C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Red leather seat wear staining

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C class w205
Red leather seat wear staining

Hi

I have the cranberry red leather (UK spec AMG Line) seats and I have noticed that the side of the seat where I enter /exit the car from has become shiney and darkened from my thigh rubbing against the leather as I get out of the car. Im wondering if others have found this and if there is anything that can be done to fix or protect against this please?

It looks like a blemish on a new car interior and I have only driven 4000 miles.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2015, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Sorry to hear about your seats.

Stories like these make me stick to black when it comes to interior seating colors.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:01 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
wear and tear Sir........unless you can remove your thigh
Old 07-03-2015, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350 BTC & C300
Leather cleaner will remove most of and and conditioner will help prevent it.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I use Griot's leather cleaner/conditioner and have found it does a very good job in removing dirt and keeping the leather soft. There are other excellent products on the market as well.

All lighter color leathers will show dirt, so you will have to maintain it if you want it to look good over time. Like MASSC300, I went with black leather on this car just for the ease of maintenance.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C class w205
Thank you all for your responses....the one about removing my thigh made me chuckle!

I used to own a used Alfa Romeo with red leather and i didnt have the same issue. Although that leather seemed more shinier and harder overall. Perhaps the Cs leather needs cleaning and conditioning as suggested.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kozzyh
Thank you all for your responses....the one about removing my thigh made me chuckle!

I used to own a used Alfa Romeo with red leather and i didnt have the same issue. Although that leather seemed more shinier and harder overall. Perhaps the Cs leather needs cleaning and conditioning as suggested.
My last Corvette had red leather seats and, after a while, they showed dark stains from the dye in my jeans. It looked terrible but, after using some commercial leather treatment, all the stains came out. My current Porsche has very light grey leather seats ... they get cleaned every month.

The dye used in pants, particularly jeans, can leave stains on leather seats ... and that is the most common cause of staining. Driving without pants is typically not a viable option ... and that can create other stains as well.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:15 AM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by StanNH
My last Corvette had red leather seats and, after a while, they showed dark stains from the dye in my jeans. It looked terrible but, after using some commercial leather treatment, all the stains came out. My current Porsche has very light grey leather seats ... they get cleaned every month.

The dye used in pants, particularly jeans, can leave stains on leather seats ... and that is the most common cause of staining. Driving without pants is typically not a viable option ... and that can create other stains as well.
^^This. Demin blue definitely wears off.

I imagine you can get 303 Aerospace protectant over there, if not mail order it from here - apply to the wear area. It's not real slick and can actually be applied to the whole seat, but better suited for vinyl, plastic, and rubber. Would definitely help in your wear spot though.

I just saw a loaded C at the dealer with those seats and thought they were really nice.

A lot of folks over here are getting away from leather as the synthetic materials have surpassed it in durability. Fabric is still more comfortable than any of them but has never been very popular in the euro cars. I'm always mildly surprised when the guys want fabric instead of leather in their trucks. It just wears a lot better and easier to maintain.

We are starting to see quite a bit of microfiber type inserts. Feel and look great, looks like suede - ala CLA 421 sport package and AMG45.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/303-products
BTW, use this for your tires, dash, rubber and vinyl trim, any plastic type material. "SPF40 for your stuff". Litterally kicks armorall to the curb.

Last edited by CJBROWN; 07-03-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I have the crystal grey.. imagine that. On its first day I protected it with a leather sealant from GYEON. This means the moment it gets a little dirty, I just wipe it over and its lovely and clean again.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:12 AM
XPS

Golf

Yeah.... I'd rather take blue dye than brown stains
Old 07-05-2015, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
If all else fails try some red coloured rejuvenating shoe polish. Make sure you polish it off before entering with white slacks !!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205
I was going to start a new thread about general care of the leather interior, but thought that I would just piggyback off of this one.

Is it known whether or not the leather on the W205 is already coated with a protective layer? I've read that leather cleaners/conditioners could actually break down the protective layer and make the leather wear faster (it was on the internet, so it must be true, right?). I certainly plan to take good care of the interior and leather, but want to go about it the right way. I'm just not sure if the best way is through some of the products out there (e.g., Griots, Leatherique, Zaino Z-10) or just a periodic wipe down with a damp cloth.

In my previous vehicles, whenever the leather started to wear and tear or show signs of cracking, I immediately just thought that I didn't condition them as diligently as I should have. This was before I realized that many leather interiors (particularly models in a lower end of the range) have protective coatings applied.

FYI - I do have the light crystal grey interior and I do have the blue denim seat bottom
I also have the ventilated seats.. not sure if that makes any slight difference in the leather or coatings used.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:43 AM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
I believe I can share some insight on this, as I follow the high fashion industry very closely, where delicate and exquisite leather garments are commonplace.

Lighter colour leathers will always get stained easily. This is just the nature of leather. Get a pair of white leather sneakers and you'll quickly see black marks around the opening from your dark pants.

@jclboston: Improper usage or poor quality leather conditioner may damage leather, but as long as you are using a reputable cleaner and conditioner, I don't expect any damage. However, what you are doing (wiping with a damp cloth) is not the best method. Leather is still skin, it needs oil to keep it moisturised or it will dry out. Have you ever noticed how dry your skin feels after washing it with soap? Same situation for leather, except it cannot produce its own oil unlike your skin. That is the conditioner's purpose.

In fact, many people who own genuine leather jackets don't realize that leather jackets are NOT considered waterproof, and definitely should not be worn out in the rain. Yes, it will probably stop all the water from soaking you, but the jacket will suffer for it.

TLDR: Lighter colour leathers will always stain, condition your leather after cleaning, water will dry out leather without conditioning
Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,060 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by kozzyh
Hi

I have the cranberry red leather (UK spec AMG Line) seats and I have noticed that the side of the seat where I enter /exit the car from has become shiney and darkened from my thigh rubbing against the leather as I get out of the car. Im wondering if others have found this and if there is anything that can be done to fix or protect against this please?

It looks like a blemish on a new car interior and I have only driven 4000 miles.

Thanks
Unfortunately thats part and parcel of leather seats particularly with colors, like red, that highlight the inevitable wear. Products are generally are useless and make the seats more slippery. The best thing to do is to keep them clean and if dirty use a mild soap like saddle soap.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c4004matic
The best thing to do is to keep them clean and if dirty use a mild soap like saddle soap.
There are numerous articles out there that specifically warn against the use of saddle soap on leather car seats. All mention the drying affect saddle soap has on the leather.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,060 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
There are numerous articles out there that specifically warn against the use of saddle soap on leather car seats. All mention the drying affect saddle soap has on the leather.
Or any other mild soap... In general you should leave the seats alone. Vacuum and damp wipe is more than enough.