C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

iPhone music and Remote Start options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Subaru WRX & 2009 Kawasaki ZX6r
iPhone music and Remote Start options

I am currently looking at a 2012 Mercedes C300 and am making sure I research as much as I can before I pull the trigger on this beautiful machine.

The main issue is the ability to play my music from my iPhone through the COMAND system. In my current vehicle I only listen to spotify and my personal library using an aftermarket headunit. I've been searching the internet for answers only to find my options are Play through a FM transmitter (hell no), Play through the 3.5mm AUX (not user friendly), rig up some personal wifi network with 8' of wire and an AC inverter (again, hell no), or if I'm lucky the Mercedes I purchase has the Universal Media Interface Apple 30 pin connector and I guess I can buy a bluetooth adaptor for that?

Can I add the iPhone 30 pin connector harness to the car I purchase if it doesn't have this option already on it? And is this the most clear cut way to achieve music integration?

My final request is are there any Remote starter systems that can go through my iPhone or modified Keyless entry key? I'd rather not install a remote start system only to have to carry another key fob around. If anyone has one they can suggest please let me know how you like it and what the install is like.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2015, 02:40 PM

2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC
There is always bluetooth that you can connect your phone to and play over that. Never had a problem in my 2012 with the bluetooth connection.

There are aftermarket remote starts that can connect through your phone or the key fob, Viper SmartStart, for instance. I'm sure others can chime in on their experience with it and other options.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
2010 C350 Sport
Any remote start that works off a cellphone will have an annual fee since it connects over cellular networks. For example SmartStart runs at $70 per year.

There are modules that use your existing smartkey to remote start the car. You press the PANIC button twice in quick succession and the car starts. CompuStar and Mid City Engineering make units. Both are compatible with the CompuStar drone that allows smartphone connectivity.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:12 PM

2004 Subaru WRX & 2009 Kawasaki ZX6r
Originally Posted by GoHawks
There is always bluetooth that you can connect your phone to and play over that. Never had a problem in my 2012 with the bluetooth connection.

There are aftermarket remote starts that can connect through your phone or the key fob, Viper SmartStart, for instance. I'm sure others can chime in on their experience with it and other options.
I am not sure where I heard the bluetooth is only for the phone feature, that the only way to connect my iPhone for music is the AUX or 30 pin (which I don't use anymore). so the 2012 not only allows you to play music through bluetooth but can be controlled by the COMAND system?

Originally Posted by Shimee
Any remote start that works off a cellphone will have an annual fee since it connects over cellular networks. For example SmartStart runs at $70 per year.

There are modules that use your existing smartkey to remote start the car. You press the PANIC button twice in quick succession and the car starts. CompuStar and Mid City Engineering make units. Both are compatible with the CompuStar drone that allows smartphone connectivity.
See I thought they used the Bluetooth or wifi to connect to the car; Awesome I will look into both of those. So far I've seen those 2 companies and Viper, but I feel like CompuStar is made specific for Mercedes if I'm not mistaken and only takes a few simple steps to install.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250
In my 2012 C250, which has the 'base' stereo (no nav, no HK), my iPhone 6+ bluetooths nicely for both phone and streaming (although so far, no texts appear). Mine does have a USB plug and the iPod adaptor pigtail in the console, but none of my iPods work with either plug. The USB charges the iPod, but the car doesn't recognize the device, or something to that effect. It's a little annoying, but my phone covers it, so I haven't been too concerned.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
The no Bluetooth streaming was only from 2008 to 2011, the 2012+ can stream over Bluetooth. I know that for mine with the COMMAND upgrade, I can control Pandora from the steering wheel and when using the Media/iPhone cable in center armrest, I can play + charge.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:16 PM

2008 G55
I have a 2008 G55, I've spent several months researching about the capability to add Bluetooth for audio - or even a aux stereo cable option. In my center console there is an aux jack, but I was told it was for a Nokia phone only, which seems odd. I understand there is a third party adapter that can be tied into the trucks fiber optic loop from the CD changer, and a harness for a 30-pin adapter can be routed to the glove box (for iPhone). This is around $600 installed.

Anyone run into this issue, and is there a way enable the existing bluetooth for audio instead of phone only? Maybe a Command software update?
Old 09-23-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250
An update on my '12 C250... It turns out the salesman (typical!) simply gave me the incorrect cable for my car. Apparently it was for a different model, so it wouldn't allow communication to/from the iPod. The dealer installed the correct cable and I now have total iPod control using the Comand system.

AMG Joe, one car I considered was an '08 E350. Apparently, those could bluetooth to certain phones, using some sort of accessory cradle, and there was no provision for streaming music. That now-outdated technology is one reason I didn't buy the car.

I took a quick look at Crutchfield ( www.crutchfield.com ), but even they don't list any replacement head units for your G Class. You might call them though- they are the experts, in my experience.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:48 PM

2008 G55
I'm wondering if a firmware update on the Command system will allow my to tie into bluetooth audio. Still researching. I'd rather keep this truck stock, radio sounds great just no bluetooth. Tired of hearing Taylor Swift songs on the radio.

Thanks for your reply.