C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Turning it off...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:58 AM

Location: Her Majesty's Glorious Midlands of the United Kingdom of Great Britain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Premium Plus Estate (S205)
Turning it off...

Maybe I'm just being stupid or this is how it works. Car has keyless entry & keyless go. In my Jaguar, you turned the car on with one press of the button, or started the engine with a long press. In the C, that at least appears to be the same, except with short presses you can do one for 'a little bit on', two for 'a bit more on', and a long press for engine start.

It's turning it off that puzzles me, mainly because it doesn't seem to power down until I open the door. In the Jag, one press of the button turned the car off. Everything. Just like turning off and taking the key out in ye olden days. In the C, it still seems to be on, along with the stereo blaring away which is the most annoying.

Am I just doing it wrong? Should there be several presses to stop and turn everything off? Or is this just how it works? I'm got the MB Guides app on the iPad and ploughed through the manual but it's not very enlightening.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
I think you need to identify what is what here first, in a regular key setup, the car has ignition 1, ignition 2 and start position with the key.
A keyless go system is pretty much the same, one press (without brake) turns on ignition position 1, another press turns the car in ignition position 2, and another turns ignition off.
When brake pedal is pressed a short press on the start button starts the car, no need for long press.
Turning the car off by a short press leaves the car in ignition position on, and as soon as you open the drivers side door the system turns off completely.

I wouldnt want the car to completely black out (lights and stereo) once you just turn off the engine.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:01 AM

Location: Her Majesty's Glorious Midlands of the United Kingdom of Great Britain
Yes, I'm familiar with keyless systems, as I mentioned in the original post, my Jaguar has one.

What I don't seem to be able to achieve is actually turning the car completely off without opening the driver's door. The manual isn't particularly clear on if this is possible. Pressing the button just seems to alternate between key position 1 and 2 and never back to 0.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 MercedesAMG C63S
There isn't a way to do so other than what the other poster said. The reason for this is when you turn the engine off and dont open the door you may want to still charge your phone, or listen to the radio for a short while. If you dont do anything for like 10 mins I think, the car will switch off completely as to not drain the battery (provided the drivers door hasn't been opened yet). GM cars also do this, where the radio and power stays on until the (drivers) door is opened.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:25 AM

That's unfortunate, but I guess just something else to get used to with the new car. My wife's 2014 Mazda 3 also behaves in the same manner as the Jaguar. Press the button when it's running and it kills everything. In both the Jag and the Mazda, you can give a short press on the button (without pressing the brake in the automatic Jag) and it's the same as putting it back to traditional key position 1, so you can have basic power to things. But another press turns it back off.

Guess I'll just have to get into the habit of hitting the mute button on the radio after P and the parking brake!
The following users liked this post:
AKITAK9 (12-29-2019)
Old 01-25-2015, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
My guess is that most people would want it the way it is instead of instant off.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by vic viper
My guess is that most people would want it the way it is instead of instant off.

Put me on this camp, I like to turn off my engine and gather my things while still listening to the radio.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
its just the same on BMW. It all turns off when you open the door.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
I rented a brand new 3er and the radio didn't actually turn off until I got out of the car and locked the doors. Maybe I was doing something wrong but hat was weird. At least we don't have to deal with the ridiculous BMW turn signal stalk!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C 300
My Lexus would turn off everything in the car as soon as I pushed the button to turn off the engine. I much prefer the Mercedes' behavior.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:56 PM

C300 4Matic
I think the benz behaves just like the cars of yesteryear (you know 1990). So when you turn off the car and even remove the key the radio stays on with reserved power once you open the door radio and all aux turns off. Or you could choose to turn off the radio by switch which you could also easily do in the Benz.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:13 AM

2016 MercedesAMG C63S
Originally Posted by dnice-1
I think the benz behaves just like the cars of yesteryear (you know 1990). So when you turn off the car and even remove the key the radio stays on with reserved power once you open the door radio and all aux turns off. Or you could choose to turn off the radio by switch which you could also easily do in the Benz.
Don't think its a yesteryear thing, just a convenience thing. A lot of people, including myself would not like the car to shut of when turning of the engine. Because there are a lot times you're in traffic, or waiting for a train to go by (which takes forever) to take the engine off and not waste gas, but still want some features available.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
So how does this work with the auto start/stop system. If I stop in my driveway, without doing anything else, won't the engine stop? Then if I put it in park, to shut the engine off what happens?
EDIT: Think I figured it out...the engine turns off, it's just the accessories that remain on? Initially I thought the engine stays on until you open the door...duh!!!

Last edited by PeteInGilroy; 01-26-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW X1 / GLA 180
[QUOTE=I wouldnt want the car to completely black out (lights and stereo) once you just turn off the engine.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. When I’m sat in thee car waiting for whatever reason, I don’t want to have to sit there with all of the auto features running without opening the door. BMW has a two press feature that turns off the ignition

Last edited by Wayne Jones; 04-04-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-04-2019, 11:18 AM

BMW X1 / GLA 180
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Im afraid not. BMW has a two press feature for turning off the ignition
Old 04-04-2019, 11:20 AM

BMW X1 / GLA 180
Originally Posted by bensales
Maybe I'm just being stupid or this is how it works. Car has keyless entry & keyless go. In my Jaguar, you turned the car on with one press of the button, or started the engine with a long press. In the C, that at least appears to be the same, except with short presses you can do one for 'a little bit on', two for 'a bit more on', and a long press for engine start.

It's turning it off that puzzles me, mainly because it doesn't seem to power down until I open the door. In the Jag, one press of the button turned the car off. Everything. Just like turning off and taking the key out in ye olden days. In the C, it still seems to be on, along with the stereo blaring away which is the most annoying.

Am I just doing it wrong? Should there be several presses to stop and turn everything off? Or is this just how it works? I'm got the MB Guides app on the iPad and ploughed through the manual but it's not very enlightening.
i absolutely agree. MB is so frustrating with this.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:23 AM

BMW X1 / GLA 180
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
I rented a brand new 3er and the radio didn't actually turn off until I got out of the car and locked the doors. Maybe I was doing something wrong but hat was weird. At least we don't have to deal with the ridiculous BMW turn signal stalk!
BMW can have the ignition turned off. It’s a two press feature 😁
Old 04-04-2019, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 444 Likes on 344 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by bensales

It depends on if your foot is on the brake or not. Foot on brake + one press = car starts.

Mercedes Benz has always had the radio remain on after shut down.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:56 PM
CJG

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
I much prefer the stereo stay on. Maybe I'm waiting to pick someone up. Or, I want to hear the end of a song. Or, I'm just gathering my things. This is the logical way it should work.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
W205
I really like the MB ignition setup. It’s probably the easiest to use system compared to the other luxury brands I tested. When I’m done driving it’s literally just come to a stop(foot is already on brake) push in with your foot (hold) and press the ignition button and GTFO of the car, that’s it. No parking brake pressed or putting the car in park, it’s all done for you. I also that the radio is still on even after the car is off, I like to check out my phone for a bit when I’m done driving.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Cali4niadriver
I really like the MB ignition setup. It’s probably the easiest to use system compared to the other luxury brands I tested. When I’m done driving it’s literally just come to a stop(foot is already on brake) push in with your foot (hold) and press the ignition button and GTFO of the car, that’s it. No parking brake pressed or putting the car in park, it’s all done for you. I also that the radio is still on even after the car is off, I like to check out my phone for a bit when I’m done driving.
You can park and make sweet love to your girl with music on. 😃👌
Old 04-05-2019, 01:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 C 300 4matic Lunar blue
That's good-In New York State it is illegal to make sweet love unless parked.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by fbsdmd
That's good-In New York State it is illegal to make sweet love unless parked.
Someone actually wrote a specific law for that?
Old 04-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Maybe.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:56 PM

It could depend on your definition of sweet love

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turning it off...