C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Has anyone used the emergency key on the door?

Old 05-01-2015, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Has anyone used the emergency key on the door?

Had my first no response with Keyless Go today. It wouldn't unlock the door, even after pushing the unlock button on the fob. I waited about 2 minutes, it reset itself, and all was normal again. So, I thought this might be a good time to review the emergency key unlock routine.

The digital manual shows a small slit on the side of the door handle, and you're supposed to insert the tip of the emergency key and move the cover to reveal the key slot under it. On my car, that slit is under the handle. I inserted the tip of the key, tried turning it, and nothing would move at all. I did not want to force it, but I saw almost no movement of the portion of the handle that the slit was on. The key slot under the trunk lid works fine, but that of course doesn't unlock the door.

Has anyone figured out how this is supposed to work?
Old 05-01-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C400
Apologies for the silly question, but are you sure you don't have that slit to the right of the handle? It looks like a fake key hole. I can't imagine MB would go through the trouble of making multiple key holes for the same car model.

But it's as you described. You put the key tip from the fob into it and turn. Turn it a complete 360 and the cap will come off to display the actual key hole (I'd be prepared to catch it).

And if the manual is correct you can expect the alarm to go off until he key is in the ignition.

If pictures help let me know.

Last edited by kenya; 05-01-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kenya
Apologies for the silly question, but are you sure you don't have that slit to the right of the handle? It looks like a fake key hole. I can't imagine MB would go through the trouble of making multiple key holes for the same car model.

But it's as you described. You put the key tip from the fob into it and turn. Turn it a complete 360 and the cap will come off to display the actual key hole (I'd be prepared to catch it).

And if the manual is correct you can expect the alarm to go off until he key is in the ignition.

If pictures help let me know.
Yes, it is on the cap which is to the right of the door handle. It does not, however, face out like the picture in the manual. It is under the cap, facing down which, according to the manual, is how the non-Keyless Go key is set up. Inserting the tip of the emergency key and turning it is supposed to release the cover. I can't turn the key or remove that cap. I wonder if they installed the wrong door handle cover?
Old 05-01-2015, 05:47 PM

2015 C400
Maybe a picture would be helpful. i have the keyless go and this is what mine looks like. If yours doesn't look like this then I think someone has some explaining to do.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone used the emergency key on the door?-door-handle-cover-.jpg  
Old 05-01-2015, 05:53 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Yes. I do not have keyless-go though, When I picked up my car - my delivery concierge took me through the process and demonstrated the use of the emergency key. Also showed me how to pull the keyless start button and (heres the duh! part ... showed me how to insert the large key and turn it)
Old 05-01-2015, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe a picture would be helpful. i have the keyless go and this is what mine looks like. If yours doesn't look like this then I think someone has some explaining to do.

That's what the one on my last C300 looked like, but the one on my new C300 has the slot under the handle. There's an illustration of it on page 89 of the online owner's manual, but it's listed as the one used with non-Keyless Go. Either way, it doesn't seem to work.

I'm wondering if they put the wrong handle on the car, or if newer production cars are all using one key slot style now. I emailed MB-USA and am waiting for a response.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
I haven't tried my emergency key. But this is what my keyless go handle looks like

Has anyone used the emergency key on the door?-image.jpg1_zpsqe4rco6n.jpg
Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C200 Sport Premium Plus. October 2018. 1497cc with 48 volt battery eq

Old 05-01-2015, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CO2010
I haven't tried my emergency key. But this is what my keyless go handle looks like

That's exactly what mine looks like, so I guess this is a later production change. Apparently, both Keyless Go and non-Keyless Go now share the same handle and emergency key access.

If you don't mind trying yours, I'd be curious as to whether or not you can get that cover off. I was afraid to apply much force.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Merlin1

I have those instructions, and it didn't work for me. The key goes in the slot, but I can't get the cap to pull off from the handle. I have tried it with holding the door handle out and without holding the handle out ... results are the same.

I may just leave this for my first service visit and let the dealer demonstrate how it does, or does not, work.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH
That's exactly what mine looks like, so I guess this is a later production change. Apparently, both Keyless Go and non-Keyless Go now share the same handle and emergency key access.

If you don't mind trying yours, I'd be curious as to whether or not you can get that cover off. I was afraid to apply much force.
I just tried several times and for my life I also cannot get the cap off. Tried all different angles. It should not be this difficult. I'm sure if I risk cracking it I can get it off.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just tried several times and for my life I also cannot get the cap off. Tried all different angles. It should not be this difficult. I'm sure if I risk cracking it I can get it off.
I feel better now.

This really should be a simple thing to do, especially since you may wind up having to do it in the dark if your fob isn't working right. You shouldn't need a crowbar to force that cap off.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:50 PM

I feel better now.

This really should be a simple thing to do, especially since you may wind up having to do it in the dark if your fob isn't working right. You shouldn't need a crowbar to force that cap off.
Trust me, in an emergency situation that covers coming off!
Old 05-01-2015, 09:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
On my Jan '15 build, the slot is on the side (same as locking indentation). I used the emergency key, and after one half turn the little button cover can be pulled off exposing the key slot. I didn't insert the key, as I didn't want to startle the cat sleeping in the garage.

From those photos/manual instructions it seems MB made this more difficult in the newer vehicle.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:49 AM

W205 C200 Sport Premium Plus. October 2018. 1497cc with 48 volt battery eq
Just looked at mine nothing like the photos I posted previously, I have keyless entry, there is a slot on the face of handle just put emergency key in and turn ie no cover to remove.

Last edited by Merlin1; 05-02-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very weird, indeed, All the US cars have the emergency key access covered by a cap which must be removed by inserting the tip of the emergency key. There are two different styles of release slots ... one on the side of the handle and the other under it. It seems the latest production now have the slot under the handle. These caps don't seem easy to remove. In the US, there is no reference to any direct access to the emergency key slot. Now, I am totally confused.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
Went and took a look at what I have this morning...I have Keyless Go btw on and October '14 build.

I emergency key worked without any issues and it was super easy to get to and unlock. However, now that little plastic piece I removed won't stay in...I blame you guys!
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone used the emergency key on the door?-img_3302.jpg   Has anyone used the emergency key on the door?-img_3304.jpg   Has anyone used the emergency key on the door?-img_3303.jpg  
Old 05-02-2015, 09:27 AM

2015 C400
Originally Posted by chicagofan00
Went and took a look at what I have this morning...I have Keyless Go btw on and October '14 build.

I emergency key worked without any issues and it was super easy to get to and unlock. However, now that little plastic piece I removed won't stay in...I blame you guys!
Mine screwed back in, but it was a little tricky balancing holding the small part in place while trying to screw it back in with the key.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:10 AM

W205 AMG Auto Saloon-Prem Plus-Privacy Glass

I'm in the UK

Just went out check my handle and it the same as in this pic. What model do you have? Merlin
Old 05-02-2015, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by S18LOK
I'm in the UK

Just went out check my handle and it the same as in this pic. What model do you have? Merlin
CO2010 and I have the same style handle, which is not the same as others have. This style was originally described as the one that goes with the non-Keyless Go setup, but both of us have Keyless Go and we have this style. It will not allow the full insertion of the key. Supposedly, you insert the key tip, pull the door handle open and hold it, then pull the cap straight out. My door handle cap will not move, even with quite a bit of pressure, so I have no access to the emergency key slot hidden under that cap.

This would only be needed if you can't get into the car with the fob, but it's nice to know it works if you need it. I guess, if needed, one could always pop the trunk using the emergency key slot under the lid, and then release the folding rear seats and get into the car that way.

My car is a late March, 2015 US build. I think the change in the door cap must be very recent since January builds still have the outside style.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:10 PM

2015 C400
CO2010 and I have the same style handle, which is not the same as others have. This style was originally described as the one that goes with the non-Keyless Go setup, but both of us have Keyless Go and we have this style. It will not allow the full insertion of the key. Supposedly, you insert the key tip, pull the door handle open and hold it, then pull the cap straight out. My door handle cap will not move, even with quite a bit of pressure, so I have no access to the emergency key slot hidden under that cap.

This would only be needed if you can't get into the car with the fob, but it's nice to know it works if you need it. I guess, if needed, one could always pop the trunk using the emergency key slot under the lid, and then release the folding rear seats and get into the car that way.

My car is a late March, 2015 US build. I think the change in the door cap must be very recent since January builds still have the outside style.
If you have a smart phone you can use iPhone/android app to unlock the door. The car itself still won't recognize the key so push to start will not work, you'll need to put it into the ignition.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you have a smart phone you can use iPhone/android app to unlock the door. The car itself still won't recognize the key so push to start will not work, you'll need to put it into the ignition.
I've tested the app and it works very well for locking and unlocking. Interestingly, on my first C300, the Locate function never worked, but with the new car it always works.

Also, with the old C300 I used the manual ignition several times. With the one incident on the new car, after a minute or so the doors unlocked and the push to start worked fine.

There really doesn't seem to be much logic here.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:22 PM

Success! I was determined to get this cap off today. You have to insert the emergency key all the way in. Instructions say to pull the cap off straight out, yeah that's not gonna happen. You will have to put some force into it but it does eventually come off. Door opens right away with the emergency key. Afterwards, the cap just snaps right back in.

Has anyone used the emergency key on the door?-image.jpg1_zpsmvd7avkf.jpg
Has anyone used the emergency key on the door?-image.jpg2_zpsse5ctgs5.jpg
Has anyone used the emergency key on the door?-image.jpg3_zpsgbngjn7d.jpg
Old 05-02-2015, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Success! I was determined to get this cap off today. You have to insert the emergency key all the way in. Instructions say to pull the cap off straight out, yeah that's not gonna happen. You will have to put some force into it but it does eventually come off. Door opens right away with the emergency key. Afterwards, the cap just snaps right back in.
Congratulations!

I'll try it tomorrow. My manual says to only insert the tip of the key, which obviously is wrong. I'll bring a sledgehammer along just in case ...
Old 05-02-2015, 02:13 PM

Congratulations!

I'll try it tomorrow. My manual says to only insert the tip of the key, which obviously is wrong. I'll bring a sledgehammer along just in case ...
Lol, I tried just inserting the tip but that didn't work. If you look at the last pic of the cap it looks like you just have to unlock that first tab so maybe inserting just the tip would work. Good luck

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the emergency key on the door?