C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

When will we get touch screen?

Old 11-26-2014, 09:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
When will we get touch screen?

Does anyone know if there is a plan to add touch screen? The current COMMAND control is not that friendly.

Thanks

Last edited by cheerful; 11-26-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
I don't think we'll see that...I know that there are aftermarket systems which are touch screen...I have one. The COMMAND system (at least for me) was actually very simple...I use the buttons for temperature controls...the other features I've set and really no need to fool with them again...i.e. ambient lighting, audible door locking, interior/exterior lighting. Touch control I've found requires more of my attention when I use it than does the COMMAND system. I found that while initially the COMMAND system appeared complex...the majority of the features you can access are not used. I'm not sure how long you've had your car but give it time and you'll be an expert at it...
Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 AM

C300
That's probably true. However, do you use integrated navigation? How does it work for you?
Old 11-26-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Originally Posted by cheerful
That's probably true. However, do you use integrated navigation? How does it work for you?

I think Mercedes has said on more than one occasion that they believe that touch screens are a major distraction. Now this can be taken as just marketing the fact that they don't have touch screen

There is very little that the integrated voice command cannot do on this updated Command system.

You can say #, Street, City and bang it will find it.
You can call up any media device, radio station (HD FM/Satellite), Memory card.
You can ask for any of your phone contact and say dial home/mobile #
Overall its very fast compared to the previous systems.
There are several * buttons which will quickly bring up a duplicate of the quick touch buttons that will take you directly to any of the menu items instantly.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by cheerful
I've used it...and so far I haven't had any issues...truth be told I've only used it twice...but it worked great in both of the circumstances. What I'm trying to get used to is the graphics...I'm accustomed to Garmin screens which (to me) provide better visual cues. The COMMAND audible cues also needed getting used to...i.e. "prepare to turn"; "turn in 200 feet"; "now turn"...again it's not a feature that I've used a lot.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
The touch pad is pretty close to a touch screen in function. A touch screen would be more direct, but it would never work with the screen in the present location. It really would require a stretch and be very distracting.

While I certainly have my issues with the way the menu structure is set up, particularly with the number of steps required to get to some common functions, a touch screen is not on my list of improvements.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Mercedes has stated that there will be no touch screens in their cars. BMW also. Only VW and and Porsche will use them. I believe Audi has stated that they won't either.

M
Old 11-26-2014, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Hopefully they will never use them.

Oh the fingerprints ..
Old 11-26-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4matic W205
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Mercedes has stated that there will be no touch screens in their cars. BMW also. Only VW and and Porsche will use them. I believe Audi has stated that they won't either.

M
I find touchscreens very difficult to "navigate" while driving. They require a certain amount of precision which is hard to achieve while your body and car are moving around.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
Alpine make very good and easy to integrate touch screens for most mercedes models. They come with trim kits also. I am going with the new 7" alpine with car play. This just acts as a monitor for your iphone and gives maps texts phone. I think it is around $750
Old 11-26-2014, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,046 Likes on 693 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Touch screen or no touchscreen everything that takes your eyes off the road is a distraction. Cars are simply getting way too many doodads. People think that driving a car can be like piloting a jet. In fact driving a car takes a lot more concentration than flying. When you fly a plane you have maybe 15 minutes of concentration (landing and lift off), the remainder of the time you mostly sit there and look out the windows. On a car, particularly in urban driving you have to be constantly hyperaware of your surroundings, pedestrian, cars, trucks, turns, cops, traffic signals, you name it. Even on a runway a plane has it easier since you have air traffic control telling you exactly what to do and where to do it (hopefully). The smartphone is an insidious thing, yes it very helpful and connects you to a world of information. But its a horribly dangerous thing in a car.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:53 AM

C300
Originally Posted by F1BHP
Alpine make very good and easy to integrate touch screens for most mercedes models. They come with trim kits also. I am going with the new 7" alpine with car play. This just acts as a monitor for your iphone and gives maps texts phone. I think it is around $750
Do you have a link?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 328i
Originally Posted by Leslielp
I think Mercedes has said on more than one occasion that they believe that touch screens are a major distraction. Now this can be taken as just marketing the fact that they don't have touch screen
Yep, it's unnecessary/bad/distracting until someone else does it.

Originally Posted by Germancar1
BMW has changed their mind. iDrive in the upcoming new 7 series is touchscreen:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/11/24/g1...idrive-system/

Expect Mercedes will introduce touchscreens once BMW touchscreens are out (I'm sure it's already in development). It may take a couple years but touchscreens will arrive on Mercedes, if only so they match BMW.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by ddarko

BMW has changed their mind. iDrive in the upcoming new 7 series is touchscreen:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/11/24/g1...idrive-system/

Expect Mercedes will introduce touchscreens once BMW touchscreens are out (I'm sure it's already in development). It may take a couple years but touchscreens will arrive on Mercedes, if only so they match BMW.

Oh snap!, and people call the Mercedes infotainment screen ugly
Old 11-26-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Touchscreen--NO

Have driven over 200,000 mi in all models of Lexus w/touchscreens. DO NOT WANT THIS ON MY MB!!. Real pain. Fingerprints. Touches that don't respond. Eyes off road. Etc.
Have no problem using COMAND. Sometimes I use voice commands & other times use Controller. After a while COMAND becomes very easy to use. Second nature. More often I use voice commands. Safer too.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:50 PM

BMW 328i
No attitude was intended on my part. I just mean the Germans track each other very very closely and any feature introduced by one will eventually show up in the others. BMW has copied from MB and Audi so they all do it.

Personally, I think like with most things, touchscreens in cars depend on how well it is implemented. With all the electronics and chips in cars today, cars can't exist in a bubble apart from developments in the wider world and that includes mobile devices where touchscreen have pretty much taken over as the preferred input method. Many people are comfortable with touchscreen and they expect it and find it strange that it isn't in cars. If we're going to have display screens in cars - and we are, we've passed the point of no return long ago - I'd prefer the displays to be capacitive touchscreens like on mobile devices. I think the relying on input devices like the wheel controllers or joysticks to be incredibly stiff; it's odd you can't just touch the display to select what you want to do. I'm not a fan of subsuming ALL controls into the touchscreen like Tesla and I hope that doesn't matter - physical controls for some functions will always be preferable over digital . Of course, car makers have yet to prove themselves capable of writing good software so I expect the first couple generations of touchscreen iDrives to be terrible like iDrive was when it was first introduced.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
I seem to recall seeing a video of a guy in Europe who built an aftermarket kit that turned the W205 Command into touch-screen. Can't find it again though.

Got to admit, coming from two cars that had touch screens, I was surprised that the benz didn't incorporate it. The idea of drawing letters on the touch-pad seems far less intuitive than just typing on an on-screen keyboard. Anyway - wait and see. Might be OK.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:47 PM

C300
Originally Posted by ddarko
I can't agree more
Old 11-26-2014, 09:51 PM

C300
Originally Posted by DBOC205
I seem to recall seeing a video of a guy in Europe who built an aftermarket kit that turned the W205 Command into touch-screen. Can't find it again though.

Got to admit, coming from two cars that had touch screens, I was surprised that the benz didn't incorporate it. The idea of drawing letters on the touch-pad seems far less intuitive than just typing on an on-screen keyboard. Anyway - wait and see. Might be OK.
I found this but not for 2015 model

http://www.incarnav.com/mercedes_benz

I wonder if later on a touch-screen replacement can be installed, without breaking the warranty
Old 11-26-2014, 11:31 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by DBOC205

got a touchscreen keyboard in my car's stereo...It DOES make you take your eyes off the road too long, as you not just need to see what you're tapping, but also confirm that you tapped the right thing. In this case, the touchpad, where you draw the letters helps in that respect.

But switching between functions or picking navigation points would be easier with a touchscreen.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 SL550, 2015 C300
No Touch Screen!

I live in the fourth largest metropolitan area in the U.S. Traffic is intense. No question in my mind touch screens do not belong in cars. A dangerous distraction. As other writers have noted there is no need for it. Bad enough people have cell phones glued to their ears and some have started texting while on the freeway. Comand has verbal commands to change stations, get directions, etc. Just concentrate on driving. Please.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:31 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Advantage: COMAND

Originally Posted by NYC-Style
... The COMMAND audible cues also needed getting used to...i.e. "prepare to turn"; "turn in 200 feet"; "now turn"...again it's not a feature that I've used a lot.
I'm looking forward to getting used to the COMAND audible cues you describe. My present Garmin portable GPS uses cues that don't sufficiently distinguish between approaching a turn or destination and being right there. The screen shots I have seen in MB promotional literature from the Garmin SD chip as installed in the C-Class match what I am used to on my Garmin portable. So I assume MB uses the same Garmin audibles.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
They both have their advantages. I drove Lexus vehicles for 10 years that had touch screens. When they went to the mouse controller, I went to a different brand car so I would still have a touch screen. I didn't like that vehicle and went back to Lexus, with a mouse controller.

I've gotten used to the controller and really like not having a smudged screen and I've gotten more proficient using voice commands and that is really the best.

I think using the touch screen takes less thought and less time of eyes off the road as you are only looking and touching the screen with a finger. With a controller your mind is concentrating on moving you wrists/fingers and looking at the screen while inputting commands....but that's just me.

Neither one is safe.
The following users liked this post:
swanless (07-04-2021)
Old 11-27-2014, 01:31 PM

C300
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
I think using the touch screen takes less thought and less time of eyes off the road as you are only looking and touching the screen with a finger. With a controller your mind is concentrating on moving you wrists/fingers and looking at the screen while inputting commands....but that's just me.

Neither one is safe.
I agree.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:43 PM

W205 C250 Bluetec Sport
Originally Posted by gfmohn
So I assume MB uses the same Garmin audibles.
Although on my W205 the nav instructions are barely audible, even with the auto volume lowering on the radio.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When will we get touch screen?