C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Driving it home

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Driving it home

It was my first time driving a C400, so count me impressed. Deceptively powerful and quiet. Airmatic is definitely worth it, comfort doesn't degrade in any setting, cornering attitude definitely does. I also strongly disagree with the often quoted prefference for the 4 cylinder engine. The 4 cylinder is great but its entirely in a different league. Acceleration is effortless, at any speed, something that can't be said of the 4, the six basically feels like there is an electric motor with interminable torque.
One very nice surprise is how unobtrusive the driver assistance goodies are, you don't even know they are active at all. The lane keep assist work perfectly even with a slight fog, it doesn't get confused by discontinuous road markings. You don't even know its there unless you try to force it to change lanes without signaling. The driver assist package is worth every penny certainly the best of the breed. I have almost exactly the same system in our Acura MDX and it feels a little primitive in comparison. The operation of distronc plus is extraordinary in its smoothness and instantaneous response, again best of breed.
Finally got to test drive the radio thoroughly, also among the best in the market, it takes a little fiddling with the tone controls since its quite bass heavy, but once set, its excellent indeed. Very nuanced with well balanced, non-fatiguing sound. It will also play ridiculously and unnecessarily loud.
I haven't done any handling "tests" since we had six inches of wet, heavy snow, but in sport it seems to handle very smartly. I'm also running on snow tires so any real curve carving will have to wait till spring. On the Michelin Xice 3 the ride is well controlled and smooth,, the car feels unflappable well north of 100mph, a speed at which this car feels more stable and at ease than most cars at 55. The brakes are perfect, not grabby, extraordinary linear and powerful. Best brakes this side of a 911 Ive ever used. Steering weight and precision are perfect, heavy enough to communicate what's happening without having to wrestle the wheel. Absolutely zero feel, but the truths is that the much talked about "feel" was exorcised decades ago. This one, thank god is not loose on center, feels perfectly linear (though it isn't by design), and goes exactly where you point it to with surgical precision.
Lest I forget, the optional lighting package with the adaptable LED headlights, is FLAWLESS. It offers perfect illumination automatically under any condition, paint me doubly impressed!
A word of advice, do not feel any guilt when you mark all the option boxes and the price seems to be getting somewhat high, all the big options, (even the HUD) are worth it in spades, none of them seem half baked "beta" features. All are sophisticated, fully mature systems that thoroughly enhance safety, performance, and comfort. Option away in confidence!
Definitely driving the dream

Last edited by c4004matic; 12-23-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by c4004matic
It was my first time driving a C400, so count me impressed. Deceptively powerful and quiet. Airmatic is definitely worth it, comfort doesn't degrade in any setting, cornering attitude definitely does. I also strongly disagree with the often quoted prefference for the 4 cylinder engine. The 4 cylinder is great but its entirely in a different league. Acceleration is effortless, at any speed, something that can't be said of the 4, the six basically feels like there is an electric motor with interminable torque.
One very nice surprise is how unobtrusive the driver assistance goodies are, you don't even know they are active at all. The lane keep assist work perfectly even with a slight fog, it doesn't get confused by discontinuous road markings. You don't even know its there unless you try to force it to change lanes without signaling. The driver assist package is worth every penny certainly the best of the breed. I have almost exactly the same system in our Acura MDX and it feels a little primitive in comparison. The operation of distronc plus is extraordinary in its smoothness and instantaneous response, again best of breed.
Finally got to test drive the radio thoroughly, also among the best in the market, it takes a little fiddling with the tone controls since its quite bass heavy, but once set, its excellent indeed. Very nuanced with well balanced, non-fatiguing sound. It will also play ridiculously and unnecessarily loud.
I haven't done any handling "tests" since we had six inches of wet, heavy snow, but in sport it seems to handle very smartly. I'm also running on snow tires so any real curve carving will have to wait till spring. On the Michelin Xice 3 the ride is well controlled and smooth,, the car feels unflappable well north of 100mph, a speed at which this car feels more stable and at ease than most cars at 55. The brakes are perfect, not grabby, extraordinary linear and powerful. Best brakes this side of a 911 Ive ever used. Steering weight and precision are perfect, heavy enough to communicate what's happening without having to wrestle the wheel. Absolutely zero feel, but the truths is that the much talked about "feel" was exorcised decades ago. This one, thank god is not loose on center, feels perfectly linear (though it isn't by design), and goes exactly where you point it to with surgical precision.
Lest I forget, the optional lighting package with the adaptable LED headlights, is FLAWLESS. It offers perfect illumination automatically under any condition, paint me doubly impressed!
A word of advice, do not feel any guilt when you mark all the option boxes and the price seems to be getting somewhat high, all the big options, (even the HUD) are worth it in spades, none of them seem half baked "beta" features. All are sophisticated, fully mature systems that thoroughly enhance safety, performance, and comfort. Option away in confidence!
Definitely driving the dream

We're sincerely glad you got your car and that you are happy with it c4004matic, but not really a good helpful, objective 'review' man. Glad you didn't confabulate facts and data this round, but it's kinda similar to your posts when others got their car, etc.....compensatory "advice" of whatever YOU pick must be "the best'.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by floridadriver
We're sincerely glad you got your car and that you are happy with it c4004matic, but not really a good helpful, objective 'review' man. Glad you didn't confabulate facts and data this round, but it's kinda similar to your posts when others got their car, etc.....compensatory "advice" of whatever YOU pick must be "the best'.

All reviews are biased, welcome to the real world. My opinions come from a guy that has driven pretty much every brand under the sun at inane speeds since I used to be an amateur rally racer. Plus Ive owned 20+ cars in the last 30+ years from clunkers to racers to "luxury" cars.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD

All reviews are biased, welcome to the real world. My opinions come from a guy that has driven pretty much every brand under the sun at inane speeds since I used to be an amateur rally racer. Plus Ive owned 20+ cars in the last 30+ years from clunkers to racers to "luxury" cars.
Honestly sounds like just more beating on your own chest, again. Too bad if that experience was even close to a reality that you didn't gain wisdom and objectivity from it to write good analysis.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Honestly sounds like just more beating on your own chest, again. Too bad if that experience was even close to a reality that you didn't gain wisdom and objectivity from it to write good analysis.

You need to get a life. Your inferiority complex keeps getting in the way.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VW Golf GTD
I quite agree. How dare he share his opinions with the rest of the world! You should go around to his house and harangue him some more.

Is there a reason why you're so obnoxious?
Old 12-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Infraction issued!
Old 12-24-2014, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
[QUOTE=juwivive;6273237]I quite agree. How dare he share his opinions with the rest of the world! You should go around to his house and harangue him some more.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:48 PM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
[QUOTE=c4004matic;6273250]
Originally Posted by juwivive
I quite agree. How dare he share his opinions with the rest of the world! You should go around to his house and harangue him some more.

I think you just slammed someone who was defending you via sarcasm in his post.

Edit: oops I clearly need glasses. Sorry c4004matic
Old 12-24-2014, 05:54 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
You need to get a life. Your inferiority complex keeps getting in the way.
I've read a lot of posts in this board and the other forums you post on, and more than any other users, your info as been the least accurate, and don't think of anyone on the boards, you should be talking about an inferiority complex.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by HelenR
I've read a lot of posts in this board and the other forums you post on, and more than any other users, your info as been the least accurate, and don't think of anyone on the boards, you should be talking about an inferiority complex.
As a guy that diagnoses personality disorders on a regular basis I feel eminently qualified, at least my license says so
Old 12-24-2014, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
[QUOTE=cidtek;6273550]

I think you just slammed someone who was defending you via sarcasm in his post.

Edit: oops I clearly need glasses. Sorry c4004matic
As a guy with a generally acerbic disposition I'm a master at sarcasm However it appears to be difficult for older people and non natives to grasp!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW X3
Congratulations and enjoy the new car op!!

I'm torn right now between C300, C400 or M235i....

I know, first world problem..
Old 12-24-2014, 11:16 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
As a guy that diagnoses personality disorders on a regular basis I feel eminently qualified, at least my license says so
That's as believable as most of your posts. I've read them, and not just on this site.

Let it go, and go enjoy your nice new car!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
That's as believable as most of your posts. I've read them, and not just on this site.

Let it go, and go enjoy your nice new car!
I guess I'm famous because I only have posted twice at another MB site. So you there must be another person with my pseudonym
Old 12-25-2014, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I guess I'm famous because I only have posted twice at another MB site. So you there must be another person with my pseudonym
Actually, six posts at BenzWorld. Let's be accurate here ....
Old 12-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by StanNH
Accurate, he doesn't know what that means. He trolls others too. As vic viper said in another thread, you learn by reading before posting who to believe and who not to, and who is considerate. This guy is just far outside the bell curve. Oh well. Theres only a few of them thankfully.

Hope you are enjoying your C300 Stan and have provided me some helpful tips. Hope I can return the favor some day. I'm researching like crazy (minus Christmas dinner soon) Happy Holidays.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Accurate, he doesn't know what that means. He trolls others too. As vic viper said in another thread, you learn by reading before posting who to believe and who not to, and who is considerate. This guy is just far outside the bell curve. Oh well. Theres only a few of them thankfully.

Hope you are enjoying your C300 Stan and have provided me some helpful tips. Hope I can return the favor some day. I'm researching like crazy (minus Christmas dinner soon) Happy Holidays.

Well you are simply mistaken, so if you wish to live with an inherent prejudice that is your option. You will be as informed and enlightened as Florida driver! At least I have read the manual multiple times and now actually own the car with every option. Around here less than half are owners, never mind the fact, that most people that have the car ever endeavor to read an entire owners manual. If you are civil as StanH who can disagree without being a pinhead you will be great, on the other hand, if you are petulant and insolent you will be as liked as Florida driver. Around here no one except Glynruck is an MB expert all others are fans with varying levels of automotive expertise, from none to quite a bit.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by StanNH
How many of those are wrong?
Old 12-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

How many of those are wrong?
In the UK you would be labeled a plonker!
Old 12-25-2014, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
In the UK you would be labeled a plonker!

I'm just not a daisy. As a former US army sergeant I'm not one to shrink from a good fight.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580

Florida driver did you simply change your handle? Now that would be a definite psychiatric sign. I do know a few shrinks in Florida that would love to get a multiple personality disorder patient since shrinks have been debating if such a thing really exists since Sybil !
Old 12-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

I'm just not a daisy. As a former US army sergeant I'm not one to shrink from a good fight.
You disgrace everything the US army stands for.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
You disgrace everything the US army stands for.

You mean like torturing prisoners and peeing on dead bodies? I highly doubt that.
BTW, a highly decorated one! But never did get to shoot at any one. After the first Persian gulf war a medical career seemed like a better choice.

Last edited by c4004matic; 12-25-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

The complaints from your fellow US members are such that you won't be here for much longer. Keep it up & we will ban you permanently.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving it home