C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

We're Building a W204 C300 Race Car!

Old 01-19-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 M_B C300 ... Wife drives a 2007 GL450
Awesome .... Can't wait to hear bout the racing results and possibly watching in tv
Old 01-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 154 Likes on 108 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
Also make sure to record some videos of the race or even stream it if you can! We're on your team haha.
We will definitely be documenting each race for sure. And we are also working on a setup for live streaming from inside the car as well.

Originally Posted by ghlkal
I'll be following this with interest.

I hope to be at autobahn in August and hopefully I'll see you there.

If you go we will be there. We are scheduled to be at all 7 races this year. Autobahn is going to be different as a night race, 13 hours straight, already looking into lighting.

Originally Posted by Crimzon
Awesome .... Can't wait to hear bout the racing results and possibly watching in tv
We will definitely be publishing results and documentation on the races. Unfortunately, AER is not aired on TV but we are hoping to live stream every race from inside the car.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Great looking build. Should be a fairly stout platform. The only thing I would worry about is the clutch as you don't know how it was driven prior to you guys. May want to carry one along just in case.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C43, White with Red interior
Awesome build !

Def let us know of what parts you will have for sale. I for one could use a seat bottom, or may even buy a whole seat !
Old 01-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
C300, 93tt RX7, 88RX7 Vet, 83RX7
Good luck at the race! Looking good so far guys....
Old 01-19-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Man now I miss my W204 6 speed. Did you guys drive it stock much? Isn't that clutch wonderful?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Atlas Grey
Great looking build. Should be a fairly stout platform. The only thing I would worry about is the clutch as you don't know how it was driven prior to you guys. May want to carry one along just in case.
Thank you for the compliment and the suggestion. And we have a bunch of spares we will have on hand including a clutch. It's one of those things we don't want to have to replace at a race but it's also one of those things where if it fails it will prevent us from being able to race.

Originally Posted by PortC300
Awesome build !

Def let us know of what parts you will have for sale. I for one could use a seat bottom, or may even buy a whole seat !
Thank you. And we certainly will. We have everything sort of in a large container at the moment. Just a matter of going through everything and figuring out part numbers.

Originally Posted by Frnakito71
Good luck at the race! Looking good so far guys....
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ders
Man now I miss my W204 6 speed. Did you guys drive it stock much? Isn't that clutch wonderful?
We drove it for a few days before taking it apart. The clutch is definitely very smooth, probably one of the smoothest I have driven.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Last night we worked on the car from about 4:30 until about 12:30. However, in the 8 hours we worked on the car we got a lot done and I am happy to say that the car is now moving under it's own power. Yesterday marked a huge day on the build as the wheels came in and we had were able to get the tires mounted and balanced.

The wheel we have decided to go with is the TSW Roatary Forged Turbina wheel. It looks like a wheel that should be on a Mercedes and it's relatively light weight. There's lots of material in the spoke area which is also nice. Machining and finish also looked to be of high quality as well:

The tires we have gone with are Bridgsteone RE-71R with 255/35-18 on all 4 corners. In AER the minimum treadwear allowed is 200. So this tire is right on that mark. It's also one of the more popular options for tires in AER as well. Below is a photo of the tire mounted and balanced on one of the wheels:

The next step in this equation was getting wheel studs installed. For wheel studs we are running MSI studs and hardware. MSI is one of the leading manufacturers in studs and also probably one of the safest. All the cars in NASCAR run their studs and nuts. They're not cheap, but being that they hold the wheel to the hub it's also not an area where you want to go cheap as an inferior stud can easily break. To install the studs we used red loctite, double nutted the stud, and installed flush to the wheel hub. Then we mounted and torqued the wheels down. It takes about 30 minutes for the loctite to cure. At that point, you're good to go.

We did an initial test fit of the new wheels on the passenger side of the car to make sure they would clear. On the setup we are running we clear the front spring adjuster by about half an inch and surprisingly almost clear the fenders in the front with the tires. We will roll the fenders slightly to make more clearance but this setup is perfect and more importantly it clears the P30 AMG brakes:

Next up on the list we broke the crew up into a few teams. We had one team doing some in car prep (installing window net and other safety items) and another team to deal with resealing and installing the differential. Yours truly was on the team taking care of the differential. We installed new side cover seals and used Loctite 5970 to seal the cover to the differential housing.

Installing the differential was a three person job, we basically had one dead lift the differential in place, while the other guided the stub shaft of the axles in, and while the other held on to the loose components of the suspension on the passenger side (that's the side we chose to loosen up to clearance the axles when we originally dropped the differential out). All of this was a juggling act but I did manage to catch a few photos. We also installed new mounting bolts for the differential and torqued to spec:

With the differential installed we went ahead and filled it up. Since we now have a limited slip we couldn't use the same gear oil used in the factory fill. However, we do have an exciting partnership with ROWE this year in our racing efforts. We are using their products for the differential, engine, and grease. We went ahead and filled the differential up to capacity:

Next up on the agenda was to bleed the brakes and get all the old brake fluid out and get some new stuff in. For brake fluid we are going to use Motul RBF 660 which is a DOT4 racing fluid with a very high dry boiling point. We flush the brakes at the end of every race and this is what we will be using this year. Also, the Motive power bleeder makes quick work of this operation as well:

After bleeding the brakes and ensuring all air had been removed from the system we went ahead and put the wheels on all 4 corners again. At this point we were ready to put the car down on all 4's . This is what it looks like on the ground again:

I also have a quick video where we took the car for a "spin" inside of our work space. I will try to get that up as well. At this moment we are about 75% complete on the project.

Last edited by FCPEuro; 01-20-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo gsxr 1000, accord soon to be mercedes
c63 calipers ? and what motor are you going with ? or are you sticking with the one you have
Old 01-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Originally Posted by D-Ramey
c63 calipers ? and what motor are you going with ? or are you sticking with the one you have
Yes, exactly. We are running the C63 P30 package brakes. We also have a C63 front wheel carrier and C63 lower control arm for added camber. The main reason for the C63 wheel carrier is so that we can use the bolt in hub assembly vs the slide on bearing and hub traditionally used on the C300. Easier maintenance and replacement really.

And we're going to be running the stock M272 engine but we're going to do all that we can to ensure reliability. Primary reason for using the C300 is it puts us in a very competitive class and it's going to keep the operating costs down for the season. We were originally looking at using a C63, but to make the stints work out we would have to add an additional fuel cell.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
If only we all had that kind of budget lolol

Make those bimmers eat your dust!
Old 01-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
If only we all had that kind of budget lolol

Make those bimmers eat your dust!
True, in a perfect world everyone would be able to build a race car. But outside of the racing effort and being successful doing so some of positives that we hope to get and demonstrate from this project is that the W204 chassis is extremely capable and that if someone wanted to do something different that it's a viable platform. We are also looking to prove mechanical reliability and identify any weak areas that can be addressed with alternative or engineered solutions.

A few observations so far while working on this platform:

1) Construction is solid. Just looking at the B-pillars and the frame rails it's multiple sheets of steel, chassis felt very sold and planted when it was stock
2) Multi link front and rear suspension, very similar overall layout to what BMW employs on the E9X 3-series platforms
3) Part availability and modular design (C63 components bolt up, no special adapters required)
4) Layout of the car makes sense, access to fasteners and components is not hindered or restricted too much

Overall, this car has been surprisingly fun and relatively painless to work on. I think that is a characteristic that makes for a great race car. Also, all of the above comes from a 12 year BMW enthusiast. I have very high praises for this car and I hope to see it eat some BMW's on the track this year.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Here is a quick video clip of the C300 moving under it's own power. We're taking it to be wrapped and to be aligned so it should be coming back mid/late next week. Figured you guys might enjoy this quick clip.

The following users liked this post:
intrdrgn (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 Mercedes C300 Sport
Sounds Sick!!!
Old 01-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2011 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sedan
This build is like a dream come true!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
wow engine sounds exotic.
makes me want to remove my exhaust on my 12 c300 just to rev it . lol
Old 01-22-2017, 07:13 PM

08 C350
Nice work on documenting the build so far. Keep the updates coming!

What are the specs on the wheels? Are they 18x8.5 +45 offset? You've inspired me to get 255s for the front if all you had to do was roll the fenders a bit.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:43 AM

C300
The best of lucks
Old 01-23-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Sounds great but do I detect a light squealing maybe from the belt tensioner or one of the pulleys for the belt. They are all relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. I race a Focus so I know all about carrying spare parts. May want to add them to the list.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:06 PM

C300 Sport
The car is looking awesome!

You guys are basically running down a list I put together of future mods for my C300 manual - if I didn't have another car to track. I am very interested to see/hear more about the limited slip in particular.

Curious if you've considered any sway bar upgrade - Eibach makes a set that some owners have praised here.

Also you may want to look up Schmidt Motorsports - they campaigned a C300 in the Continental Tire series for a few races - always cool to see the C300 out on the track!
Old 01-23-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by FCPEuro
Yes, exactly. We are running the C63 P30 package brakes. We also have a C63 front wheel carrier and C63 lower control arm for added camber. The main reason for the C63 wheel carrier is so that we can use the bolt in hub assembly vs the slide on bearing and hub traditionally used on the C300. Easier maintenance and replacement really.

And we're going to be running the stock M272 engine but we're going to do all that we can to ensure reliability. Primary reason for using the C300 is it puts us in a very competitive class and it's going to keep the operating costs down for the season. We were originally looking at using a C63, but to make the stints work out we would have to add an additional fuel cell.
This thread is very awesome, I am so glad you guys are doing this. Everybody here will be rooting for you guys this season!

PS: Do you mind posting some part numbers of stuff you're using and what brand from? Links to the part from your site would be perfect too. I am interested in the C63 front carrier and front lower control arms you're using.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:26 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Competition racing is all about the pursuit of fastest lap times....

That’s where we come in when it comes to traction to hit those corner apexes everytime and also dramatically reduce understeer – allowing to go deeper into the corners with increased traction and braking response.

At K-MAC we have the long term experience of manufacturing and race testing adjustable strut tops and bushing kits for Camber and Caster longer than anyone else with the World’s largest range Audi to Volvo.

CHECKLIST OF WHAT IS AVAILABLE TO SUIT THE W204 – (and virtually every other Model Mercedes Benz) only front and rear Toe adjustment OEM !

1. Replacement of the ‘4’ front suspension bushings with K-MAC unique patented design bushings that provide twice the load bearing area, are 2 axis/self aligning without the OEM oil and air voids – result is noticeably improved brake and steering response. Along with increased track width – up to extra 30mm.

2. These 4 bushings are also precisely adjustable for Camber and Caster (‘5’ times the adjustment range of the inaccurate ‘one' offset position fluted bolts). “Single wrench” adjustment –“accurately on car under load” – direct on alignment rack.

3. Replacement top strut mounts – coil spring suspension (no mods to fit)
  • Precisely Camber and Caster adjustable from engine bay – 30 seconds the time taken to undo the 3 top strut mount nuts
  • Unlike other brands this K-MAC patented design break through means at track side – setting change can be carried out without labour/time consuming strut removal each time!
  • Can also adjust settings with strut brace fitted
  • When used with the lower arm K-MAC bushings allows serious adjustment – up to “4.5” degrees negative Camber!
  • Manufactured not from steel or soft billet alloy but highest aircraft 7075 grade aluminum
  • Fit with OEM diameter springs or all brands of coil overs 60 – 70mm ID
  • Stage 2 (Street/Race) has similar (but uprated) centers to OEM – for day to day commuting (same adjustment range as Stage 3)
  • Stage 3 (Full Race) features massive H/Duty (47mm diameter) self align spherical bearings (PTFE lined)
  • Both Stage 2 and 3 K-MAC kits feature separate radial thrust bearings for steering loads/prevent spring drag/binding
  • Both kits – centers are replaceable for virtual lifetime usage
  • Designed so no height increase and absolute minimum stack height when coil overs fitted
4. For the rear suspension – replacement lower control arm inner bushes which are precisely Camber adjustable (and with twice the load bearing area). The K-MAC patented design like the front bushes allows single wrench adjustment accurately under load. The advantage over “rear upper control arms” is easy access at track side to “fine tune” adjustment and adjusting “lower arms” maintains all important clearance “top of tire to outer fender”.

Bush extraction tool included so bushes can be installed on vehicle. K-MAC kit also includes “extra Toe adjustment” to compensate for this new rear Camber facility.

5. ALSO FOR THE REAR SUSPENSION – set of 12 bushes to replace the end mounts on the “multi link” arms (6). Essential for performance driving/track days.

We saw the need to manufacture these high performance bushings to accurately locate the rear end reducing unwanted flex. Noticeably improved traction/stability especially when applying power to lane change/overtake. Unlike unforgiving short life Delrin style bushings that soon pound out the K-MAC design incorporates all the proven features – maximum diameter, but lightweight alloy casings with bonded elastomer bushings to contain side loads and large load bearing nickel chromed steel inners. Complete with bush extraction/insertion tubes.

FRONT CAMBER AND CASTER BUSHING KIT
W204, X204, C207/A207 incl Black Series W204, C209 #502616K $480

FRONT ADJUSTABLE STRUT TOPS (COIL SPRING SUSPENSION)
W204/X204 incl Black Series C207/A207
Stage 2 (Street/Race) #503016-2L $545
Stage 3 (Full Race) #503016-3L $545

C209 Black Series
Stage 2 (Street/Race) #502616-2L $545
Stage 3 (Full Race) #502616-3L $545

Rear Camber (and extra Toe) Bushing kit
W204, X204, C207/A207 #502226K $480
C209 Black Series #501526H $320

Rear ‘12’ link Bushings
W204, X204, C207/A207 #502628K $480
All AMG and Black Series #502628-1K $480

Delivery $40 one kit or $50 front and rear kits. We accept PayPal, Visa or MasterCard.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Originally Posted by intrdrgn
Sounds Sick!!!
Not too bad, very surprised with the exhaust note. The sound includes the OE manifolds, catalytic converters, and factory x pipe.

Originally Posted by mr.brightside
This build is like a dream come true!

Originally Posted by tekfoc
wow engine sounds exotic.
makes me want to remove my exhaust on my 12 c300 just to rev it . lol
It's basically the factory exhaust with the axle back removed. We're going to fab something up for the rear portion of the exhaust but want to keep this sound for sure.

Originally Posted by mangoango
Nice work on documenting the build so far. Keep the updates coming!

What are the specs on the wheels? Are they 18x8.5 +45 offset? You've inspired me to get 255s for the front if all you had to do was roll the fenders a bit.
Thank you. I will definitely keep this thread up to date. I will need to confirm the specs on the wheels but will update you with the info once I get it. And believe it or not but there is no rubbing, but we will roll the fenders foe extra clearance. I know for certain if this were to go off the track at minimum the tires will likely grab the fender liners in the front.

Originally Posted by Jacobo
The best of lucks
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Atlas Grey
Sounds great but do I detect a light squealing maybe from the belt tensioner or one of the pulleys for the belt. They are all relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. I race a Focus so I know all about carrying spare parts. May want to add them to the list.
Yes, there is a squeaking coming from the accessory belt area. Most likely the tensioner pulley. Once the car comes back from being wrapped we have to button a bunch of stuff up and we will be confirming the source of this noise and replacing the part causing it. We also have a spares list we are building for the car as well. Since no one else races a Mercedes in AER we will need to be completely reliant on what we bring. Last year with our E30 spare parts were not an issue.

Originally Posted by RLC300
The car is looking awesome!

You guys are basically running down a list I put together of future mods for my C300 manual - if I didn't have another car to track. I am very interested to see/hear more about the limited slip in particular.

Curious if you've considered any sway bar upgrade - Eibach makes a set that some owners have praised here.

Also you may want to look up Schmidt Motorsports - they campaigned a C300 in the Continental Tire series for a few races - always cool to see the C300 out on the track!
Thank you! Pretty happy with how it looks so far. Will be interested to see what it looks like once it's wrapped.

Sure thing. We documented the entire build on the differential so once we get that info together we'll share it. It's not a bad differential to set up. Just need to be concerned with pre-load on the pinion bearing more than anything else.

We'll be running the stock sway bars for now but will consider an upgrade if we see a benefit for it. We have Bilstein Clubsports installed at the moment so with the higher spring rate it's hard to say for certain if a bigger sway bar will add much of a benefit. We'll see after Road Atlanta and we'll have about 2 months to work through the car and make improvements before Watkins Glenn in April.

And yes, we did see some photos of the C300 that ran in the Continental series. Who knows, maybe our car will run in it one day.

Originally Posted by romeo291
This thread is very awesome, I am so glad you guys are doing this. Everybody here will be rooting for you guys this season!

PS: Do you mind posting some part numbers of stuff you're using and what brand from? Links to the part from your site would be perfect too. I am interested in the C63 front carrier and front lower control arms you're using.
Absolutely, don't mind publishing this info at all. I will put together a separate post on what's on the car. We've order a lot of parts, some of which are not on the car yet or may not end up on the car, so I'll have to dig through what's made the cut and what hasn't made the cut first. But I will definitely provide a list for sure.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 71 Likes on 69 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
Very good choice in tires. I bought those tires when they just came out and trust me they are awesome! Crazy grip in the dry and ARE great with heat in them. I put them on my 4cyl Altima for auto cross and was a few 10ths from 350z's and other sports cars. But, they are not good in significant rain as they will hydroplane like slicks, I'd recommend wet tires if it's real wet on the track so might want a backup set just in case.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Just204
Very good choice in tires. I bought those tires when they just came out and trust me they are awesome! Crazy grip in the dry and ARE great with heat in them. I put them on my 4cyl Altima for auto cross and was a few 10ths from 350z's and other sports cars. But, they are not good in significant rain as they will hydroplane like slicks, I'd recommend wet tires if it's real wet on the track so might want a backup set just in case.
We spent some time looking into tires and this was the obvious way to go. In AER you're only allowed to run tires with a minimum treadwear of 200. Wet conditions as you mentioned are always a concern and it's good to hear some first hand experience. I'll forward that info to our Director of Motorsports and mention we may want to look for wet tires just in case. Thank you for the feedback!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: We're Building a W204 C300 Race Car!