C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Transmission not in P Risk of Vehicle Rolling Away

Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Transmission not in P Risk of Vehicle Rolling Away

End of last week, my wife experienced an error message called "Transmission not in P Risk of Vehicle Rolling Away." She called me and told me about the problem. Today when we were driving away from the store, it happened again. I am going to email my service adviser to see if what he says. Has any experience this problem before?

To get rid the problem, I had to turn off the engine. The first time it did not work. So I opened the door and slam it shut again again. The second time it worked. So this seems to be getting worse. As you can see from the two attached photos, the gears are in either reverse or in drive. So I don't see why the error message would come along? My gut feeling tells me the door sensor malfunction. However, as you can see from the picture, there are no open door messages on the dash. This is just weird. Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails Transmission not in P Risk of Vehicle Rolling Away-img_0962-1-.jpg   Transmission not in P Risk of Vehicle Rolling Away-img_0961-1-.jpg  
Old 01-22-2015, 12:55 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
I think it's just the door not completely closed. I got the same message when I tried to move my car a bit more to the front in my garage with the door open. That's why it went away when you slammed shut the door. It's programmed to alert you when you get out of the car while it's not in park.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
I have a new GLK and I think it's just a sensor that detects that the gear is not in P. While installing parktronic sensors, I put it in reverse for a few seconds to test it. After awhile it went to P by itself. Very cool!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:54 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by huyuci
I think it's just the door not completely closed. I got the same message when I tried to move my car a bit more to the front in my garage with the door open. That's why it went away when you slammed shut the door. It's programmed to alert you when you get out of the car while it's not in park.
The door is definitely shut close. If you look a the picture, there are no warning lights on the dash that tells the door is open. In addition, the interior light was turned off before this all happened. It pops back up when the alarm starts to sound. I am guessing the door sensor is not working properly.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:56 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by sblvro
I have a new GLK and I think it's just a sensor that detects that the gear is not in P. While installing parktronic sensors, I put it in reverse for a few seconds to test it. After awhile it went to P by itself. Very cool!
I don't have the parktronic sensor. I was kinda surprised it was not included as part of the rear camera.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:34 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Something is very weird with this car. I have decided to turn on the engine. Leave it in park. I open the driver's door to see if I can see a message. There are no messages on instrument panel! Okay, that can't be right. So I went to the owner's manual. On page 281, I am suppose to see a door open. What is going on?
Old 01-22-2015, 02:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Sounds like a trip to your dealer.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C 180 AMG Sportline W205
It's the door. Had this issue many times when the car was brand new. The door is not entirely shut, but not open enough to set off the interior lights.

Also had the car in at the dealer and they took a look, but it was the same issue with all C's they had standing.
The driver door on the C is lighter than "normal" and will take more force to close shut the first couple of months.

The reason you are not getting the door waning is because it is the driver door that is open and the gear is in Drive, and your foot is not on the brake. So the cars computer logic can only show one warning at a time in the display - and the gear being in Drive and not in Park is the more severe warning than just telling you the door is open and not warn you about the car being in Drive.

If the driver door is closed but one of the other doors are open, then you will get the door open warning and which door.

Last edited by megaoctane; 02-03-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 AM

C220 BlueTec AT
I have had the same experience once or twice when leaving home. It is a door that is not completely closed when you try to move from Park to Drive or Reverse.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:21 PM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by megaoctane
It's the door. Had this issue many times when the car was brand new. The door is not entirely shut, but not open enough to set off the interior lights.

Also had the car in at the dealer and they took a look, but it was the same issue with all C's they had standing.
The driver door on the C is heavier than "normal" and will take more force to close shut the first couple of months.

The reason you are not getting the door waning is because it is the driver door that is open and the gear is in Drive, and your foot is not on the brake. So the cars computer logic can only show one warning at a time in the display - and the gear being in Drive and not in Park is the more severe warning than just telling you the door is open and not warn you about the car being in Drive.

If the driver door is closed but one of the other doors are open, then you will get the door open warning and which door.
I tried this combination. The car is in Park. The driver door is closed. The passenger door is open. I still do not get door open warning message. Does the door open warning message only appear when the car is in drive or reverse?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
Only when in D or R.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 PM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by sblvro
Only when in D or R.
I just tried these combinations. The car is in park. I open the passenger door. Then I put in D drive or reverse. There is no door open warning message. I even move a tad and still no warning message.

Is this normal?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 PM

2015 C400

The driver door on the C is heavier than "normal" and will take more force to close shut the first couple of months.

Agree with the post above

Same thing happened to me once...and it hasnt happened ever since. I realized I didn't shut the door completely. These doors need a hard push.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:42 PM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by icycrazydesi
Agree with the post above

Same thing happened to me once...and it hasnt happened ever since. I realized I didn't shut the door completely. These doors need a hard push.
Great, it is good to have another confirmation. I am still puzzle as to how to see the door open message. This is the weirdest car I have been in. Normally, I see a little door open symbol. That is what I expect to see, but I haven't seem that warning message.

I am going to see if I contact Mercedes Benz regarding this. The warning message is not very meaningful. We need a better message like driver door open.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:01 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Anyways, I submitted this link to the MB USA. Although, I probably submit into the wrong section. Hopefully, the concern gets into the right people. I really wish this car has better warning message. Transmission in Park risk of rolling away does not tell me any reason why this is the case. All the car I have so far always tells me with a little icon that the door is open. I just find it strange I never seem it on C300. Am I crazy to expect messages that points me to where the problem is? I really miss the door open icon.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 MercedesAMG C63S
Originally Posted by solarflare
Great, it is good to have another confirmation. I am still puzzle as to how to see the door open message. This is the weirdest car I have been in. Normally, I see a little door open symbol. That is what I expect to see, but I haven't seem that warning message.

I am going to see if I contact Mercedes Benz regarding this. The warning message is not very meaningful. We need a better message like driver door open.
There is no Door Open Message when the door is open. Strange I know, but there isn't one...
Old 01-25-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
I think MB will put in a door open message when someone falls out of the car. Sad but true...
Old 01-26-2015, 12:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 MercedesAMG C63S
Originally Posted by miketc
I think MB will put in a door open message when someone falls out of the car. Sad but true...
I dont get it tho. My dads Benz has it. And I think its a 2012 maybe. Kind of a weird thing to take out.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:10 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by miketc
There is supposed to be one in the manual. I could never get it to display. I will let the dealer know next time if I am in the shop to check it out.

I got a very standard response from MB USA. Basically, told me my dealer will diagnosis the problem. I gave a very poor feedback on the survey. At very least, respond to what I have wrote instead of giving me a robotic response. In this respect, MB dropped the ball. My experience is getting soured by this and the bleeding problem.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:12 AM

It is there, and the graphic shows which door is open also. Works on mine.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:41 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
It is there, and the graphic shows which door is open also. Works on mine.
Can you describe what trigger the door opening message? Please also take a photo so I can show the photo to dealer. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:11 PM

Here it is:

Door was slightly open. Put the car in drive, started to drive, over 5-7km/h, the warning message comes up. Slowing down, it disappears. Increase speed again, and the warning message comes back.
A beatuiful detailed picture. like the fact that you can see the dashboard screen through the front window

Transmission not in P Risk of Vehicle Rolling Away-image_zps04adcbfb.jpg

Last edited by megaoctane; 01-27-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:02 AM

updated with picture
Old 02-02-2015, 06:39 AM

2015 C180 Avantgarde RWD, Egypt

Agreed with megaoctane same thing happened to me and it was the door not closing properly, confused me a lot though. Took me several times to figure out the combination for the error (i think it might be due to the autocar shutoff and the door as well)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by solarflare
End of last week, my wife experienced an error message called "Transmission not in P Risk of Vehicle Rolling Away." She called me and told me about the problem. Today when we were driving away from the store, it happened again. I am going to email my service adviser to see if what he says. Has any experience this problem before?

To get rid the problem, I had to turn off the engine. The first time it did not work. So I opened the door and slam it shut again again. The second time it worked. So this seems to be getting worse. As you can see from the two attached photos, the gears are in either reverse or in drive. So I don't see why the error message would come along? My gut feeling tells me the door sensor malfunction. However, as you can see from the picture, there are no open door messages on the dash. This is just weird. Any advice?
Hi,

I work on the SW part of the Mercedes. This is no problem. The message clearly says that the gear is not in "P" . Hence before you come out of your vehicle you need to engage either "P" Or "N" gear.

There is a function called stand still coordinator which does this thing. And I guess you have a manual transmission. In this case it will also give an acoustic warning. In case of automatic transmission this is taken care automatically. You can leave the car in any gear position and it will make it to "P" by itself.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Transmission not in P Risk of Vehicle Rolling Away