C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Aargh! Choices:Comand Online or some other stuff?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C350e
Aargh! Choices:Comand Online or some other stuff?

ok..due to some issues the order for my company car still is on hold. As far as I can guess within two weeks the car will be ordered.

And now i'm still doubting for the Comand online option.

It is for an already very loaded C350E Plugin Hybrid Lease edition which comes with:
Metallic Color (Citrine(Dakota) Brown)
Avantgarde Exterior (or exclusive; too bad AMG is not an option)
Exclusive Interior (or avantgarde) (beige/brown)
Airmatic
Agility Select
Heated seats
Split folding rear seats
HD Radio
preheat
Thermatic
Keyless-Go
Parktronic with active parking assistant
Intelligent LED
Mirror package (dimming and automatic foldable side mirrors)
Audio 20 CD with Touchpad
Garmin Map Pilot

On top of those I'm ordering:
Driver Assistance Package
Leather interior (exclusive)
Burmester Soundsystem

And then the problem begins...Should I also add Comand online ($2.500,-!!) to this list? That just tops the budget I have for the car. This is now on the order that is on hold.

Or should I choose a few minor options like
Tinted (dark) Windows ($500,-)
360 camera ($400,-)
Easy Pack ($500,-) (remote opening trunk)
Ash Wood ($250,-)
Multicolor LED Ambient lightning ($275)

*rounded prices Euro's (Dutch prices) to US Dollars.

I'm still doubting Comand online. What are the advantages of Comand online?
+ Better Faster Navigation (is it really better?)
+ Better/Bigger screen (not a dealbreaker)
+ Traffic Sign recognition (I really like this)
+ Live traffic information (when it works I would really like this)
+ Linguatronic (would like this if works ok in Dutch)

+ HDD (not a dealbreaker)
+ Mercedes Apps (not interesting)
+ Internet Browser (not interesting)
+ WLAN Hotspot (not interesting)

I do want to be able to use Apple Carplay. Will both systems support that do you think?

Most important reason for an option is that it makes driving/using the car more relaxing. HUD is only fully usable in combination with Comand Online, right?

What to do? Stick with current config of trade in Comand online for the other options?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S205 C200 Sport
Originally Posted by RCHW
What to do? Stick with current config of trade in Comand online for the other options?
Personally if I was in your position, I wouldn't bother with Comand online. Not for that kind of money. In the UK it comes as part of the Premium Plus pack which is why I got it. I wouldn't have spent that amount on it individually.

Pros
- Bigger screen. Border on the standard nav looks quite chunky but I'm sure you'll get used to it.
- Better CPU. It's very quick to render, calculate routes and zoom.
- Live traffic. In the UK it uses TomTom live traffic (the best aside from Google Maps perhaps)

Cons
- The Satnav maps are average IMHO. I don't have first hand experience of the Garmin but haven't heard anyone say much bad about it.
- Personally, I could think of better things to do with £2,500!

Some other comments.
- Not sure about Netherlands, but in the UK Traffic Sign recognition comes with the Driver Assistance Package (not with Comand Online)
- The black ash looks amazing and I would strongly recommend it (in the UK you can only get it on AMG line trim). The black gloss will drive you crazy with dust, fingerprints/grease and scratches.
- Ambient lighting looks 'wow' the first few times then the novelty wears off pretty quickly. I think passengers will appreciate it more than the driver!
- 360 cam is as rare rocking horse manure. Looks very useful but haven't used it myself. Specifying it might extend your delivery date to 2017
- Easy Pack (standard in the UK) is really handy on an estate. I like being able to open the tailgate as I approach the car. 'kicking' open is also useful if you're holding shopping/kids. Boot/trunk is very light on a saloon/sedan I would imagine so probably not so useful.
- Tinted windows is personal preference. Seems every car comes with it now (Toyota Aygo and Ford Fiesta!)
- MB Apps/Web browser/WLAN hotspot (more like a notspot) are useless.
- In the UK, HUD can be specified independent of Comand Online. It's quite pricey over here though - I specced the driver assistance instead.
- I would doublecheck if linguatronic is standard for NL?

Whatever you go for, looks like you've got a nice set of wheels on the way.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Traffic sign recognition is part of COMAND online.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
On balance, I would probably swap it out for the other options. However, if you are really keen on the Traffic Sign Assist, then you will have to stick with Comand Online.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S205 C200 Sport
Thanks for pointing that out.

I've found the traffic sign recognition a bit hit and miss. It often picks up lower speed limits for side road and also shows the 'no overtaking' sign a lot (despite my driving in an urban area with no such signs!)
Old 03-28-2015, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 BlueTEC Estate #s205
I made the effort to add Command Online and I am very happy with it.
If you choose the LED Intelligent Light System, don't forget to add Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus, it's very convenient.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:27 AM

C350e
Thx All!

I'm now again more leaning towards the Comand System. Besides the outrageous price.
Mostly because of my last statement. An option should make driving the car more convenient.
Privacy Glass, Ambient Lightning and Ash Wood don't add up to that.

The 360 camera option could be useful, but I;m not taking the risk of not getting the car in 2015. When we order now the car will be delivered in October 2015. So i'm urging the General Manager to act on this. (delivery in 2016 costs me an extra $250,- a month for the next 4 years)

So the only thing I might regret is not having the Easy Pack.

My current temporary Audi has really crappy Navigation (I really don't get all the fuzz about the magnificent Audi dashboards). So that's important for me.

Comand it is! (well...today then...lol)
Old 03-28-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Decision made then.... Good luck - I would stop thinking about it too much now, otherwise you'll persuade yourself differently!
Old 03-28-2015, 03:41 PM

C350e
You are right. But can't get it out of my head lol. Always nice to put together a new car. Gives almost more stress then my actual job

The company policies changed. First I had it all on the list... But I'm not allowed to lease the car more than 4 years. So I had to loose a few options.

In dollars my C350e costs about $75.000,-(!!)

I Can't even top that with a fully loaded C400 in the USA

But then again: The C350 is faster than the C400.

I hope I can get the order to the leasing company by the end of the week!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220d Avantgarde
I had the same problem with my company. The lease company was overcharging (+ €200 a month ), my company did not want to extend my max lease fee.. After a while (a month) I had it and opted for a C220 instead. It will cost me €60 more a month. At least the interior will be better looking (Custom leather Designo in Sattel brown) and it will go for over 650 miles on a tank.

About the command system. The only real advantage is the bigger and better looking screen. And maybe that the fact that command system uses the cars sensors (Gyro, distance) for more accurate positioning . I'm not sure the Garmin does that too.