C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C350
New owner with some questions

So I just purchased my first Mercedes (2009 C350 sedan). I know virtually nothing about exhaust mechanics and have some questions.

I am looking for a more sporty sound. Particularly deep pitched. I have been looking into H-pipes and X-pipes but am still confused on exactly what they are/ how they are installed and what they sound like. Also I hear about "muffler delete" but have absolutely no idea what that is. Can somebody with experience shed some light on the topic? Also, I was wondering if a mod like this could be reversed and if you think it would void my warranty at my local Mercedes-Benz dealership.
Thanks

Last edited by citrila; 08-30-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:04 AM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
When it comes to sound, there is an exhaust thread if you search the forum with MANY different sound clips and the setup the people are running.

X-Pipe and H-Pipe can be explained via google, fairly simple concept though, even a few pictures from google will drastically help you understand what's going on.

Muffler delete is legitimately just replacing your muffler with a piece of pipe, essentially just "deleting" it from the car.

If you don't do it yourself, reversal will be costly for warranty work and dealer maintenance. If you DO do it yourself, it will be a PITA, but I think a lot of people have no problem with warranty, I have no idea! Maybe one of the other members can chime in here. I would assume it would void some warranty.

Hope that helps!

Welcome to the forum!!!! Glad to have you.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250
Removing mufflers from a car will not 'void the warranty', but it is illegal in pretty much every state. Many modern cars won't get THAT loud without mufflers (because of the catalytic converters), but some states may catch you with inspections, etc. In many cases, a car will be noticeably louder with no mufflers, but sound quality generally suffers.

Personally, as a life-long hot rodder who has modified the exhaust of almost every car I've owned, I would never eliminate mufflers and will not modify the exhaust of my MB. I'm enjoying the quiet stealth too much in this one! My next V8 hot rod will be loud, but not this car.

H- and X-pipes are crossover pipes that balance the pressure pulses exiting each bank of a 'V' engine (V6, V8, V10, V12) using dual exhaust. Cars with single exhaust systems wouldn't use one, as there are not two pipes to equalize.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Citrila,
There is a very informative thread specifically dealing with all manners of exhaust. It is laden with pictures and videos. It should be in the first two pages. Welcome to the forum from another relatively newbie