C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Clicky plasticy noise when turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C200 (w204)
Clicky plasticy noise when turning steering wheel

Hey guys

My car is out of warranty in a few months so I wanted to get something resolved through the dealers before it ends. I've showed them the noise but they said it's normal. But I'm not sure... Anywho, here's the problem:

When I turn the steering wheel (moreso obvious at low speeds but heavy rotation). I hear a quiet plasticy sound. But could also sound like leather rubbing? It's not leather though.

There is that plastic panel under the steering wheel which makes a plasticy noise when moved (it kind of creeks), but holding that does not stop the noise.

I also have a problem when I hear weird clicking noises when indicating right and turning wheel, but it's not the same noise. So not sure if they're linked.

Any thoughts? Or is some type of noise when turning the steering wheel to be expected?
Old 06-26-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts
325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Originally Posted by ash.1111
Hey guys

My car is out of warranty in a few months so I wanted to get something resolved through the dealers before it ends. I've showed them the noise but they said it's normal. But I'm not sure... Anywho, here's the problem:

When I turn the steering wheel (moreso obvious at low speeds but heavy rotation). I hear a quiet plasticy sound. But could also sound like leather rubbing? It's not leather though.

There is that plastic panel under the steering wheel which makes a plasticy noise when moved (it kind of creeks), but holding that does not stop the noise.

I also have a problem when I hear weird clicking noises when indicating right and turning wheel, but it's not the same noise. So not sure if they're linked.

Any thoughts? Or is some type of noise when turning the steering wheel to be expected?
I'm familiar with that sound. I also heard it more when turning the wheel and backing up. For us it was the torque arm bushings, replaced under warranty.

Discussion here.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C200 (w204)
Thanks. I've taken a read though and not sure? It does seem like the sound comes from the steering wheel vicinity.