C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

BEST Front and Rear Dash cam help

Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
BEST Front and Rear Dash cam help

BlackVue DR650GW-2CH anyone have this camera?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/reviews/...afed4c5101en21

my girlfriend was hit in her car thankfully it wasn't bad but i'd like to get her a top notch front and rear dash cam so she doesn't panic if something like this happens again.

recommendations would be great but I'm only interested in a camera that is front and rear recording Thanks all
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
It's been almost a year since I've installed dash cams on my cars, but before you get tunnel visioned on a specific make/model, let me bring up a feature that is often overlooked; the backup power source. To me this is the #1 must have requirement regardless of make/model and let me explain.

Most focus purely on video quality, or in your case, front AND rear view camera, however most cams out there rely on battery as the backup source. The reason why this is a MAJOR flaw is because over time, the built in battery WILL FAIL. In general, while the camera may be recording live, you wont be able to view the file until it (camera logic) ends the file with a final write command. This write command will trigger in 2 ways, 1: the predefined loop is met (ex: 1min, 3min, 5min), or 2: the camera senses that it lost primary power and will issue a write command while being powered by the backup source (usually a battery).

While this is great for the first year or 2, over time that backup battery will DIE and you would not be given a warning, and you'll eventually have every video file that the camera records while the power is shut will be corrupt. I hope you are still following, since that means the camera is working perfectly fine when you start the car, its fine while you are DRIVING the car. What will shock you is in the end, if you ever get into a crash that forces the camera to loose power, OR if you turn your car OFF immediately after an accident, you will essentially never have recorded the impact.

This is why I insist, that if you DO end up with a camera, regardless of make/model, make sure the backup power source is sound. This is also why I've opted against any camera that relies on batteries but instead use a capacitor to perform that final write command each and every time the power is cut off, intentionally or not.

Good luck, and for the record I opted to go with a wedge type design and so far everyone who's seen it thinks its a built in option since it doesn't look aftermarket at all.
The following users liked this post:
alfster1 (06-14-2018)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thats good to know thanks for that. so something hard wired to the battery would be the best bet? so would the power magic pro for this camera be a good option or should I look at other camera options?
Old 02-09-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S550
I have that exact BlackVue model dash cam. Works perfect, great features. Easy to wire, and i recommend power magic pro. Most stores include it free.
It has capacitors for backup power, which lasts just long enough to save your video.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by newmbmarko
...so something hard wired to the battery would be the best bet?
Not necessarily. What I mean to say is whatever you pick, make sure it's powered by a capacitor and not a battery.

Example:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Capacitor-Version-Dashboard-Driving/dp/B00UURTAS6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455041771&sr=8-3&keywords=dash+cam+capacitor http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Capacitor-Version-Dashboard-Driving/dp/B00UURTAS6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455041771&sr=8-3&keywords=dash+cam+capacitor
My version can either be called "A118C" or "B40C".

In my case, I opted to go with a non-GPS based, forward facing camera to minimize self-incrimination. However if I was a business owner and managed a fleet of vehicles, then yes, I would go for dual facing, GPS enabled cameras. Sometimes you have to strike a balance if you know what I mean

P.S.
The B40C/A118C also accepts 64GB cards (undocumented). This roughly gives you 10 hours of video, which is plenty in the event you valet your car and later want to know what the drivers did when you get back home.

Last edited by edgalang; 02-09-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ya I'm thinking duel it is our company car better to be safe than sorry i just need to find the best bang for your buck set up. I'm not to concerned about the price i felt if its close to 600$ thats normal for the higher end stuff
Old 02-10-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c300 Sport
I currently have this unit and have been very happy with it. It has an internal battery and auto on/off w/ key. Also has a motion option when the car is off in case someone backs into you or some other scenario. Bang for the buck, I like it.
Amazon.com : TaoTronics Car Dashboard Camera HD 1080P Wide Angle with G-Sensor WDR Night Mode 2.7" Screen : Electronics Amazon.com : TaoTronics Car Dashboard Camera HD 1080P Wide Angle with G-Sensor WDR Night Mode 2.7" Screen : Electronics
Old 02-10-2016, 11:14 PM

I used these guys when I was doing research. Maybe these reviews will help you decide.

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/

But I do want to emphasize, the most important feature IMO is "capacitor".
Old 02-11-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c300 Sport
Originally Posted by edgalang
I used these guys when I was doing research. Maybe these reviews will help you decide.

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/

But I do want to emphasize, the most important feature IMO is "capacitor".
"capacitor"? Please explain what you mean. A cap is an electronic component used on PCBs for temp elect energy storage. At least that's what I was taught!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for the replies guys but damn there are so many options when looking into it. a lot more than i thought
Old 02-11-2016, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by stgry1
"capacitor"? Please explain what you mean. A cap is an electronic component used on PCBs for temp elect energy storage. At least that's what I was taught!
In the dashcam world, when someone refers to it being capacitor powered, they mean that when the camera looses power, it is powered by a capacitor instead of a battery. This is critical because in order for the videos to not be corrupt, the camera needs to issue a final write command, so you will need a temporary source of power while the camera logic saves the file before it shuts down (or looses power). The first releases of dashcams used a battery to perform this, however over time the batteries will eventually fail, whereas a capacitor will most likely last the entire life of the unit.

Pros: Higher heat tolerance and an almost guarantee that you'll always have your files in tact.

Cons: Because the capacitor will only last seconds, you cant remove it from car and use it like you would a Gopro.

The reason above is also why GoPros in general would make a poor everyday dashcam.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 SERIES GRAN COUPE
There's plenty of decent enough front and rear models on the market, just comes down to how much you're willing to pay + if you're happy with a 2 part one (1 camera at both ends of the car), or if you just want the 1 fitted camera that faces both ends.

For a 2 part camera the Blackvue is ok, for a 1 part you could consider the Nextbase Duo. Check out https://cardashcamreviews.com/best-f...r-dash-cam-uk/ for some models to go for.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Camry
Originally Posted by MB Marko
thanks for the replies guys but damn there are so many options when looking into it. a lot more than i thought
Was reading through this thread and this comment here is exactly my problem right now. Presently I am in a situation where I can't even pick one because there are so many of them. What I need right now is someone to say "hey use this one, it is durable, cheap and that" and I'll go for it. I stumbled upon this site https://dashcamcar.com/, there is a lot of detailed review there, but I still can't choose.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:05 AM

Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts
S204 C250 CDI Sport
As above - capacitor .

Then there's the SD card memory type MLC Nand !

Motion detection is hit and miss but some wake up sensing a collision or to start recording with you entering and closing the door .

Parking mode is essential as it captures the best footage as low speed / stationary and alot of bumps happen in car parks .
Old 05-01-2019, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
Forget blackvue, they were the first but have too many quality issues. Your best choices are iRoad and Thinkware with the latter being the better of the 2. iRoad was ok but their app isn't stable, their WiFi hardware has some issues. Almost all my friends have transitioned from iroad to thinkware.