C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Consumer Reports Review Finally Published

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Consumer Reports Review Finally Published

Well, I've been waiting weeks for the CR review to be published. Pretty sure you need a subscription to view...http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m.../road-test.htm

One of the few negatives: "Ride comfort: Almost like Mercedes' larger E- and S-Class models, the C300's ride is steady yet with a layer of cushiness that masks bumps very effectively. Impacts are muted except for the odd whack on a really bad pothole due to the run-flat tires. Body motions are very well controlled, limiting motions and keeping a composed demeanor. Overall, the C-Class has the most comfortable ride in the sports sedan segment."

Talked to my salesman today and I have a build date of 1/2/15 (worst day on the calendar for having a vehicle built). I'm trying to add Parktronic and that may delay it a few weeks, but I'm probably too late.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
How is best in class ride comfort a negative?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH
How is best in class ride comfort a negative?
The part about the pot holes and run flat tires was negative. Like I said there are very few negatives. Another one is the C300 sounds like a diesel at idle.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 702 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
The part about the pot holes and run flat tires was negative. Like I said there are very few negatives. Another one is the C300 sounds like a diesel at idle.
The diesel sound it the direct injection. You don't hear it inside the car due to a lot of sound deadening material everywhere.

Basically they loved the car to death. A very thorough review. As Ive harped upon repeatedly, nothing given up to the 3 series dynamically-wise.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Thanks Pete. The MBUSI site shows the plant still closed Jan 2, their stut down starts December 24th. Either way, it's the components in the car which are probably being built about now that will matter.

Well, I've been waiting weeks for the CR review to be published. Pretty sure you need a subscription to view...http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m.../road-test.htm

One of the few negatives: "Ride comfort: Almost like Mercedes' larger E- and S-Class models, the C300's ride is steady yet with a layer of cushiness that masks bumps very effectively. Impacts are muted except for the odd whack on a really bad pothole due to the run-flat tires. Body motions are very well controlled, limiting motions and keeping a composed demeanor. Overall, the C-Class has the most comfortable ride in the sports sedan segment."

Talked to my salesman today and I have a build date of 1/2/15 (worst day on the calendar for having a vehicle built). I'm trying to add Parktronic and that may delay it a few weeks, but I'm probably too late.

Last edited by floridadriver; 11-21-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
so no one gets confused with the tone of the review

Road Test
sedan C300 4-cyl
Redesigned for 2015, the Mercedes-Benz C300 is so impressive that it scores near the top of the sports sedan segment. The new C-Class has a beautiful interior and delivers a driving experience that is close to ideal when it comes to balancing performance and comfort. Simply put: The C300 delivers the driving pleasure people expect from the brand. For those new to the brand, we think you'll find the C300 comfortable, quiet, agile, and altogether well done.

The opening bid for a base, rear-wheel drive C300 starts around $40,000. However, our test car, which represents what most people buy, rang in at $47,560. It included 4Matic all-wheel drive, a rear camera, blind-spot assist, sunroof, heated seats, and Premium package (Burmester stereo, LED headlights). This is the higher end of the sports sedan spectrum, where it competes directly against the BMW 328i.

Buyers signing for the base C300 get a 241-hp, 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder engine. The up-level C400 bumps up to a 329-hp, 3.0-liter turbo V6. The C-Class is now built in Alabama, alongside Mercedes' SUVs.

It may be surprising at first to hear and feel a four-cylinder humming in such a plush and expensive car, but as you begin to cover some ground, it becomes clear that the power is ample and that turbo lag is near imperceptible. We measured a respectable 26 mpg overall -- no small feat for an AWD car that catapults from rest to 60 mph in 6.8 seconds.

The car has quick reflexes with very prompt steering response, making the C300 corner with enthusiasm that's usually associated with BMW. The C feels sporty to drive and yet the pliant suspension delivers a comfortable ride, with Mercedes' typical bump-absorbing cushiness and settled body motions.

Inside, you'll find an upscale and snazzy execution, with a high-quality feel to every surface, switch, and button.

The center screen looks like it floats in the middle of the dash, or rather, someone left their tablet computer perched atop the circular vents. The menu structure for selecting, say, audio or phone functions, can be baffling at first and unfortunately, some hard buttons -- as found in other Mercedes models -- have disappeared in favor of that avant-garde appearance. Some of us found the newfangled, sleek piano black touchpad got in the way of the more predictable-behaving center knob.

The rear seat allows decent space for an adult but don't expect the amount of room found in a typical midsized sedan. In luxury fashion, the cabin stays commendably quiet.

Overall, the new C-Class is a very satisfying car with sophisticated ride and handling, top-drawer interior fit and finish, and many advanced safety features. While neither inexpensive nor particularly user-friendly, it certainly has panache.

Last edited by c4004matic; 11-21-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:20 PM

I guess in my haste to post the link to CR, I failed to mentioned I am more in love with the vehicle now than I ever was. My priority for my new, next car was comfort and I think I will be perfectly content.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C300, Audi A4
I've read more reviews on this car than I can count, but this is the one I was waiting for. I've been checking the site every day (even this morning) and its finally here...interesting timing since I'm picking up my new C300 tomorrow morning. I'm relieved the review was as good as it was.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess in my haste to post the link to CR, I failed to mentioned I am more in love with the vehicle now than I ever was. My priority for my new, next car was comfort and I think I will be perfectly content.
For those of us who already have the car, we know how spot on the CR review is. It does everything well, and provides an almost perfect mix of sporty feel and comfort. It really is that good.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleBull
I've read more reviews on this car than I can count, but this is the one I was waiting for. I've been checking the site every day (even this morning) and its finally here...interesting timing since I'm picking up my new C300 tomorrow morning. I'm relieved the review was as good as it was.

I've actually been checking the site several times a day...just wanted confirmation I made the right choice and now I know I don't need to cancel my order. I just wish I placed my order earlier so I could be picking mine up tomorrow...you lucky dog!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C300, Audi A4
I've actually been checking the site several times a day...just wanted confirmation I made the right choice and now I know I don't need to cancel my order. I just wish I placed my order earlier so I could be picking mine up tomorrow...you lucky dog!

I know! I can't wait...
Old 11-21-2014, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by DoubleBull
I know! I can't wait...
Me neither!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
For those of us who already have the car, we know how spot on the CR review is. It does everything well, and provides an almost perfect mix of sporty feel and comfort. It really is that good.
I agree the review is spot on with my impressions too. It points out the few small warts, but reaches the inevitable conclusion, the car rocks.
Suck it BMW. Sorry couldn't help myselfI'll do penance later.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c4004matic
I agree the review is spot on with my impressions too. It points out the few small warts, but reaches the inevitable conclusion, the car rocks.
Suck it BMW. Sorry couldn't help myselfI'll do penance later.
I like BMW, and Audi too. I've owned a few of both brands, and have nothing but respect for their quality and engineering.

This time around though, I wanted something a little more luxurious ... and something that was more forgiving over rough pavement and frost heaves while still offering a high level of handling prowess. This new W205 seems to offer the perfect blend of what I was looking for; hence the purchase.

MB is back in the compact sport/luxury segment big time with this car, and I'm happy to see that CR recognizes just how good it is. Its long term success will be based on its reliability numbers, and it's much too early to know how that will turn out.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
I like BMW, and Audi too. I've owned a few of both brands, and have nothing but respect for their quality and engineering.

This time around though, I wanted something a little more luxurious ... and something that was more forgiving over rough pavement and frost heaves while still offering a high level of handling prowess. This new W205 seems to offer the perfect blend of what I was looking for; hence the purchase.

MB is back in the compact sport/luxury segment big time with this car, and I'm happy to see that CR recognizes just how good it is. Its long term success will be based on its reliability numbers, and it's much too early to know how that will turn out.
Reliability...... The BIG IF!!!....
Old 11-22-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Link to Consumer Reports Preview of C300

Corrected see post below

In this link they had only now purchased the C300 so its their preview. You get the final review on the opening link CR testing on it.
Mostly for those without CR Subscription

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...aser/index.htm

Last edited by Leslielp; 11-22-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Leslielp
They have only now purchased the C300 so it won't get its final numbers until they do their usual CR testing on it.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...aser/index.htm
That was the preview. The full review is above. An unusually long one. What I copied was only the introduction. They went through the car with a very fine tooth comb.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Thanks , I modified my post.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 939 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
"The cabin stays quiet, but you do hear an unmistakable four-cylinder thrum, which may seem a little out of place in a $47,000 sedan. "

This precisely sums up my number one disappointment with the car. On the plus side of the ledger the fuel mileage seems to be really good at a an 27 EPAavg. For the right price I could be persuaded to learn to live with it, as the ride quality and quietness are huge improvement over the W204 and the chassis is a perfect size.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 11-22-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
"The cabin stays quiet, but you do hear an unmistakable four-cylinder thrum, which may seem a little out of place in a $47,000 sedan. "

This precisely sums up my number one disappointment with the car. On the plus side of the ledger the fuel mileage seems to be really good at a an 27 EPAavg. For the right price I could be persuaded to learn to live with it, as the ride quality and quietness are huge improvement over the W204 and the chassis is a perfect size.
Personally I found the four excellent and superbly refined, of course, the v6 has more refinement. People seem to forget the 300 has only 241 HP, in the big scheme of things that is not a hell of a lot. To make it go fast it takes a lot of spinning. Its only a 2.0, the same displacement as civic! Furthermore, it sounds excellent when driven at the limit.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Ill just make it wasy, heres the whole thing (long)

Road Test
sedan C300 4-cyl

Redesigned for 2015, the Mercedes-Benz C300 is so impressive that it scores near the top of the sports sedan segment. The new C-Class has a beautiful interior and delivers a driving experience that is close to ideal when it comes to balancing performance and comfort. Simply put: The C300 delivers the driving pleasure people expect from the brand. For those new to the brand, we think you'll find the C300 comfortable, quiet, agile, and altogether well done.

The opening bid for a base, rear-wheel drive C300 starts around $40,000. However, our test car, which represents what most people buy, rang in at $47,560. It included 4Matic all-wheel drive, a rear camera, blind-spot assist, sunroof, heated seats, and Premium package (Burmester stereo, LED headlights). This is the higher end of the sports sedan spectrum, where it competes directly against the BMW 328i.

Buyers signing for the base C300 get a 241-hp, 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder engine. The up-level C400 bumps up to a 329-hp, 3.0-liter turbo V6. The C-Class is now built in Alabama, alongside Mercedes' SUVs.

It may be surprising at first to hear and feel a four-cylinder humming in such a plush and expensive car, but as you begin to cover some ground, it becomes clear that the power is ample and that turbo lag is near imperceptible. We measured a respectable 26 mpg overall -- no small feat for an AWD car that catapults from rest to 60 mph in 6.8 seconds.

The car has quick reflexes with very prompt steering response, making the C300 corner with enthusiasm that's usually associated with BMW. The C feels sporty to drive and yet the pliant suspension delivers a comfortable ride, with Mercedes' typical bump-absorbing cushiness and settled body motions.

Inside, you'll find an upscale and snazzy execution, with a high-quality feel to every surface, switch, and button.

The center screen looks like it floats in the middle of the dash, or rather, someone left their tablet computer perched atop the circular vents. The menu structure for selecting, say, audio or phone functions, can be baffling at first and unfortunately, some hard buttons -- as found in other Mercedes models -- have disappeared in favor of that avant-garde appearance. Some of us found the newfangled, sleek piano black touchpad got in the way of the more predictable-behaving center knob.

The rear seat allows decent space for an adult but don't expect the amount of room found in a typical midsized sedan. In luxury fashion, the cabin stays commendably quiet.

Overall, the new C-Class is a very satisfying car with sophisticated ride and handling, top-drawer interior fit and finish, and many advanced safety features. While neither inexpensive nor particularly user-friendly, it certainly has panache.

Why buy one:
  • Stunning interior styling and finish
  • Different, more luxurious feel than the top-selling BMW 3 Series -- yet just as engaging to drive
  • Gratifying balance of cushy ride and handling agility
  • Fuel economy is very decent for an AWD vehicle
Why not buy one:
  • Gets rather expensive
  • Some commonly expected features, like phone voice commands or a backup camera, are not standard
  • Complex controls, including audio system and shifter
  • Four-cylinder sounds like a diesel at idle
Viable alternatives:
  • BMW 3 Series
  • Audi A4
  • Lexus IS
  • Infiniti Q50
  • Cadillac ATS
  • Volvo S60
Navigating the trim lines: The C-Class sedan structure is pretty simple. The C300 has a 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder, while the C400 has a 3.0-liter, twin-turbo V6. At introduction, all C-Class sedans have the 4Matic all-wheel-drive system; rear-wheel-drive and higher-performance models will follow.

Best version/options to get: Despite only having four cylinders, the C300 provides relatively swift acceleration and likeable levels of refinement. Sure, the C400's V6 engine packs an even more powerful punch and is smoother than the four-cylinder, but we'd stick to the lower-numbered model. Most C-Class sedans sold in wintry regions will be equipped with 4Matic all-wheel drive for added snow capability; warmer parts of the country will more commonly see rear-wheel-drive versions, which lower the purchase price, while slightly improving fuel economy and acceleration.

Like many German luxury cars, you pay a lot for the prestige brand and even more dearly when it comes to options. Features like a rear camera or voice commands for your phone aren't included. And, yes, they're standard on most Hondas for a third of the price.

We'd get the $460 rear camera, $550 blind-spot assist, and $580 heated seats. Most will come with the $1,480 panorama (aka roof-sized) sunroof. While the $2,690 Multimedia package includes a bigger and fancier center screen with a navigation system, opting for the $600 Garmin accessory navigation upgrade with the smaller standard screen gives you an easier-to-use interface. It also allows you to skip the bundled $2,700 Premium package, which is a lot of money for LED headlights and the fancy stereo.

Changes from the previous version: Redesigned for 2015, the C-Class moved away from the staid, Euro-taxi-cab design of its predecessor. Inside and out, the car is far more stylish. The biggest functional improvement is increased rear-seat leg room, but space is still not generous. Too bad the controls lost some of their user-friendliness and visibility took a step back for style. At least the new 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine is a step up in fuel economy and overall performance.

Note that the C-Class coupe doesn't follow the same redesign schedule as the sedan. The coupe's 2015 models remain on the last-generation's design.

The Driving Experience

Handling: The C-Class possesses remarkable agility. Setting brand reputations aside, when it comes to driving enjoyment, this Mercedes gives up little to its arch rival, the BMW 3 Series. The immediacy of the car's response when the driver pilots the car into a turn makes the C fun to drive. It remains stable and composed in corners with limited body lean. The quick steering is appropriately weighted for easy parking and high-speed confidence. At 38 feet, the turning circle is impressively tight.

Pushed to its limits at our track, the C300 proved predictable, secure, and enjoyable. Its balanced chassis lets the driver use all the car's and tire's cornering grip. During a high-speed, track-type performance blitzkrieg, the car responds with mild oversteer, allowing predictable adjustment of the cornering line; the rear end steps out on demand in a well-choreographed, inch-perfect manner. As a result, it's fair to describe the C300 as having "neutral" handling and being more fun than an Oktoberfest celebration.

The car acquitted itself very well in our avoidance maneuver, posting a speed of 55.5 mph. But that speed came with some initial oversteer, with the tail sliding out and thereby chipping away at driver confidence.

A thumbwheel on the center console called "Agility" lets you choose between Eco, Comfort, Sport, and Sport Plus settings. Each alters throttle response, shift schedule, and steering heft accordingly. On versions with the optional Airmatic suspension, this personality dial also changes the firmness of the suspension. We found that Eco dulls responses. Sport Plus pumps the adrenalin with late upshifts accompanied by a brief exhaust bark, early downshifts, and firmer steering. Comfort is the default mode and a happy medium.

Powertrain: It may seem a bit odd at first to hear and feel the thrum and tingle of a four-cylinder engine in a Mercedes. But once under way, the 2.0-liter turbo's 241 horses provide ample punch, as evidenced by a commendable 6.8 seconds dash to 60 mph. The C400 version's 329-hp 3.0-liter V6 turbo brings smooth, effortless acceleration and a more full-bodied sound.

The seven-speed automatic works well but we rank it half a notch lower than the eight-speed units serving in most Audi and BMW models. Shifts are smooth and timely but not imperceptible and some part throttle downshifts may not be swift enough in Comfort mode.

We measured 26 mpg overall on premium fuel -- commendable for a quick 3,670-pound AWD sedan.

Ride comfort: Almost like Mercedes' larger E- and S-Class models, the C300's ride is steady yet with a layer of cushiness that masks bumps very effectively. Impacts are muted except for the odd whack on a really bad pothole due to the run-flat tires. Body motions are very well controlled, limiting motions and keeping a composed demeanor. Overall, the C-Class has the most comfortable ride in the sports sedan segment.

Noise: The C300's cabin feels solid and buttoned-up, with just whispers of road and wind noise intruding. The engine stays fairly quiet, producing just a calm hum when cruising, although the four-cylinder sounds a bit out of character in a luxury sedan, especially at idle. The C's ambiance is competitively spot-on, with only the base and hybrid versions of the Lincoln MKZ and the sedate Lexus ES 350 being quieter.

Braking: Overall stopping performance is competitive, but not the best when put beside some of the other cars in its segment. Brake pedal modulation is very good.

Inside The Cabin

Interior fit and finish: Sitting behind the wheel of the C300, you immediately feel and see just how plush the cabin is. The interior is dominated by swaths of wood, rows of meticulously crafted metallic switches, big silver speaker grilles for the fancy Burmester audio system, and big round vent registers that look like they were swiped from a steam ship. By comparison, the rival BMW 3 Series cabin is much more business-like -- precise, clinical, and cold.

Everything in the Benz is either padded or has a metallic or wood finish, including the bottom of the dashboard and doors. A $650 Luxury package makes it even fancier, with stitched leatherette on the dashboard and fancier wood. There's also an optional $350 "air balance" package that includes a fragrance dispenser that pumps scent through the vents. You can also get rear and side glass sunshades; the one for the rear is powered ($440), and the rear side window shade is manually operated ($380).

Mercedes' MB-Tex leatherette does a good job at imitating leather, but we wonder if a nearly $50,000 car should come with the real thing. (Proper cowhide is a $2,300 option, which also gets you ventilated seats.) We have a few minor quibbles with headliner trim fit, but few will notice and fewer still will care.

Driving position: Getting settled behind the wheel, you'll find plenty of leg room, but just adequate head room. Skipping the optional sunroof frees up more space up top. Everything lines up just right behind the tilt-and-telescope steering wheel, which has a good range of adjustment. The footwell provides generous space for your left foot atop a dead pedal. Like other German compact luxury sedans, a wide center console pushes into room for your right knee; tall drivers might feel cramped.

Visibility: Driver vision is hampered by fairly small windows, but the roof pillars are generally modest in width, reducing the blind zones at the corners. The center side pillar tends to fall into your line of vision when turning your head to merge to the left. Rear vision is blocked some by the high back package shelf.

You'll want to get a backup camera, either as a stand-alone option or included in some option packages. The camera image doesn't display when the center screen is shut off; we think it should always automatically appear when Reverse is engaged.

Blind-spot monitoring is a relatively inexpensive stand-alone option, which we like because it doesn't force you to get a bunch of other electronic gear you might not want.

Seat comfort: The C-Class' seats are a great place to rack up the miles. They're well-contoured, holding you in place in the corners while not squeezing your torso. Cushioning has a nice initial give, but it is firm and supportive beneath. The standard 14-way power driver's seat has plenty of adjustments, including lumbar and seat memory. A power passenger seat is standard; 14-way adjustments, including memory, are optional on that side.

Adjustable thigh support wasn't universally loved by our testers. Taller drivers will appreciate the added support, but you might not like the odd cavity -- formerly occupied by the now-extended cushion -- left under your legs.

MB-Tex leatherette is standard. Perforations in the upholstery help reduce stickiness in hot weather, but the optional leather will breathe better.

As is typical Mercedes practice, the seat adjustment controls are split; the door panel has switches that resemble a seat, while lumbar controls are on the bottom of the cushion. For drivers used to reaching down to the seat cushion to make adjustments, this takes some readjustment. Loyal Mercedes drivers will feel right at home.

Compact luxury sedans like the C-Class don't have a lot of rear-seat room. Two adults can fit, but the knee- and foot-room under the front seats is tight. Tall adults will have adequate head room, but again, it's not generous. The seat is too narrow for three adults to fit across comfortably. Seat cushions are supportive and well-shaped, so despite the modest space, it's reasonably accommodating.

Access: Getting in and out is easy enough. Front doors swing wide but the door openings are fairly small, especially into the backseat. The door sills are also on the tall side.

Gauges: Analog gauges display the basics, but the speedometer markings are a bit small. Between the speedometer and tachometer is a small, full-color screen for trip and fuel economy information. The steering wheel controls let you scroll through audio presets or phone contacts. Its menu system is mostly intuitive and grows more familiar with practice.

A 7-inch color display is standard, perched atop the center dashboard, controlling audio functions as well as the optional Garmin navigation system. This works fine but it looks a bit small, especially for a luxury brand. The Multimedia package includes a larger 8-inch screen along with built-in navigation.

Also optional is a head-up display that digitally projects speed and navigation directions, looking like they hover over the road ahead. This keeps your eyes on the road, but it's an expensive option that also requires the Premium package.

Controls: The controls are complicated. A controller knob and touchpad on the console interact with a center dashboard screen. Other German luxury cars have similar setups, but Mercedes made some decisions that hurt usability. For instance, scrolling through all terrestrial radio stations in the area is more tedious than it is with similar set-ups in Audis, BMWs, and some other Mercedes models.

On the plus side, it's easy enough to figure out how to move through most of the system's major functions (nav, radio, phone, etc.) by pushing and turning the knob to select from rows on the screen. On-screen fonts are clear and easy to read. You'll probably find some of the lower-level features, like the radio station list, more by accident rather than by elegant design.

Even simple selections, like changing an audio source, are accompanied by spinning graphics on the screen, causing quite a distraction. The screen can be slow to update or change after moving a control, as well.

We have some gripes about the physical control layout, too. Unless you use the steering wheel control, the volume is adjusted by a roller knob on the console; the button to turn off the system is oddly hidden from view. And while there are no preset buttons on the dashboard, you can access your favorite stations through the controller or steering wheel buttons. Too bad there's no track forward/back buttons on the wheel or console, forcing you to use the knob or touchpad instead.

That touchpad perches atop the console-mounted wrist rest for the controller knob. Swiping its screen moves through selections, and you can draw out letters for navigation destinations if you have the Multimedia package. (It doesn't work with the Garmin accessory navigation.) That's faster than dialing up letters with the knob, but you'll still probably look at the screen to confirm that it got it right. So much for eliminating eyes-off-road-time.

We think the touchpad's downsides outweigh its positives. For example, it's easy to accidentally change radio stations by inadvertently swiping the touchpad. Since the touchpad sits right on the controller knob, it seems like a really redundant gimmick. Finally, the knob is simply more precise and reliable.

Another typical Mercedes quirk that may require some getting used to is the shifter design. It's a low-effort wand on the right side of the steering column that looks a lot like a wiper stalk. If you're new to Mercedes, you'll hit it the first few times it starts raining.

Park is engaged by pushing a button on the end of the shifter in toward the steering wheel. Again, new Mercedes drivers might miss this step. Despite being fully electronic, the transmission doesn't automatically go into Park once the engine is shut off (which it should). Instead, the car can roll away if this step is overlooked. However, opening the door puts the car in Park.

Climate controls use a row of similar looking, but well-labeled buttons. But the on-screen page for adjusting climate control is essentially redundant.

Electronic connectivity:

Phone: Some testers complained that pairing a phone required a few too many steps. But once it's done, it's done; the system reliably remembers to reconnect your phone every time.

Music: Standard Bluetooth audio streaming allows you to play music from your Bluetooth devices. The Premium package includes a top-shelf Burmester sound system, which brings 13 speakers and a 590-watt, 9-channel digital amplifier.

Voice command: To get voice commands for phone use, you have to buy the $2,690 Multimedia package. This might be a surprising realization for first-time German car buyers; many lower-priced cars have this as standard equipment.

Using voice commands with the navigation system (part of the Multimedia package) is hit or miss. You can't speak naturally like you would with a smart phone. Instead, you're forced to use the system's protocols when, say, you want to find a coffee shop. You must choose among the system's menu items that pop up on the center screen, such as "find a place" or "find category." Simply saying, "Find me a Starbucks" doesn't work.

Navigation: Cars without the Multimedia package don't have a navigation system. However, unlike other competitors, the C300's standard seven-inch screen still gives you a "navi" option, just to taunt you. Press "navi" and the system tells you that "no map card [is] inserted." You can buy an SD card that contains the map and authentication of map use through the dealer for around $600. This system runs familiar Garmin navigation on the standard 7-inch screen and comes with voice as well as dashboard integration.

Getting the nav system via the Multimedia package also brings a rearview camera, 8.4-inch screen, three years of map updates voice control, three years of Sirius XM traffic, and 10GB of storage space for your own music.

In one way, the cheaper $600 option is a lot less than paying for the Multimedia package -- but it's a lot more than a portable Garmin or using your smart phone since instrument cluster integration and other features are available.

Electronic amenities: The C-Class comes with an SD card slot and two USB ports inside the center console.

Power sources: You get one 12-volt outlet in front of the cup holders and one behind the center console for rear-seat passengers.

Climate features: The dual-zone climate system drew no complaints. However, some thought that $47,000 should get you a heated steering wheel. And we still had to pay an extra $580 to get heated seats -- they're not standard, either. Vented seats are available.

Cabin storage: The center console houses a small, lidded bin (complete with a removable ash tray). Front passengers also get a nicely sized armrest bin between the seats. The map pockets in the doors are very generous. Rear-seat passengers have a small fold-out bin behind the center console and a lidded bin inside the center armrest.

Cup holders: Front passengers are treated to two cup holders in the center console. Those in back get two flimsy holders that pop out of the fold-down center armrest. All four doors have bottle holders.

Lights and visors: The visors do not slide on their mounting rods for side coverage.

Other nice touches: We all loved the dual-pane sunroof.

Cargo area: The trunk can hold two large upright suitcases and one duffel bag. You can expand the trunk by folding the standard 60/40-split seatbacks. Payload capacity is 795 pounds.

Options for opening the trunk include a switch on the driver's door or the button on the key fob. However, the fob's black-on-black labeling makes remote access a challenge at night. A squeeze handle above the license plate will also open the trunk lid as long as the car is unlocked, but be aware that the lid swings open quickly. Thankfully, gooseneck hinges descend into their own storage grooves, so no items can get crushed. The trunk comes with a first-aid kit, small netted bins, a bag hook on each sidewall, and a foldable plastic crate. The crate easily unfolds and handily corrals grocery bags. A finger grab on the underside of trunk's lid helps you close it. You can secure valuables inside the cargo area when you're out on the town by giving the parking lot attendant the included valet key, which won't open the trunk.

Spare tire: Run-flat tires are standard, which leaves you without a spare tire or sealant kit.

Safety Notes

Safety belts: All outboard seatbelts are equipped with pretensioners and load limiters to reduce belt slack and forces in the event of a crash. Front belts have adjustable upper anchors to help provide a more comfortable and safe fit to the shoulder belts.

Air bags: The C-Class offers more additional air bag protection than most vehicles. In addition to the required front air bags, you also get standard air bags for front side-impact, pelvic protection, driver's side knee, and curtain head protection (which extend to protect the heads of outboard passengers in both rows). An occupant classification system for the front passenger seat is designed to disable the front air bags if it detects that a small child is occupying that seat or if it's empty.

Head restraints: There are adjustable and locking head restraints in all seats. Rear outboard restraints are tall enough to provide protection, but the center rear restraint would need to be raised from its resting position for taller adult passengers.

Crash-avoidance systems: Standard equipment includes Collision Prevention Assist Plus -- a fancy way of saying forward-collision warning with automatic braking. Also standard is Attention Assist, which monitors over 70 parameters of driving behavior and notifies the driver that maybe they are on the threshold of drowsy driving. C300 buyers also get the Pre-Safe system, which preps the occupants for a crash or rollover scenario; the system will cause the front seat belts to tighten, the front passenger seat to adjust, and the windows and sunroof to close.

Optional is blind-spot warning. This system can be paired with cross-traffic alert, Pre-Safe braking (with pedestrian recognition), and active lane-keeping assist. If you are interested in these systems, it may be easier on your wallet to get the Driver Assistance Package bundling them all together for $2,800.

Driving with kids: Forward-facing seats should prove secure in the outboard seats. Some wider rear-facing infant or convertibles child restraints may allow too much movement in the outboard positions using the belts. The narrow belt spacing, longer buckle and cushion design in the rear center seat of the may allow rear- and forward-facing child restraints too much side-to-side movement. The lower-LATCH anchors are easy to reach and use; they're self-contained in a plastic insert in the rear seat bite cushion area. There are three top-tether anchors on the rear parcel shelf. The tether straps tightness on our forward-facing seat helped to make the seat more secure.

Reliability

We do not have data to predict reliability, this model is new.
Tested model: 2015 C300 sedan AWD, 2.0-liter 4-cyl. turbo, 7-speed automatic
Major options: Rear camera, blind spot assist, sunroof, heated seats, premium package (Burmester stereo, LED headlights).
This road test applies to the current model year of this vehicle.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:59 PM

^ I'm pretty sure when the printed version of this review is published in the magazine it will only be about 1/2 as long. The on-line version is much more thorough.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300
has anyone else noticed this like I have? It doesn't even have to be a "deep" pothole and I can feel it. . . .HARD. Not impressed.

However, overall, I fall in the love with the car all over again every time I get in it.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by seanvree
has anyone else noticed this like I have? It doesn't even have to be a "deep" pothole and I can feel it. . . .HARD. Not impressed.

However, overall, I fall in the love with the car all over again every time I get in it.
That's why my run flats are coming off pronto. Michelin pilot super sports will offer even better comfort and probably increase skid pad performance to at least .9g
Old 11-23-2014, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by c4004matic
That's why my run flats are coming off pronto. Michelin pilot super sports will offer even better comfort and probably increase skid pad performance to at least .9g

yeah, what all-season tire do you guys recommend?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Review Finally Published