C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Narrowing My Choices:W205, M235xi, 435i gc, GLK 250 BT, Countryman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW X3
Narrowing My Choices:W205, M235xi, 435i gc, GLK 250 BT, Countryman

All good vehicles in their own right...

Got to test drive the C400 yesterday (drove the C300 earlier) and its not a slam dunk to go with the 6 banger for me...Over time I find myself more seduced by its sexy good looks.. While it doesnt drive like a bmw, it looks like Adriana Lima and has enough sport for my everyday driving needs.

The GLK "fits me the best" and I love the boxy, trucky design. But the technology feels old today - and it won't feel younger tomorrow.

I love Mini's and the Countryman All 4 is a hoot. But its small and not in the same class of vehicle obviously.

But, we love mini's in our family. My dad has the new coupe and my son drives a Clubman. The price is attractive as heck...time to pocket some $$ each month maybe and go with the Mini????

The M235 xi is by far the funnest to drive and the best BMW since the E46 M3 - but you lose some utility. IF fun to drive with some luxury is the key attribute? The M235 wins by a country mile.

The 435xi gran coupe is the closest comparison to the W205. Both very good cars in their own right..Which is the better fit for me? Not 100% sure yet and it would come down to price too.

Why didnt MB offer a heated steering wheel in the W205? I know that sounds like over-reacting, but once you've had one and live where it snows? You don't want to go without. Especially when I'm paying $50-$60 for a car/suv...

Last edited by midwest Merc; 11-23-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 650i GC
Mini Countryman?

i never thought about the W205 not having a heated steering wheel
Old 11-23-2014, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
There are no bad choices in your group....this is like going to a high end smorgasbord and just deciding what to choose to fill your plate! I checked out a couple of your choices before I made my choice as an ex-W204 owner for six years and simply found my favorite flavor elsewhere (at the risk of offending the more sensitive here).

Luxury/comfort vs. fun/performance....where do you come out? If lux/comfort is your number one, you won't beat the W205. But you have two ends to this spectrum where your other candidates take over.

Utility vs. personal use....what's more important and what falls below your minimum needs? I gave up the rear doors after hoping for a 4 door. I'm finding the driver seat in the 2 fairly easy to work with to put stuff in the back, but I don't need the rear seats for people. If I did, the 2 would have been more of a concern....it is doable, but very tight!

And, while all the cars here perform well, the 435i could most easily represent a "W205 coupe" (albeit 4 door) experience...its a wonderful highway cruiser, but feels dramatically more shifted to comfort/lux than the 2 Series. It feels too heavy and "boggy" to me. To optimize handling, I took the 228i with the Track Package which feels most nimble and best balanced (Track Package is crucial!), and still has great power, if even a bit less than what you drove. With the stick, it's the most active, engaged, and fun experience, perhaps second to a Mini (same parent company!), although my Mini experience is limited.

I had a GLK as a loaner once, and agree it's also excellent at its design intent. It was the most comfortable and responsive small SUV I had driven....if you really need or want a small SUV. If not, you have a "bulkier" driving experience than anything else on your list.

Now that I have a heated steering wheel, I will ALWAYS have one (until we move to California, that is!)

We can't help you with your final preference. That's your personal choice, but once you decide, you have great candidates across the board. There are no bad choices here! Life is good!

Last edited by Sportstick; 11-23-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW X3
Originally Posted by Sportstick
There are no bad choices in your group....this is like going to a high end smorgasbord and just deciding what to choose to fill your plate! I checked out a couple of your choices before I made my choice as an ex-W204 owner for six years and simply found my favorite flavor elsewhere (at the risk of offending the more sensitive here).

Luxury/comfort vs. fun/performance....where do you come out? If lux/comfort is your number one, you won't beat the W205. But you have two ends to this spectrum where your other candidates take over.

Utility vs. personal use....what's more important and what falls below your minimum needs? I gave up the rear doors after hoping for a 4 door. I'm finding the driver seat in the 2 fairly easy to work with to put stuff in the back, but I don't need the rear seats for people. If I did, the 2 would have been more of a concern....it is doable, but very tight!

And, while all the cars here perform well, the 435i could most easily represent a "W205 coupe" (albeit 4 door) experience...its a wonderful highway cruiser, but feels dramatically more shifted to comfort/lux than the 2 Series. It feels too heavy and "boggy" to me. To optimize handling, I took the 228i with the Track Package which feels most nimble and best balanced (Track Package is crucial!), and still has great power, if even a bit less than what you drove. With the stick, it's the most active, engaged, and fun experience, perhaps second to a Mini (same parent company!), although my Mini experience is limited.

I had a GLK as a loaner once, and agree it's also excellent at its design intent. It was the most comfortable and responsive small SUV I had driven....if you really need or want a small SUV. If not, you have a "bulkier" driving experience than anything else on your list.

Now that I have a heated steering wheel, I will ALWAYS have one (until we move to California, that is!)

We can't help you with your final preference. That's your personal choice, but once you decide, you have great candidates across the board. There are no bad choices here! Life is good!
oh believe me, not complaining...As my wife reminds me - sorry for your first world problems
Old 11-23-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
What's the reliability, ride quality, and sound deadening for the Minis like? I've always enjoyed sitting in them at the local auto show, but I'm at the age where I like a comfortable and quiet ride.

Also, an in-law had a Mini and thought the reliability wasn't great. Although she very enjoyed driving the car itself.