C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Wheel & Tire Warranties

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 4MATIC
Question Wheel & Tire Warranties

I accepted my new C300 4MATIC yesterday. It has the std. 17" wheels and 225/50R17 tires. I don't actually have it, dealer is getting plates etc., and will pick up Monday.

I ended up signing up for the wheel & tire warranty. But now I am wondering if that makes sense. My general rule is that if you can tolerate the hight end of the variance (which I generally can for something this size) insurance is a bad deal. OTOH I have gone through quite a few tires (but not wheels) on my current car (read, I have a distressing tendency to scrape curbs - generally taking turns too tight coming out of parking lots)

What should I be looking for in the terms? For people who have gotten them, are you general glad you did? As noted above I have a 4MATIC, does the increased need to have tiers with similar wear make a tire warranty more or less valuable?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2015, 10:55 AM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by pdp8
I accepted my new C300 4MATIC yesterday. It has the std. 17" wheels and 225/50R17 tires. I don't actually have it, dealer is getting plates etc., and will pick up Monday.

I ended up signing up for the wheel & tire warranty. But now I am wondering if that makes sense. My general rule is that if you can tolerate the hight end of the variance (which I generally can for something this size) insurance is a bad deal. OTOH I have gone through quite a few tires (but not wheels) on my current car (read, I have a distressing tendency to scrape curbs - generally taking turns too tight coming out of parking lots)

What should I be looking for in the terms? For people who have gotten them, are you general glad you did? As noted above I have a 4MATIC, does the increased need to have tiers with similar wear make a tire warranty more or less valuable?

Thanks
I have the standard 18" wheels. I went with T&W insurance because of:

i) The replacement cost of a wheel. Keep in mind, unless you crack a rim (or it can no longer hold air), most will attempt to buff out and refinish curb rash.

ii) A number of colleagues with the lower profile (RFTs and 19 and 20") have gone through wheel after wheel on their Mercedes and BMWs. The roads in the NY/NJ metro area are terrible -- especially in the winter and spring.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:36 AM

2015 C400
Read the policy carefully, the one sold to me specifically does not cover curb rash, it is only for wheel / tire damage as a result of "road debris".
Old 07-25-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C300
I also live in NYC. because the roads are pot-hole heaven, I wouldn't consider low profile tires. The 17" tires on my W205 extend out so scrapping the curb would contact the tire not the wheel. I have fallen in pot-holes without damage (so far) that probably would have damaged low profile wheels and tires.
Since a run-flat tire that has been run on will need replacing I understand (assuming the insurance covers flat tire replacement) why you are thinking about insurance. If a tire cost $300.00 how many flats will it take to pay for the insurance?
CliffordS