C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Clear Bra

I'm curious...in the Corvette community a "clear bra" to protect the nose from rock chips and other debris is common. I also have my headlights and side mirrors done as well. I'm thinking of having my MB done shortly after taking delivery in Nov. Do you guys in the MB community also take the same pre-cautions to prevent paint damage?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First heard about it browsing the bmw forums..Seems a little expensive.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=bra

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=bra
Old 08-27-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4Matic
A bit of DIY will cost you:

200ish~ for a good roll of carbon fibre or clear coat wrap.
30 for the finish tape liner
a friend and your sunday afternoon in a good weather.

I've done the wrap myself before, not pro level but it looks fine on its own.

if you can remove the parts yourself just wrap all around it with a little bit of help from hair blower.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
yep, have it on my current 09 C class. In total, I spent about 1000. 500 on the hood, 500 on the front bumper. Note that the bay area has this place that covers the full hood, meaning no ugly lines nor problems with waxing. They wrap the edges of the hood so you can't even tell its there. Same with the front bumper, not simply computer cut but hand fitted to the bumper.

Probably will do it again

Currently looking for ways to remove the front bumper wrap. I know you are supposed to wax it often but the front bumper, especially lower areas have gotten neglected. Plus water stains seem to stay on there. Problem with just peeling it is that i have damage on the lowest part where I often scrape curbs and I hear if you just peel, the places where there is damage will continue to peel off the clear coat off good areas.

Last edited by joshg1001; 08-27-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by NYC-Style
I'm curious...in the Corvette community a "clear bra" to protect the nose from rock chips and other debris is common. I also have my headlights and side mirrors done as well. I'm thinking of having my MB done shortly after taking delivery in Nov. Do you guys in the MB community also take the same pre-cautions to prevent paint damage?
Yes we do- it's pretty much the same process for any of us enthusiasts that want to avoid rock chips. Another new product is called Clearplex and that's like a paint protection film for your windshield. Either the day of delivery for my E or the next business day is when I'll be taking mine in to do paint protection and Clearplex. I want to be protected from as close to day one as possible.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:01 AM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Yes we do- it's pretty much the same process for any of us enthusiasts that want to avoid rock chips. Another new product is called Clearplex and that's like a paint protection film for your windshield. Either the day of delivery for my E or the next business day is when I'll be taking mine in to do paint protection and Clearplex. I want to be protected from as close to day one as possible.

I'll research the Clearplex and see if we have that out here in Vegas...that sounds like something I would have done as well. Ok well I'm glad I'm not off base by having the MB done...it would make me sick to my stomach if I got a rock chip up front and had the chance to protect it. Thanks for the info...that's why I come here so I can learn from you guys who already own an MB.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4matic W205
Questions.....How long does the clear bra last? How does it interact with wax and cleaning agents? Does it have the same shine as the rest of the car? I have heard some people complain that they yellow over time and if you want to remove it, it will destroy your paint.....then there is the issue of should you do the full hood or partial hood?

Last edited by jbbeauso; 08-28-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 AM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by jbbeauso
Questions.....How long does the clear bra last? How does it interact with wax and cleaning agents? Does it have the same shine as the rest of the car? I have heard some people complain that they yellow over time and if you want to remove it, it will destroy your paint.....then there is the issue of should you do the full hood or partial hood?
Clear Bra-dsc04475.jpg

Clear Bra-dsc04463.jpg

My clear bra has been on for 8 years...it does have the same shine as the rest of the car...I wash and wax it along with the rest of the car. It's possible that it may yellow if using a cheap material...if I were going to have it removed I would take it back to the installer...partial or full is strictly a matter of personal preference.

You can see the bra is taped off before being detailed...this of course would prevent any wax from getting underneath...but the tape does show you the outline of the bra. To this date unless I point it out most folks don't even realize that there is one on the car...and more importantly the nose of the car is in perfect condition!!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Full vs partial hood is your personal preference and if you think it's worth the extra money to not see the line.

A good shop that uses good materials (like Xpel) which has a 10 year warranty against yellowing will help with the thought of your film turning color. Xpel also shouldn't have any issues with removal.