C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Extended warranty and SRS warning light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lincoln Navigator
Extended warranty and SRS warning light

Hey everyone. Srs warning light is on my 2011 Mercedes C300. I have extended manufacterer warranty on that. I took my to the Mercedes dealer to show the problem and they told me that they found can of a pineapple juice under the passenger seat and that pineapple juice damaged the brackets. Now that dealer claims that can of juice will void the warranty and i have to pay for it out of my pocket. I get my car detailed once in a year and i was aware of i was keeping that can under the passanger seat. Also same dealer and same service manager told me my AC just works fine couple weeks ago before i had to replace my whole blower. So obviously that Mercedes dealer do not wanna fix my car with my certified extended warranty. I just need your opinions guys. You think is it my fault that i left the can of juice under my seat so that will cost me over 500$ ? Or this dealer really do not wanna use my warranty even tough airbag issues covered by that ? Plus i have to add i had a recall letter from Mercedes five months ago about the airbags ? I do not really know what to do any advice would be so helpful. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
physical damage under the seat from a foreign object should never be covered under any warranty. the recall is totally unrelated.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:25 PM

Lincoln Navigator
Thank you for your reply. Im just wondering, It wouldnt be covered even though my intention was not leaving the juice under the seat ? What kind of damage could this can of juice give to the airbag ? Airbag system is not supposed to be covered for any damage ?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by derrickrose1989
Thank you for your reply. Im just wondering, It wouldnt be covered even though my intention was not leaving the juice under the seat ? What kind of damage could this can of juice give to the airbag ? Airbag system is not supposed to be covered for any damage ?
There are a lot of electrical components under the seats and the seats move so if there is a foreign object under there then things are going to break. Warranty is a warranty not an insurance policy for accidental damage.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:38 PM

Lincoln Navigator
Originally Posted by Rocman8
There are a lot of electrical components under the seats and the seats move so if there is a foreign object under there then things are going to break. Warranty is a warranty not an insurance policy for accidental damage.
I understand. So i have no chance to get the airbag fixed under my warranty ? If i do not get it fixed, what type of problems i would have to deal with it ?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
This is definitely something you will have to pay for out of pocket. I suggest finding an independent mechanic, not a dealer.

Also, if you do not get it repaired the airbags may not work in an accident and the lives of you and your passengers could be at risk. Not worth it.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Lincoln Navigator
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
This is definitely something you will have to pay for out of pocket. I suggest finding an independent mechanic, not a dealer.

Also, if you do not get it repaired the airbags may not work in an accident and the lives of you and your passengers could be at risk. Not worth it.
Thank you lilbenz230 for your reply. Dealer say they cannot prove that can of juice damaged the brackets so when they cannot even prove that, why it should be something i need to pay out of my pocket ? Like i mentioned when my ac did not work they said water melted from ice, plugged the blower and they said there is nothing to fix and then they ended up fixing my blower after one week i wasnt able to use my heat. So do you think i should request the proof that can caused all that ? And is it fine to take it to the independence shop to get it fixed ? They said brackets are damaged and they are asking for 400$, how much it would be at the independence shop ?
Old 01-14-2017, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Only the independent mechanic can quote you a price, but I'd say expect savings of 33-50% on average.

If the brackets were damaged by a metallic can banging around under the seat, I'd think it would be obvious. Or did they say the can leaked and the fluid damaged something?
Old 01-14-2017, 01:03 PM

Lincoln Navigator
Only the independent mechanic can quote you a price, but I'd say expect savings of 33-50% on average.

If the brackets were damaged by a metallic can banging around under the seat, I'd think it would be obvious. Or did they say the can leaked and the fluid damaged something?
No all they said was they found a mettalic unopened can under the seat. So that would void the warranty just because it was under the seat. They did not even tell me excatly that bracket was damaged because of that mettalic can.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You need to force them to give you the full information. Ask what bracket, and how it was damaged. Do not accept stupid answers.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:39 PM

Lincoln Navigator
You need to force them to give you the full information. Ask what bracket, and how it was damaged. Do not accept stupid answers.
I definitely agree with you. They dont give me enough explanation they dont let me to speak with service manager all they say there was a pineapple juice under the seat and that voids my warranty for airbag. No other explanation. It is not really about the money i am about to pay for it. It is about they can just tell me i am not able to use my warranty because of a pineapple juice. We do not even know it damaged the brackets or we dont even know it was really underneat the brackets.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C300 4 Matic sport
Look at the drivers side seat belt clicker on both sides look straight down for 2 wires just about where the seat belt bolts to the side of the seat on both side driver and passenger your more than likely gonna find one of the 2 wires separated from wear causing the air bag light to come on, I'm a master tech and fixed this problem twice on both my W204 benz's had to solder the wiring back together, just take a peak and see if the wires are separated from wear of going back n forth on the seat track,,,,,
Old 01-16-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
A can won't cause damage. Maybe if it got wedged under when the seat was adjusted up or down for height but the probability of that happening is not very likely.

If the dealer said they can't prove that can of juice did it and there is no evidence of physical damage then they should fix it under warranty. The dealer will get reimbursed by the warranty company, no?

If so then what the hell is the problem? Your dealer sounds pretty useless and is grasping at straws.

Last edited by Colin G; 01-16-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Lincoln Navigator
Originally Posted by sdenney89
Look at the drivers side seat belt clicker on both sides look straight down for 2 wires just about where the seat belt bolts to the side of the seat on both side driver and passenger your more than likely gonna find one of the 2 wires separated from wear causing the air bag light to come on, I'm a master tech and fixed this problem twice on both my W204 benz's had to solder the wiring back together, just take a peak and see if the wires are separated from wear of going back n forth on the seat track,,,,,
unfortunately i am not very good at fixing the cars. But i have friends who are good at it. So you would say i dont need to throw away 400$ to dealer for it ?
Old 01-16-2017, 05:56 PM

Lincoln Navigator
Originally Posted by Colin G
A can won't cause damage. Maybe if it got wedged under when the seat was adjusted up or down for height but the probability of that happening is not very likely.

If the dealer said they can't prove that can of juice did it and there is no evidence of physical damage then they should fix it under warranty. The dealer will get reimbursed by the warranty company, no?

If so then what the hell is the problem? Your dealer sounds pretty useless and is grasping at straws.
i went to my dealer today to pick my car up they said if they send this to Mercedes they would call it as an accident and they wouldnt cover it under the warranty because there was a can involved and damaged the brackets. Dealer voided the inspection fee and gave my car back. Do you guys think i should go and talk to other certified mercedes benz dealers in my city ? He did not wanna show or prove me anything all he said was Mercedes benz wouldnt cover this and he said he voided my inspecton fee.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I would definitely take it somewhere else to get a diagnosis where they could explain better and even show you what the issue is. The end result may be the same, but at least you would understand what happened. Right now you really don't know. Plus, you probably would want to take that can of pineapple juice out of there.