice?-fuel-figure-geelong-trip-2.jpg  

Last edited by Carsy; 08-28-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 AM

C220
Originally Posted by Carsy
Over 110 km/hr the consumption rises quickly , 85 to 90 km/hr it is best . I have achieved 64 MPG at this speed . Headwinds, even if only slight make a marked difference.
True, I have taken our c220 on several road trips and I have noticed that if I keep the speed around 90 km/h I get the best mileage.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:01 AM

C220 AMG Sport Plus
Thanks for the replies.

It does have an 'MPG graph' which i do use to try and work out how best to drive it.

Its pretty poor on juice though, i can't really understand it as i try and drive it efficiently. I bought the car expecting it to be more economical than my volvo, so its safe to say i've been left a little disappointed. (the cars lovely though).

Its still got a years warranty left too - do you think i should speak to the dealer about it?

Thanks

J
Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 AM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts
W205
no clue here but my upgraded C200 CDI + C250 biturbo, intercooler and injectors is at 6.2L/100km
before the upgrade i was at 5.9L/100km
no clue in MPG, the rest of the world uses the metric system :p
Old 08-31-2015, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by JimmyGrunt
Thanks for the replies.

It does have an 'MPG graph' which i do use to try and work out how best to drive it.

Its pretty poor on juice though, i can't really understand it as i try and drive it efficiently. I bought the car expecting it to be more economical than my volvo, so its safe to say i've been left a little disappointed. (the cars lovely though).

Its still got a years warranty left too - do you think i should speak to the dealer about it?

Thanks

J
Your engine is more modern than mine & should achieve a better consumption.

Saying that, I would be happy with 36MPG ( 6.5 litres /100 km) in city driving & some motorway. It depends very much on the % of each.

I would suggest when you drive totally motorway at 100-110 km/hr you should achieve in the low 5/l 100 km range ie 45-47 mpg.

Let us know the result.