C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

new C300 with Engine noise

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by Trancebolt
mine is 2015; the loaner they gave is 2017. sorry for the unclear paragraph.

THey are rebuilding it now. THankfully they couldnt finish by friday. Was not comfortable with this being done in 2 days. 5 days, thats more like it.... Dont need them rushing... =D
Agree, and IMO make sure the tech put at least 100 miles on it after the replacement. I get the impression that's standard with this repair, but don't get short-changed if they're in a hurry for some reason. Let them catch any leaks or performance issues. Meanwhile, enjoy the loaner -- which I'm pretty sure also benefits the dealer too, in the long run. ("Could we interest you in a special price on that loaner model, sir?" )
Old 12-27-2016, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by chicago-guy
Glad you got it back, I hope you find the fix is worth the inconvenience as I have.

Along the lines of other responses, if the dealership required that you return the loaner with the exact level of gas you got it with, they should do the same with your car. Pretty sure they did with mine after the wrist pin surgery, after driving it 100-plus miles. My guess is, this was an oversight. In my experience, at least at my dealership, they aim for completely happy customers because they want the future business, and they wouldn't knowingly jeopardize that for $30 worth of gas. Plus that probably gets tacked onto the bill to MB headquarters, which is covering the tab for this glaring flaw fix.

Bottom line: there wouldn't be any harm IMO to contacting the dealership customer reps to explain the situation and ask about their policy on this. If they're smart, they'll invite you to drop by for a free top-off.

I think I will at least mention it when my service rep gets back from vacation. I thought it was odd that it was on empty... mileage tracker said 35 miles left. If the light wasn't on, I probably wouldn't have even noticed.
I went back into the dealership and spoke with a different rep and she told me that it's normal for the tech to drive 100+ miles after the fix to make sure everything is ok... which I already knew. And that they don't normally top it back off.
MB Seattle has been "friendly" but not very good. I've had to request many things that I believed would be standard. Hopefully the mechanical work is much better.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
Attached my repair sheet from the rebuild. Got it back last wednesday night; Put 200 miles on it so far on top of the 50 for testing done, and the other 100 they put on after the rebuild at the dealer.

Sound is completely gone. Feels better at all throttle positions, and im excited to get a chance to break it in properly.

In case anyone is interested in the parts/desc
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
svc sheet.pdf (4.47 MB, 286 views)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:11 PM

2015 C300 sport
Attached my repair sheet from the rebuild. Got it back last wednesday night; Put 200 miles on it so far on top of the 50 for testing done, and the other 100 they put on after the rebuild at the dealer.

Sound is completely gone. Feels better at all throttle positions, and im excited to get a chance to break it in properly.

In case anyone is interested in the parts/desc
Congrats on the successful surgery. Thanks for sharing the sheet.
The following users liked this post:
Trancebolt (01-06-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C300 4Matic
Just bought a CPO 2014 C300 4Matic fully loaded with 34k miles last week (under warranty with unlimited miles until 12/28/18).. When I picked it up, it had been inside for a few days getting cleaned up, so it wasn't out in the Minnesota cold (was -30 last week)..

I noticed the ticking noise while in idle next to a brick wall with my window down.. On cold startups it is more noticeable, but it doesn't totally go away after it's warmed up. Engine actually sounds great inside the cabin during acceleration.. Acceleration is smooth.. No check engine light, or any dash lights.. No leaks as far as I can tell.. Doesn't get louder/worse when I rev the engine.. Temp is steady.. Getting right around 30 MPG on the highway.. Noise seems to be coming from back/top left of the engine..

Any input would be appreciated...

Here's the video of a cold startup..

Old 01-17-2017, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
That is normal direct injection noise, nothing to worry about.

the piston issue is a loud deeper rattle when coming off the gas/revs are dropping. This is due to the crank driving the piston heads without load vs the car under load where expanding gasses press the piston against the bearing/wrist pin.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:58 PM

2 weeks and 800 lightly driven miles later and I have a fuel injector seal blown.

Car shook at startup, 1st gear kicked hard in limp mode, and the car started to smell like gas.

Went home and got my diesel, next morning had to flatbed to Mercedes. Gallons of gas puddled around my car in the morning..

They said theyre replacing all the fuel injector seals. Very displeased and concerned. I get it back soon unfortunately.

* Got car back from svc today with a very uninspiring explanation and vry little concern for me at all.

Attached repair sheet for those interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
svc2.pdf (1.15 MB, 237 views)

Last edited by Trancebolt; 01-17-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C300 4MATIC
Add me to the bad wrist-pin club. Took it to the dealer and they confirmed the issue. Luckily, there wasn't any cylinder damage; however, it was in the shop for over two weeks. Since coming back, the issue appears to be gone. I was getting wind noise in the cabin too and they replaced the door gaskets, felt stoppers, and even all 4 windows with double-paned glass which was nice. Made them do an oil and coolant change as well. Annoying repair, but glad I got it done early.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 PM

2015 C300 sport
* Got car back from svc today with a very uninspiring explanation and vry little concern for me at all.

Attached repair sheet for those interested.
Sorry about the mess. Hopefully you'll get a stretch of months where everything is trouble-free, which in my case has offset the annoyance of the wrist-pin procedure.

And thanks for sharing the repair sheet.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 PM

2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by SnazzyLabs
Add me to the bad wrist-pin club. Took it to the dealer and they confirmed the issue. Luckily, there wasn't any cylinder damage; however, it was in the shop for over two weeks. Since coming back, the issue appears to be gone. I was getting wind noise in the cabin too and they replaced the door gaskets, felt stoppers, and even all 4 windows with double-paned glass which was nice. Made them do an oil and coolant change as well. Annoying repair, but glad I got it done early.
Great to cover a few major bases in a single repair visit. I've noticed that MB isn't stingy with replacement parts when they know their assembly line didn't meet quality standards, which has made a good impression on me.

My 2015 had the wrist-pin thing but doesn't seem to have the wind noise problem, although I know that's been a common complaint with early W205s. I wonder if build date has anything to do with it. Mine was 4/15.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300
I have the same noise on startup from 2000 to 1200 rpm. I taped the sound on my phone and took my 2015 C300 (build 9/14) in yesterday. The SA responded today that it is indeed the wrist pin problem and will take 1 week to fix. He thinks they have all the parts. I would have not known the issue if I did not read this important information here. Thank you.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 MB C300 4MATIC (W205)
Mercedes has been avoiding fixing the issues as much as possible.
From the first year of my ownership, I brought up this issue and they said the sound is normal due to direct injection of the engine. FINE.

Then I saw this thread...
I brought by car to the dealer yesterday regarding the wrist pin issue. Since it only happens when the car is cold, they hold my car until today and check the sounds
They returned my car this afternoon addressing that the noise was because of the wastegate and they only updated the software.

Then when I drove off from service centre, I noticed that the noise wasn't gone, so I returned to service centre immediately.
The car mechanics came and heard the sound with me, finally confirmed that it was wrist pin issue.

Now, they are finally gotta fix my car
Thx to this thread reminds me to bring my car to the dealer. Mercedes never did any recall about this issue.

Last edited by andylaidb9; 02-07-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by andylaidb9
Mercedes has been avoiding fixing the issues as much as possible.
From the first year of my ownership, I brought up this issue and they said the sound is normal due to direct injection of the engine. FINE.

Then I saw this thread...
I brought by car to the dealer yesterday regarding the wrist pin issue. Since it only happens when the car is cold, they hold my car until today and check the sounds
They returned my car this afternoon addressing that the noise was because of the wastegate and they only updated the software.

Then when I drove off from service centre, I noticed that the noise wasn't gone, so I returned to service centre immediately.
The car mechanics came and heard the sound with me, finally confirmed that it was wrist pin issue.

Now, they are finally gotta fix my car
Thx to this thread reminds me to bring my car to the dealer. Mercedes never did any recall about this issue.
No reason for a recall, it's not safety related. It is an issue that they will fix as it appears, but it will not endanger the occupants or the car so there's no grounds for a recall. Aside from "noise", there has been no problem from this manufacturing fault that I've seen. We did have a new C300 eat an engine at under 2000 miles, it happened to be a loaner we had. Only one and it wasn't necessarily a car that fell within the wristpin grouping. It may have been damaged intentionally, these people really abuse the loaner cars.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 MB C300 4MATIC (W205)
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
No reason for a recall, it's not safety related. It is an issue that they will fix as it appears, but it will not endanger the occupants or the car so there's no grounds for a recall. Aside from "noise", there has been no problem from this manufacturing fault that I've seen. We did have a new C300 eat an engine at under 2000 miles, it happened to be a loaner we had. Only one and it wasn't necessarily a car that fell within the wristpin grouping. It may have been damaged intentionally, these people really abuse the loaner cars.
Maybe it's just me. Everytime I brought up a problem, all I can feel is the passiveness of their attitude, trying to avoid as much as possible.
The wind noise is a similar story, always claim it's normal firstly.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:09 PM

2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
To me, speaking as another wrist-pin victim, it's not a safety issue, it's a brand issue. If "The best or nothing" is anything more than marketing BS, the problem should have been addressed proactively. Seems like an advantage of a non-safety "soft" recall is that it can be phased, based on availability of parts and even typical "slow times" in dealership service shops. MB could have started with the older Cs, packaged the recall as a courtesy effort, and used these clients' visits to the dealership to build awareness of newer models (via loaners or what's on the floor), useful high-margin accessories, and/or the quality of their repairs and customer care. An MB goal for current owners is likely/should be to move them into the mindset of buying the next model up; MB could have used this engineering error to advance that goal and strengthen the brand among their "free" advertisers -- happy owners who feel like MB is taking care of them. Missed opportunity IMO.
The following 3 users liked this post by chicago-guy:
andylaidb9 (02-07-2017), ArtyV (11-27-2022), JBMCL (02-12-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by andylaidb9
Maybe it's just me. Everytime I brought up a problem, all I can feel is the passiveness of their attitude, trying to avoid as much as possible.
The wind noise is a similar story, always claim it's normal firstly.
A lot of customers complain about normal things, so the writers get in the habit of dismissing valid concerns. An educated tech will check bulletins, and see the one for glass replacement, wristpin noise, etc and follow the specific tests to confirm the root cause.

Unfortunately, unless you know someone at the dealership, you are at random luck of getting a normal or a great tech. I would suggest, if you can, having a nice, calm, friendly conversation with the service manager. He can get involved lightly and have the right tech do the right thing to fix your car.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by chicago-guy
To me, speaking as another wrist-pin victim, it's not a safety issue, it's a brand issue. If "The best or nothing" is anything more than marketing BS, the problem should have been addressed proactively. Seems like an advantage of a non-safety "soft" recall is that it can be phased, based on availability of parts and even typical "slow times" in dealership service shops. MB could have started with the older Cs, packaged the recall as a courtesy effort, and used these clients' visits to the dealership to build awareness of newer models (via loaners or what's on the floor), useful high-margin accessories, and/or the quality of their repairs and customer care. An MB goal for current owners is likely/should be to move them into the mindset of buying the next model up; MB could have used this engineering error to advance that goal and strengthen the brand among their "free" advertisers -- happy owners who feel like MB is taking care of them. Missed opportunity IMO.
The reality is, it's a VERY small amount of cars. For them to repair potentially tens of thousands of cars "proactively", would be worse. Many customers would not have the issue, but might get a recall notice, and think "ok, my engine is defective? what a terrible car". For the few people who have an issue, they fix it. Is it inconvenient? Yes. Any more so than a new car having, say, an evaporator failure that requires removing the dash and several days in the shop? I don't think so. Still less intrusive than your new car not having air conditioning.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
I think whether your car gets fixed properly has a lot to do with your dealer and your SA. I have one of my cars currently in for service. I had a complaint of some suspension noise that the tech could not hear. Instead of blowing me off, my SA called me and had me come in and go out with the tech so I could show her what I was hearing so that the problem could be fixed properly. If you are having problems with your service department talk to the manager or use another dealer.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
My experience with car dealerships is overwhelmingly negative with the exception being Mercedes. The dealership I use always listens and makes it known that they really try to fix issues. They go above and beyond every time. Cars have problems - all makes, all models - I don't really understand the paranoia around the forum. If the car is fixed, take it as it is fixed and enjoy the car.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Amazing: my selling dealer could care less.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:12 PM

Not a safety issue? Are you kidding me?

The damn engine WILL be replaced if this has gone on for more than 15000 miles. It is destroying the cylinder walls and literally fcking up other critical very delicate parts in the engine. My fuel INJECTOR seals were bad not long after doing the engine rebuild. Mine was only at 8k; everyone in here with 20~k had a re-place-ment...

If my car can literally break down, or cause my engine to turn into a pile of shreds, that is a safety risk. From what i am understanding, every 2015 year C300 has this issue.

It is very likely, just like some members here who didnt notice untli 25k, that the dealer WONT find this doing 'CPO checks' and people can go on driving until possibly 30-40? maybe out of warranty? before they find it.... then get the warranty denial bull****. Pretty massive issue.

Last edited by Trancebolt; 02-10-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
I think whether your car gets fixed properly has a lot to do with your dealer and your SA. ...
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
My experience with car dealerships is overwhelmingly negative with the exception being Mercedes. The dealership I use always listens and makes it known that they really try to fix issues. They go above and beyond every time. ...
Originally Posted by CFG
Amazing: my selling dealer could care less.
Well, CFG, now you know. Not all MB dealers are the same. This knowledge about the experience of other owners is the greatest benefit of customer forums like this.

My dealership initiated the wrist pin repair ON THEIR OWN MOTION! I had taken my C300 in over the wind noise issue. The shop foreman took it out on a nearby interstate, with me as passenger. He readily agreed about the wind noise issue, but also heard the wrist pin noise. I had been hearing it when the engine was cold, but I did not know what it was. He heard it when the engine was fully warmed up. I could not hear it at all when he identified it.)

Try expressing your displeasure to the salesman who sold you your car or to the SALES manager! Maybe you'll touch off a civil war in the dealership! If not satisfied, you can try DealerRater.com, Yelp.com, or other online review/rating service to find a better dealer in your area. As always on the Internet, beware of sockpuppets who work for the dealer you are considering and trolls who work for competitors.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Former Member

CLS
Who said they are all the same?
Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Originally Posted by CFG
Who said they are all the same?
Sorry, I didn't mean to be sarcastic or mock you.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Former Member

CLS
Great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: new C300 with Engine noise