C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

In the market with questions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Subaru WRX & 2009 Kawasaki ZX6r
In the market with questions!

I am looking to purchase a used C300 in the coming weeks but am new to the Europe market and had some questions I wanted to gather into one thread.

My range is 2009 to 2012, in my area the price is around $20k to $24k with under 70,000 miles, most below 50,000. Are there any actively known issues with this span of C300's?

What is the difference between the W203 and W204 and how do I tell which MB's I'm looking at are one or the other?

Are there any options to avoid or things to look at that might point to issues to come? (such as automatic vs manual)

Do any of the vehicles in my mentioned range come with factory HIDs?

Finally my main issue is the vehicle will be kept outside year around since I live in an apartment complex. Are there any precautions or things to consider to protect the clear coat, plastics, etc of the vehicle?

Sorry if these seem a bit generic, I come from the world of Subaru and things are much different over here. Not to mention I work in a Subaru performance shop; once you've seen sausage get made...."
Old 09-01-2015, 12:23 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Year range you mentioned will be w204 model. Like all pre owned, main thing to look at is condition and service and recalls have been performed. There are minor things with the 204, but nothing major. Lighting package does have factory xenons, but prefacelift has halogen projectors that are serviceable for an HID conversion. Rear folding seat idiotically is an option so if that's important to you, pay attention to that.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Current: '19 E450 Cabriolet - Past: '19 C300 Coupe, '12 SLK350, '16 E350, '14 C250 (x2), '09 CLK350
The W204 really is a reliable car, especially in the later years. I think in that year range I've read on these forums that some people have had issues with AWD models. Overall though, I don't think there's any major common multi-thousand dollar engine/powertrain/electrical gotchas. The interior got a very nice upgrade post-facelift in 2011, I think it started hitting here in the US in 2012.

I always recommend an extended warranty if the car is past 50k. Probably run you about 3 grand and pay for itself over the next few years. Goes for pretty much any MB, really. Post some pics when you pick one up!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:01 PM

2011 C300 Sport, 6-speed manual
"Are there any options to avoid or things to look at that might point to issues to come? (such as automatic vs manual)"

Manuals are very rare, but the two biggest issues I've seen here are related to the AWD and the automatic transmission, so a stick will avoid both of those. It's a decent stick, if a little notchy, but a great clutch.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Year range you mentioned will be w204 model. Like all pre owned, main thing to look at is condition and service and recalls have been performed. There are minor things with the 204, but nothing major. Lighting package does have factory xenons, but prefacelift has halogen projectors that are serviceable for an HID conversion. Rear folding seat idiotically is an option so if that's important to you, pay attention to that.
Awesome, as far as the conversion goes, I'm assuming you're talking about a retrofit. I just did a retrofit on my bike with some Mini D2S's and would love to have that same cutoff on a mercedes!

Originally Posted by MoneyVSOP
The W204 really is a reliable car, especially in the later years. I think in that year range I've read on these forums that some people have had issues with AWD models. Overall though, I don't think there's any major common multi-thousand dollar engine/powertrain/electrical gotchas. The interior got a very nice upgrade post-facelift in 2011, I think it started hitting here in the US in 2012.

I always recommend an extended warranty if the car is past 50k. Probably run you about 3 grand and pay for itself over the next few years. Goes for pretty much any MB, really. Post some pics when you pick one up!
Originally Posted by goducks3620
"Are there any options to avoid or things to look at that might point to issues to come? (such as automatic vs manual)"

Manuals are very rare, but the two biggest issues I've seen here are related to the AWD and the automatic transmission, so a stick will avoid both of those. It's a decent stick, if a little notchy, but a great clutch.
Well given I'm located in the Northeast most if not all the cars I've considered are AWD. I am keeping my Subaru so I will still have a winter vehicle for snow storms. I would like to stay with an automatic, I have my current car and bike to enjoy both speed and shifting, I want this next car to be the get in and go...comfortably vehicle.

These issues, we talking things like valves sticking or sensors going out?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by scubaru
These issues, we talking things like valves sticking or sensors going out?
Keep in mind for every one problem you hear on this forum, there are 1000s of W204s driving around without a problem, people tend to come here to complain about something going wrong. I've had 2 C63s and 2 C300s, and they've been the most reliable cars I've had.

I got my 2010 with 40k something mileage perfect with a 4 year/50k comprehensive warranty, every single option for $21k total, including tax, in May. You should be looking in that price range. You could get a nice facelifted one with 30k miles maybe even certified for 25ish.

The problems you have will mostly be cosmetic issues like things in your dash (buttons) breaking, and maybe some pipe leaking. You shouldn't have mechanical problems. Don't get an AWD because those are a pain to work with, and the automatic tranny is almost bulletproof except for the exception here and there. Get it inspected before you buy it to identify problems (make sure you get a good one), and don't beat the hell out of it (even though I constantly do this and still haven't really had a problem) or do stupid things and make sure you get it serviced/oil changed on time. These cars are tanks, you should not have a problem, and if you do, it'll be very minor and most likely cosmetic like a broken button.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:21 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Awesome, as far as the conversion goes, I'm assuming you're talking about a retrofit. I just did a retrofit on my bike with some Mini D2S's and would love to have that same cutoff on a mercedes!
I meant with just slapping a plug and play HID conversion kit on there utilizing the halogen projectors. It's not as clean as doing a full retrofit with proper HID projectors, but it's serviceable and for most, good enough. You're not blinding traffic with reflectors. If you're looking to do a true retrofit, that's really the proper way to go and some have done so. Just need to bake open the housing to gain access to the internals. You'd still need to pair it with an H7 HID kit. We're authorized dealers in Morimoto units so can set you up there if you choose.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ilumunus
Keep in mind for every one problem you hear on this forum, there are 1000s of W204s driving around without a problem, people tend to come here to complain about something going wrong. I've had 2 C63s and 2 C300s, and they've been the most reliable cars I've had.

I got my 2010 with 40k something mileage perfect with a 4 year/50k comprehensive warranty, every single option for $21k total, including tax, in May. You should be looking in that price range. You could get a nice facelifted one with 30k miles maybe even certified for 25ish.

The problems you have will mostly be cosmetic issues like things in your dash (buttons) breaking, and maybe some pipe leaking. You shouldn't have mechanical problems. Don't get an AWD because those are a pain to work with, and the automatic tranny is almost bulletproof except for the exception here and there. Get it inspected before you buy it to identify problems (make sure you get a good one), and don't beat the hell out of it (even though I constantly do this and still haven't really had a problem) or do stupid things and make sure you get it serviced/oil changed on time. These cars are tanks, you should not have a problem, and if you do, it'll be very minor and most likely cosmetic like a broken button.
So after I read your post and you mentioned about not getting the AWD option I went back on AutoTrader and took another look; the first page is all AWD vehicles. This image shows the first 6 are all 4MATIC's. I am not sure I have another option here, haha.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by AZN Optics
I meant with just slapping a plug and play HID conversion kit on there utilizing the halogen projectors. It's not as clean as doing a full retrofit with proper HID projectors, but it's serviceable and for most, good enough. You're not blinding traffic with reflectors. If you're looking to do a true retrofit, that's really the proper way to go and some have done so. Just need to bake open the housing to gain access to the internals. You'd still need to pair it with an H7 HID kit. We're authorized dealers in Morimoto units so can set you up there if you choose.
Sorry the only way I'm upgrading my headlights is a true retrofit. I've seen halogen projectors pull it off "sometimes" but if I'm buying a Mercedes I want it to look as far from cheap and rice as I can.

My 04 WRX has a Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit that's been running for over 3 years. My 09 ZX6r has a Morimoto Mini D2S retrofit I did this past winter. I love to retrofit!

This shows when I bought my bike it came with plug and play HIDs in the factory halogen projectors and after my retrofit...yes please!

Old 09-01-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 C350 Sedan
Stick with 2012+ for the facelift, the interior is much better. I believe all C300 are 4matic starting in 2012, and up north that will be very common. If you want RWD you'll have to look at the C250 or C350.
And the lighting package is worth it, retrofit doesn't have all the features of the intelligent head light system I think. Look for that, the driver assistance package, and keyless go for your options.

Last edited by Dynotrick; 09-01-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:09 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Sorry the only way I'm upgrading my headlights is a true retrofit. I've seen halogen projectors pull it off "sometimes" but if I'm buying a Mercedes I want it to look as far from cheap and rice as I can.

My 04 WRX has a Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit that's been running for over 3 years. My 09 ZX6r has a Morimoto Mini D2S retrofit I did this past winter. I love to retrofit!

This shows when I bought my bike it came with plug and play HIDs in the factory halogen projectors and after my retrofit...yes please!
Very clean! As mentioned, true retrofit is the proper way to do it and looks like you have the first hand experience to do so
Old 09-01-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
C300 4matic
You can go to http://www.truedelta.com/ they have information on reliability of the C300 by model year. it is very well done and the information comes from owners.