C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Door Handle LED Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 AMG E53
Door Handle LED Issue

How long did it take to get your door LED door handle issues resolved?

My rear driver's side LED turned purple about three months ago. It went to the dealership in late December, and I was told they needed to order a new door handle. That arrive at the end of December and they needed to send it to the bodyshop to be painted. Because of all the snow in Boston, I was only able to get it into the dealership last week to have it installed. It got picked up on Tuesday and returned on Wednesday. The only issue was that they NEVER actually did the repair. They claim it was replaced but were unaware that there was an LED. The service advisor is unreachable and won't return calls, so the next day I finally called the service manager. I explained that, while the issue is very minor, particularly given all of the issues others have experienced, it is frustrating that the car would be returned without so much as a phone call that they were unable to resolve the matter. The service manager called me back saying that they had never seen lighted door handles on the C class. That's equally concerning, since most of them do have the LEDs, and even the loaner they gave me had a dead LED in one of the exterior door handles. I have to say that this, combined with the squealing brakes, and having just discovered that the MB-Tex trim on my leather seats is also affected by the bleeding has me extremely disappointed. The dealership hasn't contacted me in a week about the door handle, and, while minor, I still cannot believe they would return the car with that not addressed, specifically since that is precisely why it went down there.

Did anyone else run into the dealership being dumfounded by the LED doorhandles?

Last edited by bostonc400; 03-05-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4Matic
My 4 LEDs have been replaced about two weeks ago.

Initially the rear passenger side went out, then the driver's side went purple. I scheduled a fix together with the bleeding seat and they didn't reply until after a month, claiming they had to wait for the parts. then prior to going to the dealer, my rear driver LED went out and the passenger went purple too. so I say they dont last more than 4months.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 PM

2023 AMG E53
Originally Posted by utsenmo
My 4 LEDs have been replaced about two weeks ago.

Initially the rear passenger side went out, then the driver's side went purple. I scheduled a fix together with the bleeding seat and they didn't reply until after a month, claiming they had to wait for the parts. then prior to going to the dealer, my rear driver LED went out and the passenger went purple too. so I say they dont last more than 4months.
Yeah, I think my driver's door is turning purple, but cannot compare it to the rear driver's side, since the other is out. However, the loaner had one dead and two purple. My car and the loaner were 08/14 builds. Mine only has 1200 miles on it too.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by bostonc400
How long did it take to get your door LED door handle issues resolved?

My rear driver's side LED turned purple about three months ago. It went to the dealership in late December, and I was told they needed to order a new door handle. That arrive at the end of December and they needed to send it to the bodyshop to be painted. Because of all the snow in Boston, I was only able to get it into the dealership last week to have it installed. It got picked up on Tuesday and returned on Wednesday. The only issue was that they NEVER actually did the repair. They claim it was replaced but were unaware that there was an LED. The service advisor is unreachable and won't return calls, so the next day I finally called the service manager. I explained that, while the issue is very minor, particularly given all of the issues others have experienced, it is frustrating that the car would be returned without so much as a phone call that they were unable to resolve the matter. The service manager called me back saying that they had never seen lighted door handles on the C class. That's equally concerning, since most of them do have the LEDs, and even the loaner they gave me had a dead LED in one of the exterior door handles. I have to say that this, combined with the squealing brakes, and having just discovered that the MB-Tex trim on my leather seats is also affected by the bleeding has me extremely disappointed. The dealership hasn't contacted me in a week about the door handle, and, while minor, I still cannot believe they would return the car with that not addressed, specifically since that is precisely why it went down there.

Did anyone else run into the dealership being dumfounded by the LED doorhandles?
They might not know, or just saying that. All problems are usually "the very first have heard of that. Nobody else has ever complained of that". Contact MBUSA and open a case. If nothing else, they'll get you help from another dealer. That said, I haven't heard success from anyone going thru the hassle to replace these lights without them burning out rapidly again. LEDs supposed to last a long time, sounds like a vendor QC issue.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 AM

2015 C300 Luxury
Which dealer are you working with?

I'd give Mercedes of Burlington a try even if you have to drive up there a little out of the ways. They are newly opened and so far have great customer service (not perfect, they had no idea how to fix the misaligned bumper).
Old 03-06-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Are the door handle LED's part of the lighting package (which I do NOT have but do have the keyless go and premium package)? I do have outside mirror lights that come on when I unlock the car but can not honestly recall if I have even seen the door handles light up. I guess it is possible they have never worked.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
My driver's door LED went out with no warning, and didn't work for several weeks. Then it came back on, flickered a few times, and went off again. A few weeks ago it started working fine again. My dealer checked it and said voltage was fine and no codes were thrown. It's still working.

My suspicion is a bad ground, but no way of knowing for sure.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:40 AM

2023 AMG E53
Originally Posted by goherdibg
Are the door handle LED's part of the lighting package (which I do NOT have but do have the keyless go and premium package)? I do have outside mirror lights that come on when I unlock the car but can not honestly recall if I have even seen the door handles light up. I guess it is possible they have never worked.
My understanding is that the lighted exterior door handles are included with KeylessGo, which is now included in the premium package. However, that's in the US market. Even Canadian bound vehicles are packaged differently.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by bostonc400
My understanding is that the lighted exterior door handles are included with KeylessGo, which is now included in the premium package. However, that's in the US market. Even Canadian bound vehicles are packaged differently.
Thanks. I will look for the lights tonight when it gets dark outside.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
My drivers door LED went out soon after I got the car in September. I brought to the dealer in February. It took a couple of weeks to get the parts and less than a day to replace the light. It's worked fine since then, about a month.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:05 PM

C220 AMG Line Prem+
Originally Posted by floridadriver
They might not know, or just saying that. All problems are usually "the very first have heard of that. Nobody else has ever complained of that". Contact MBUSA and open a case. If nothing else, they'll get you help from another dealer. That said, I haven't heard success from anyone going thru the hassle to replace these lights without them burning out rapidly again. LEDs supposed to last a long time, sounds like a vendor QC issue.
This problem isn't only US based, my UK car has 3 failed door handle lights and its 3 months old. Also a couple of other UK members have said the same. I reported it to the dealer a week before my car was in for a safety recall on the timing belt tensioner but when I picked the car up they hadn't fixed them and said the parts were now on order, it's back in next Friday for them sorting.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:07 AM

2014 C Class Saloon C250 Diesel AMG Line RWD, Nissan GTR
Originally Posted by barnsleyshaun
This problem isn't only US based, my UK car has 3 failed door handle lights and its 3 months old. Also a couple of other UK members have said the same. I reported it to the dealer a week before my car was in for a safety recall on the timing belt tensioner but when I picked the car up they hadn't fixed them and said the parts were now on order, it's back in next Friday for them sorting.
UK car here as well. 2 front handles replaced and 3rd on the rear door is getting replaced next week. I have also asked they replace the other rear door handle. Heard there was a bad batch produced and the dealer had taken delivery of 160 replacement units.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:51 PM

C220 AMG Line Prem+
So do they have to replace the full door handle then?
Old 03-07-2015, 04:50 PM

2023 AMG E53
Originally Posted by barnsleyshaun
So do they have to replace the full door handle then?
I believe that that is what they must do.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Both my front passenger and driver door LEDs went purple off and on then off around the end of January.

If you look at the door handle in the pull open position you can see the tiny LED bulb.
They don't look like they are burnt out, which is fairly hard to do.
The fact that they changed colour to purple prior to failure makes me think its a voltage regulator issue.

Its only noticeable at night and its the only issue with my W205. I am in no rush to waist time at my dealer on a fault they will figure out a simple solution to by summer. IMO
Old 10-30-2015, 09:14 AM

S205
Did you guys get the bulbs replaced under warranty?

i just had one replaced the other week. I assumed under warranty. Much to my surprise, the bill from the dealer arrived in the mail today. ( my car is obviously still under warranty)
Old 10-30-2015, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Eilers

i just had one replaced the other week. I assumed under warranty. Much to my surprise, the bill from the dealer arrived in the mail today. ( my car is obviously still under warranty)
How much did the bill state was the cost of replacing a door LED bulb?
Old 10-30-2015, 12:00 PM

S205
I think it was 55 usd. Not crazy money, but it's more the principle of it.. why would it not be under warranty..

a quick calculation based on how we use the car, and how long the diode burns when operating the door, tells me the LED diode would not have burned longer then 225 minutes in total. thats only 4 hrs... surely you can expect longer life?
Old 10-30-2015, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Eilers
I think it was 55 usd. Not crazy money, but it's more the principle of it.. why would it not be under warranty..

a quick calculation based on how we use the car, and how long the diode burns when operating the door, tells me the LED diode would not have burned longer then 225 minutes in total. thats only 4 hrs... surely you can expect longer life?
Others have had issues with the Door Handle LEDs and had them replaced. To my knowledge, you're the first person who has said they were charged for the bulb replacement.

If I were you, I'd complain to your dealer first, then MBUSA next if your dealer doesn't cover this under warranty.