C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

W205 owners opinions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 AMG Line Premium Plus (W205)
W205 owners opinions.

I got my new w205 last week and have been driving it around a few days. I was going to make a thread all about it but thought maybe it's more useful if all owners chime in in this thread on what they think so far.

I had a new c180 petrol coupe as a loaner for a month.
Got my w205 last week.

Spec:
C220
Amg premium plus
Drivers assistance pack
Full upgraded command with burmeister
Privacy glass
19 inch alloys
Polar white.
Heads up display.

Some random things I noticed:

- the driving position is off centre and feels a bit weird and not quite right.
- the front centre console is so wide that I feel a bit squashed. I typically drive with my left leg bent and leaning to the side. This is a squeeze as it rubs on the steering wheel (I'm 6 foot 1). If i raise the steering wheel it obscures the dash.
- the foot rest (for the left foot) is covered in the same cloth that's on the side walls of the feet area. There's no rubber pad, metal pad etc like most cars have. So now I'm not sure what to do with my left leg!
- the automatic camera detection and gps speed etc goes a bit mad sometimes. It says it's national speed limit in between 30 and 40 zones randomly. It's like the GPS data is fighting with the sign detection.
- yesterday the sign detection detected a 'oncoming traffic has priority' sign and kept it on for 40 minutes even after I was on the motorway!
- agility select only has two options. Engine (Eco, comfort, sport, sport plus) and steering (sport, comfort). This makes it kinda pointless as the normal presets cover (almost) every possibility anyway. There's no suspension control at all (no airmatic).
- the voice recognition has stupid illogical phrases. It's long to enter a postcode to navigate to. You have to say navigation, navigation to destination, road, town, postcode. Why can't it just recognise 'navigate to postcode'!
- if you leave your door open (accidentally not locked properly) and start the car it goes mad saying you're not in park roll hazard. After you start driving and ignore the warning (which is continuous) it tells you the door is not locked properly. It took me a while to figure that was the problem lol.
- no car play in case anyone is wondering.
- sports steering is amazing! At parking speed no difference. At medium to high speed it feels like a real car. In comfort it feels like there's some cushion between you and the wheels, every turn of the wheel is delayed and damped. So much so that I find it annoying to drive and stay in lane on some motorways with lots of lane width changes.
- lane assist is a waste of time. It's never gone off. It doesn't work round bends, and you must have to be half way into the other lane for it to go off.
- brake assists is good, but randomly dings or doesn't ding when it feels like it. It went off alone at first because I've never driven a diesel before and I wasn't used to the slight lag in response. I would constantly speed up too much from a standstill.
- speed with no accelerator is a little bit too fast. In traffic I'm constantly on partial brake .
- hold assist is great!
- the radio is annoying. It switches between dab and fm by itself and sound quality change and slight music delay is annoying. At first I thought there was some loose wire!
- acceleration is great from standstill (after a small delay), upto lower mid, then there's a dead spot, and top end is good again.
- the boot open close mechanism is more annoying than useful. I stand like an idiot waving my foot till it eventually works. Sometimes it works instantly sometimes it doesn't afterward 5 tries. Also on 3 occasions boot close (once foot and twice button) didn't lock the boot. It looked closed but wasn't. It didn't latch.
- wipers don't automatically turn on till there's more rain than I like.
- blind spot assist is great
- the heads up display is great, especially for gps etc. I rarely have to look down. I wish it had radio on it too.
- radio is annoying. It shows the station on centre console. Press down shows preset menu, press down again changes station. So if the menu is not up two downs, if it is, then one down to change station. That means I have to look down and see what it's doing all the time. Also dab delay makes it annoying, I have to figure out how to tune fm only.
- there's a few seconds delay when applying handbrake. Right now it's annoying because I keep forgetting in my mind if push or pull is to set the handbrake ( I know it's my fault!). I find the whole shut off car a real fiddle at the moment. Park, handbrake button, start stop button. In the wrong order and it starts beeping roll hazard etc.
- steering wheels moves up to let you out. Feels like you're in a real sports position or something lol.
- steering wheel is tiny

Just some random things I noticed. The drivers position is the weirdest thing between this and the c180 I had. Of the two although this has amazing toys and interior I think I preferred the c180 interior position. Engine is better with the c220 tho.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:54 AM

Mercedes C250 Bluetec AMG
Nice feedback k187
How about built-in navigation? Is it good, has live traffic informations?
Can you clear signs in traffic sign recognition manually or have to wait till it do by itself?
Did you try Distronic plus in a traffic? Is it helpful?
Collision Prevention Assist Plus - did you have a "chance" to use it
Park Assist did you try it and what are your thoughts?

I've ordered very similar spec so good to know all your positive and negative thoughts

Last edited by pavloPL; 09-19-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:02 AM
4mb

bicycle
How is burmester sound quality?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C200 Sport Premium Plus. October 2018. 1497cc with 48 volt battery eq
Don't think radio switches between DAB & FM, am told it has 2 DAB receivers and switches between the two when low signal.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:03 PM

2015 C400 loaded
see below for highlights

Originally Posted by k187

Some random things I noticed:

- the driving position is off centre and feels a bit weird and not quite right.
I havent noticed this but judging by some of your other comments I dont think you have your position correct, it took me a few days.
- the front centre console is so wide that I feel a bit squashed. I typically drive with my left leg bent and leaning to the side. This is a squeeze as it rubs on the steering wheel (I'm 6 foot 1). If i raise the steering wheel it obscures the dash.
I am 6 foot 4 and noticed the same, but after messing around I am sitting very comfortably. My legs dont come near the steering wheel. Drop your seat, raise the front of the seat a bit with the leg extensions too. It took a bit but it is a better position, however the backseat is screwed behind me
- the foot rest (for the left foot) is covered in the same cloth that's on the side walls of the feet area. There's no rubber pad, metal pad etc like most cars have. So now I'm not sure what to do with my left leg!
Hmm weird, i have the c400 so I have the metal one
- the automatic camera detection and gps speed etc goes a bit mad sometimes. It says it's national speed limit in between 30 and 40 zones randomly. It's like the GPS data is fighting with the sign detection.
I'm still learning my car a bit, can you elaborate I guess I dont knwo about this
- yesterday the sign detection detected a 'oncoming traffic has priority' sign and kept it on for 40 minutes even after I was on the motorway!
again is this in navigation?
- agility select only has two options. Engine (Eco, comfort, sport, sport plus) and steering (sport, comfort). This makes it kinda pointless as the normal presets cover (almost) every possibility anyway. There's no suspension control at all (no airmatic).
I didnt think you could adjust the suspension anyway unless you had airmatic, I thought that was well known
- the voice recognition has stupid illogical phrases. It's long to enter a postcode to navigate to. You have to say navigation, navigation to destination, road, town, postcode. Why can't it just recognise 'navigate to postcode'!I have never navigated to a post code, I can usually just say city myself
- if you leave your door open (accidentally not locked properly) and start the car it goes mad saying you're not in park roll hazard. After you start driving and ignore the warning (which is continuous) it tells you the door is not locked properly. It took me a while to figure that was the problem lol.
yeah i saw that too, very weird
- no car play in case anyone is wondering.
- sports steering is amazing! At parking speed no difference. At medium to high speed it feels like a real car. In comfort it feels like there's some cushion between you and the wheels, every turn of the wheel is delayed and damped. So much so that I find it annoying to drive and stay in lane on some motorways with lots of lane width changes.Yeah more of a personal feel thing, it really does feel like switching from a luxury car to a sports car especially if you have airmatic
- lane assist is a waste of time. It's never gone off. It doesn't work round bends, and you must have to be half way into the other lane for it to go off.
It did for me on the first day, I leaned over and crossed the highway line sure enough pulled me back in. It generally shouldnt work in a bend because if you are turning the wheel it knows you are paying attention
- brake assists is good, but randomly dings or doesn't ding when it feels like it. It went off alone at first because I've never driven a diesel before and I wasn't used to the slight lag in response. I would constantly speed up too much from a standstill.
- speed with no accelerator is a little bit too fast. In traffic I'm constantly on partial brake .Not sure I understand this
- hold assist is great!Agreed!
- the radio is annoying. It switches between dab and fm by itself and sound quality change and slight music delay is annoying. At first I thought there was some loose wire!
- acceleration is great from standstill (after a small delay), upto lower mid, then there's a dead spot, and top end is good again.
- the boot open close mechanism is more annoying than useful. I stand like an idiot waving my foot till it eventually works. Sometimes it works instantly sometimes it doesn't afterward 5 tries. Also on 3 occasions boot close (once foot and twice button) didn't lock the boot. It looked closed but wasn't. It didn't latch.I've had zero problem here, you dont wave your foot you just kick it forward and back. Zero issues like you report
- wipers don't automatically turn on till there's more rain than I like.no issues here, they have two settings
- blind spot assist is great so glad i have this now
- the heads up display is great, especially for gps etc. I rarely have to look down. I wish it had radio on it too.yes it takes getting used to. 25 years of driving i keep looking too far down. Radio would be nice but then it gets cluttered. I use the screen between the wheel alot for that
- radio is annoying. It shows the station on centre console. Press down shows preset menu, press down again changes station. So if the menu is not up two downs, if it is, then one down to change station. That means I have to look down and see what it's doing all the time. Also dab delay makes it annoying, I have to figure out how to tune fm only.pre programmed all my stations, one turn of the wheel or on my steering wheel buttons and it changes stations. I think you are doing it the complicated way
- there's a few seconds delay when applying handbrake. Right now it's annoying because I keep forgetting in my mind if push or pull is to set the handbrake ( I know it's my fault!). I find the whole shut off car a real fiddle at the moment. Park, handbrake button, start stop button. In the wrong order and it starts beeping roll hazard etc.
- steering wheels moves up to let you out. Feels like you're in a real sports position or something lol.yes very cool for us long legged people
- steering wheel is tinyseems pretty standard btu I have the sport wheel
Old 09-19-2014, 12:04 PM

2015 C400 loaded
Originally Posted by 4mb
How is burmester sound quality?
absolutely great, i use to do car stereos for a living. The best stock system I have ever heard and very close to the best system I have ever had in my cars
Old 09-19-2014, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
W205 sight lines

Yesterday I was given a W204-C300 4dr. as a loaner car while my E350BT was being serviced.

Having previously sat in a W205-C300 in the showroom, the first thing I noticed while driving the W204 was the much better outward visibility compared to the new C Class which has very restricted rear vision.

I'm surprised that k187 didn't mention this in his long list of comments.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by abstractls
see below for highlights
I assume it is UK version ( right hand side steering wheel ) and there is a little offset to the left which can't be corrected.
In UK you usually navigate to postcode so that should be a shortcut in voice command.
There is no active version of lane assist and blind assist in UK spec so it does only beep not pulling.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:11 PM

2015 C400 loaded
ah that would make sense
Old 09-19-2014, 05:25 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
We picked up our c300 last week. So far, we absolutely love it. The Burmester sound quality is the best I have ever heard in a vehicle including the Mark Levinson that I have had in two previous Lexus vehicles and the crap Bose system in my Avalanche.
Hold assist IS awesome. Rear camera is nice, bright, and crystal clear even at night. The trajectory lines curving to represent where you are backing is also great. There is a lot to get used to with the Nav, voice command, etc so we are still exploring and trying to get everything figured out. No problem with the seat adjustments for us. Very comfortable. I would prefer to just push the seat preset rather than having to hold it until it re-positions.
Also would prefer that it remembers that I prefer Sport + rather than having to change it each time the car is started. The blind spot assist is also great.
I also have the sports steering wheel and think it is right sized and comfortable with good grip. The panoramic sun roof is very nice as well.

Not sure if the built in wifi hotspot is that great as it seems slower than regular cell service internet... at least it works for my non-cell enabled Ipad... The jury is out on whether we will continue it after the trial period.

One drawback, this is the first MB for my girlfriend so that limits my driving of it and now she is becoming a bit of a Diva!
Old 09-19-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by pavloPL
I assume it is UK version ( right hand side steering wheel ) and there is a little offset to the left which can't be corrected.
In UK you usually navigate to postcode so that should be a shortcut in voice command.
There is no active version of lane assist and blind assist in UK spec so it does only beep not pulling.
Yeah I'm in the uk . Hmm I hadn't realised there was no active versions in the uk. Waste of money getting the drivers assistance pack then :/

Any idea why that is?

With regards to other comments... Visibility... I had the old model c class coupe and the visibility on that was insane! You can't see a thing out of the back window. I thought the w205 was a lot better.

Steering wheel size. Again comparing to the coupe and previous cars, as soon as I drove the w205 it felt tiny right away. There's nothing wrong with it and I'm use to it now, but I really got the impression they made compromises to fit that huge centre console in.

Boot opening... I'm going to kick from now on, that may explain why it wasn't working too well! I had the other issue again today, where it closed but didn't latch shut :/

Traffic signs detection can't be cleared, it stays there till either the GPS tells it something changed or it detects a conflicting sign.

I haven't tried the collision prevention assist yet thankfully

I haven't tried the auto parking yet either.

I tried to use distronic quickly. The speed limit is quite useful, as I tend to have a heavy foot and slowly increase speed and find I'm doing 90 when not paying too much attention (on a routine journey). Somehow I set it to 68mph and don't know how to change it though. I tried full distronic in slow traffic but it didn't do anything. I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong as I just guessed at what to press and when

It's almost a week old and it's looking crazy dirty already. Lots of brake dust and water marks all over it from motorway driving and rain. From a distance it looks nice though

Sorry for the fragmented replies, I'm on my iPad, low battery, and in a rush.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Yeah I'm in the uk .
With regards to other comments... Visibility... I had the old model c class coupe and the visibility on that was insane! You can't see a thing out of the back window. I thought the w205 was a lot better.
My comment on visibility was in reference to the W204 sedan v's the W205 sedan; the former has much better sight lines than its replacement. I agree that the previous C coupe had restricted visibility.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Yeah I'm in the uk . Hmm I hadn't realised there was no active versions in the uk. Waste of money getting the drivers assistance pack then :/

Any idea why that is?

Steering wheel size. Again comparing to the coupe and previous cars, as soon as I drove the w205 it felt tiny right away. There's nothing wrong with it and I'm use to it now, but I really got the impression they made compromises to fit that huge centre console in.

Boot opening... I'm going to kick from now on, that may explain why it wasn't working too well! I had the other issue again today, where it closed but didn't latch shut :/

Traffic signs detection can't be cleared, it stays there till either the GPS tells it something changed or it detects a conflicting sign.

I haven't tried the collision prevention assist yet thankfully

I haven't tried the auto parking yet either.

I tried to use distronic quickly. The speed limit is quite useful, as I tend to have a heavy foot and slowly increase speed and find I'm doing 90 when not paying too much attention (on a routine journey). Somehow I set it to 68mph and don't know how to change it though. I tried full distronic in slow traffic but it didn't do anything. I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong as I just guessed at what to press and when

It's almost a week old and it's looking crazy dirty already. Lots of brake dust and water marks all over it from motorway driving and rain. From a distance it looks nice though

Sorry for the fragmented replies, I'm on my iPad, low battery, and in a rush.
For me it looks like a marketing decision of Mercedes UK. There are some options not available in UK which are in other territories. Driving Assistance Package is a biggest disappointment to what what Australians/Europeans/North Americans gets. They get a active versions of spot assistance, lane assist and as well steering assist and stop and go pilot ideal in traffic situations when car drives fully by itself. I may only assume that they are "scare" or not so sure to introduce in UK territory at the moment. Other equipment list that is missing is: ventilated seat, 3 zone climate control but that actually not big deal in cold and wet UK
Old 09-20-2014, 01:01 PM

Boot opening with keyless go - I accedently left keys in boot then closed, it shut then opened a few inches a few seconds of panic then relief.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by pavloPL
For me it looks like a marketing decision of Mercedes UK. There are some options not available in UK which are in other territories. Driving Assistance Package is a biggest disappointment to what what Australians/Europeans/North Americans gets. They get a active versions of spot assistance, lane assist and as well steering assist and stop and go pilot ideal in traffic situations when car drives fully by itself. I may only assume that they are "scare" or not so sure to introduce in UK territory at the moment. Other equipment list that is missing is: ventilated seat, 3 zone climate control but that actually not big deal in cold and wet UK
I think I'll be making a big complaint to mercedes. I had no idea the uk versions were so limited or I never would have bothered with the package.

I tried lane keeping assist again and it never triggers. I was driving on the motorway and let go of the wheel on purpose for a while, I drifted across half the lane and nothing.

On a side note, did anyone notice how hypnotic the centre circles of the speedometer and rev counter are, especially when tired lol. Who thought of that design, it's like some 70's hypnotic wheel...
Old 09-21-2014, 05:08 AM

I think I'll be making a big complaint to mercedes. I had no idea the uk versions were so limited or I never would have bothered with the package.

I tried lane keeping assist again and it never triggers. I was driving on the motorway and let go of the wheel on purpose for a while, I drifted across half the lane and nothing.

On a side note, did anyone notice how hypnotic the centre circles of the speedometer and rev counter are, especially when tired lol. Who thought of that design, it's like some 70's hypnotic wheel...
What wheater/visibility conditions are you driving with? As I know for lane assits it uses camera behind rear mirror and basically camera needs to see lanes, if there are bad visibility well it probably does not work.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)

Regarding Lane keeping assist 2 comments/suggestions:
-is it on? The setting is controlled by the on board computer and you can check with the buttons on the steering wheel (I believe they are on the left side 4 arrows and an ok button)
-In my e350 it sends vibrations to the steering wheel when I drift out of a marked lane without the blinker on, no audible notifications. If you let go of the steering wheel you wouldn't feel them.

Again, this is based on my experience with my E class, they may have changed things some. My guess is it got shut off somehow and you just need to turn it back on.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ddeliber
Regarding Lane keeping assist 2 comments/suggestions:
-is it on? The setting is controlled by the on board computer and you can check with the buttons on the steering wheel (I believe they are on the left side 4 arrows and an ok button)
-In my e350 it sends vibrations to the steering wheel when I drift out of a marked lane without the blinker on, no audible notifications. If you let go of the steering wheel you wouldn't feel them.

Again, this is based on my experience with my E class, they may have changed things some. My guess is it got shut off somehow and you just need to turn it back on.
UK version only has vibrating steering wheel lane assist as part of Distronic Plus package. From brochure.. Lane-Keeping Assist detects when the driver leaves the lane unintentionally, warns with pulsating steering wheel vibrations.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin1
UK version only has vibrating steering wheel lane assist as part of Distronic Plus package. From brochure.. Lane-Keeping Assist detects when the driver leaves the lane unintentionally, warns with pulsating steering wheel vibrations.
Oh that might explain it. Wow they dumbed down everything in the uk version, how depressing.

I had something really weird happen today, I walked to the passenger door and tried to open it (keyless) by touching the door open sensor, nothing. Went over to drivers side, nothing. Tried the boot, nothing. Pulled out my key, nothing. No life from the car at all.

I walked away to get my phone from the house to call up the service line, and when I came back I tried the unlock button on the key again and it suddenly opened. Weird, I hope it was a one off glitch.

On a side note, p I'm now driving my car in individual setting with sport+ and sport steering - basically sport+ mode but with stop start on. The anoyying lag from standstill isn't there in this mode, but I'm using alotttt more fuel :/
Old 09-22-2014, 02:00 PM

2015 C400 loaded
I programmed my individual to be sport+ but with manual paddle shifting. In sport+ mode it will still autoshift if you hit a certain RPM.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:25 AM

2014 C Class Saloon C250 Diesel AMG Line RWD, Nissan GTR
Hi folks,

Picked up my C250 Premium Plus yesterday (UK) and so far so good.

However, a couple of things I have noticed: -

1, The additional speedometer in the driving display is always showing as km per hour. I cannot find a way of changing it, which pretty useless for the UK. I have a feeling it cannot be changed, but wanted to check. Anyone managed it?

2. FM/DAB, definitely switches back and forward between them depending upon the DAB reception. I too thought there was something wrong, until I spotted what it was doing. Not a disaster, but a bit annoying.

Thanks for all the information posted here, it has been very helpful to a Mercedes noob
Old 09-24-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by davidmcr
Hi folks,

Picked up my C250 Premium Plus yesterday (UK) and so far so good.

However, a couple of things I have noticed: -

1, The additional speedometer in the driving display is always showing as km per hour. I cannot find a way of changing it, which pretty useless for the UK. I have a feeling it cannot be changed, but wanted to check. Anyone managed it?

2. FM/DAB, definitely switches back and forward between them depending upon the DAB reception. I too thought there was something wrong, until I spotted what it was doing. Not a disaster, but a bit annoying.

Thanks for all the information posted here, it has been very helpful to a Mercedes noob
Home button on steering wheel, settings, instrument cluster, display unit speed, set km or mph.

Thought radio had two dab recivers and switched to strongest signal. Didn't notice any dropping of quality which I find is noticeable between Dab and fm.

If you have ipad then suggest the MB Guides app.

Last edited by Merlin1; 09-24-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:39 AM

2014 C Class Saloon C250 Diesel AMG Line RWD, Nissan GTR
Hi Merlin,

Thanks for the reply.

Tried that and all it does is change the the digital speedometer on the screen (and the navi) not the the additional speedometer in the top left corner - if that makes sense. It always shows as km per hour.

I have been through the guide and is unclear on how that can be changed. Seems to contradict itself.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2014, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by davidmcr
Hi Merlin,

Thanks for the reply.

Tried that and all it does is change the the digital speedometer on the screen (and the navi) not the the additional speedometer in the top left corner - if that makes sense. It always shows as km per hour.

I have been through the guide and is unclear on how that can be changed. Seems to contradict itself.

Thanks
No you cannot change that, something to do with UK motoring law I believe.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I'm surprised the display doesn't show the odometer on it when the speed is displayed. You have to scroll the display with the arrow keys to see the odometer ... and then the speed doesn't show.

My normal default is the speedometer, but it is annoying not having the odometer right there ... where it's been on every other car I've owned.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W205 owners opinions.