C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

What you think: Screen design

Old 05-24-2015, 08:47 PM
XPS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Golf
What you think: Screen design

One thing I don't like about the c-class is the display. It looks out of place and IMO kind of lower quality.

I would suggest they put a glass over the screen and have metal borders - even better, be able to retract it into the dashboard.

The example I have is a Sony tv which has a glass over the screen and is coated so that there are no reflections or it seems semi-matte. It also has real aluminium around it. Really nice and clean borders.

What do you guys think? Hoping they update this design soon.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Mine has glass over the entire screen. Or are you talking about the basic screen with a plastic bezel?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:19 AM
RTX

2015, W205, C 220 BlueTEC AMG Line
The one I have is edge-to-edge glass already.

Some future design topics:
- Make it detachable (removable): Take it to office/home.
- Add network & touch.

In a nutshell: Replace it with a tablet (with modern/mainstream OS) that can be fully integrated with the car.

Note: I don't mind if this tablet is branded MB (they don't need to invent it). All luxury brands do this already.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I would think for safety reasons MB would not want the screen surrounded by sharp angled metal...especially in a crash situation. I would also think "safety" is the reasoning behind why MB decided not to go with a detachable tablet design either.

What bothers me the most with the screen is the thick boarder surrounding the screen. I feel if the boarder matched the size of the actual screen, it would look less intrusive.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:01 PM
XPS

Golf
Oops, ok I didn't realize the nav package had a glass over the screen.

I also agree with MASS, I don't think a detachable screen would be a good idea since people could break in and steal the screen.

I think the bezel is also the biggest flaw since it takes a huge amount of space and makes the screen look smaller. I just don't understand why their bezel is so thick.

There are phones and televisions that have bezels that are a few millimeters thick and it really does make the screen look a bit more attractive. Like this for instance: