C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Getting Acoustic Glass & Wind Noise Confirmed by MBUSA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Getting Acoustic Glass & Wind Noise Confirmed by MBUSA

An update for wind noise issue.

I am getting the acoustic glasses from a local dealer.

MBUSA confirmed the wind noise exists and currently there's no fix - I was told by two dealerships.

I drove with a foreman and he said "sorry, I do not hear anything" even after we switched driver and passenger seat.

The other foreman identified the wind noise and invited MBUSA to test drive with him. (the issue statement says "case opened and handed off to FTS for an onsite visit", im wondering if FTS means Fc ths sh*t?) Yes, they opened a case with MBUSA and the tech support from MBUSA provided the dealership part numbers on front side glasses - later confirmed they were the ACOUSTIC GLASSES shipped from Germany. Although they said those were to LESSEN the noise not to eliminate, I was really happy at the time because I knew it was hard to get those glasses, while I got them for free and not a single phone call between me and MBUSA. My dealership went through those for me.

I will post an update after I replace with acoustic windows. It's in back order now. Expect first week Sep.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by arnold0523

MBUSA confirmed the wind noise exists and currently there's no fix - I was told by two dealerships.

I drove with a foreman and he said "sorry, I do not hear anything" even after we switched driver and passenger seat.

The other foreman identified the wind noise and invited MBUSA to test drive with him. (the issue statement says "case opened and handed off to FTS for an onsite visit", im wondering if FTS means Fc ths sh*t?) Yes, they opened a case with MBUSA and the tech support from MBUSA provided the dealership part numbers on front side glasses - later confirmed they were the ACOUSTIC GLASSES shipped from Germany. Although they said those were to LESSEN the noise not to eliminate, I was really happy at the time because I knew it was hard to get those glasses, while I got them for free and not a single phone call between me and MBUSA. My dealership went through those for me.

I will post an update after I replace with acoustic windows. It's in back order now. Expect first week Sep.
Nice one. I've mentioned this to my dealer in the UK. They admit there is wind noise but it's not bad noise and after re-sealing my mirror seals, door seals and trim it seems reduced in severity. I'm still going to pursue the acoustic glass if I can as I still feel there is more noise than I'd expect from a car costing three times my partners car that has no such noise at the same speeds and weather conditions.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Nice one. I've mentioned this to my dealer in the UK. They admit there is wind noise but it's not bad noise and after re-sealing my mirror seals, door seals and trim it seems reduced in severity. I'm still going to pursue the acoustic glass if I can as I still feel there is more noise than I'd expect from a car costing three times my partners car that has no such noise at the same speeds and weather conditions.
I asked my dealer to redo the seals and windows runs, but they did not do it... they said seals were fine. I will still ask them to change out again after they replace the windows.

I have got rattles from front windows as well - either the seal not aligned or need lubricant. I think probably later case, since my front windows were up slower than rear windows. It wasn't the case when the vehicle was delivered 3 months ago.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD

Great news. Please keep us posted!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
BMW M4 Conv
I have to say that this is one of the most bizarre issues that I've ever known about in any car.

When it was first introduced last year, I test drove a C400. For many reasons, that car wasn't right for me, and even if it had been, the wind noise on the test drive would have been a complete deal breaker. And that was well before I ever logged onto this site and read about the issue from sooooo many others. Well I've kept track of the C's progress and will test a C450 when they're available. But earlier this month I rented a C300 for a week vacation around northern California. The rental was SILENT.

So I just don't get it. If wind noise is a design flaw, why does it not happen in all cars?? How can it only happen in some cars?? And I'll assure anyone who does not have the problem - if you had it, you'd know it. It's NOT subtle. Crazy, crazy problem.

Last edited by hinckley; 08-31-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by hinckley
I have to say that this is one of the most bizarre issues that I've ever known about in any car.

When it was first introduced last year, I test drove a C400. For many reasons, that car wasn't right for me, and even if it had been, the wind noise on the test drive would have been a complete deal breaker. And that was well before I ever logged onto this site and read about the issue from sooooo many others. Well I've kept track of the C's progress and will test a C450 when they're available. But earlier this month I rented a C300 for a week vacation around northern California. The rental was SILENT.

So I just don't get it. If wind noise is a design flaw, why does it not happen in all cars?? How can it only happen in some cars?? And I'll assure anyone who does not have the problem - if you had it, you'd know it. It's NOT subtle. Crazy, crazy problem.
There are many on this board, including myself, who have reported no wind noise issues with their cars. Some have it, some don't. There are no apparent differences in the seals, so why this happens is still somewhat of a mystery.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY16 C300
I just picked up my car tonight (MY 2016). Took it to 130 km/hr. No wind noise, even with the radio off. What a relief!
Old 08-31-2015, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Steve71
I just picked up my car tonight (MY 2016). Took it to 130 km/hr. No wind noise, even with the radio off. What a relief!
Congrats! I'm jealous as mine won't even go into production for another 3 weeks. Hopefully, I'll be getting one without any wind noise too.

Please make sure you post pics. Drive in happiness and the greatest of health!
Old 08-31-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by hinckley

Some of the cars are quieter than others, some take time to develop the leak.

Though same on the board take HUGE offense to it, but shouldn't, some just don't hear it. Not saying every car is affected. I've never been in one that was quiet in a crosswind without modification, and have been in a couple dozen C300/C400. Mine all out of USA. Mine was VERY loud before I had acoustic glass and new seals, and had many passengers of a wide range of ages say they didn't hear it, and some did. My neighbors daughter said it was 'super quiet', and her mom in the car at the same time said 'the loudest wind noise of any car she had been in". Strange. I agreed with the noise being too loud, like door or window cracked open just slightly. The service advisor was 25, seemed great hearing, couldn't hear it. Changed the glass and seals, to me went from horrible to very good, at least 3X quieter, he said 'I honestly hear absolutely nothing different'. Who knows. I'm happier with it now.

Last edited by HelenR; 08-31-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
BMW M4 Conv
Originally Posted by HelenR
Strange. I agreed with the noise being too loud, like door or window cracked open just slightly.

That's exactly how the C400 sounded to me. I was sure that the door, a window or the sunroof was cracked open.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:18 AM

2017 C43 Sedan
Car in the shop now

I dropped off the car a few minutes ago. they will replace the acoustic glass. I asked them to replace or even redo the windows runs and door seals (I doubt they will do it though).

My car has rattle from windows as well (during fully closed) - check window rattle thread for this issue. See if they do anything for that.

Expect to take the vehicle back tomorrow. I will post an update as soon as I get the vehicle back.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C300
I have about 400 miles on my MY16 C300 and there is definitely wind noise now. I tested the first day when there was 9 miles and at 85mph+ it was quiet. Now beyond 65 I can hear it and at 75+ it is obvious.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I dropped off the car a few minutes ago. they will replace the acoustic glass. I asked them to replace or even redo the windows runs and door seals (I doubt they will do it though).

My car has rattle from windows as well (during fully closed) - check window rattle thread for this issue. See if they do anything for that.

Expect to take the vehicle back tomorrow. I will post an update as soon as I get the vehicle back.
Any news?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 VW Touareg, '15 Harley Ultra Limited, '15 C300 Spt, '14 Airstream Interstate, '16 VW Tiguan
I just visited my dealer for the 2nd time to see if anything could be done about the wind noise. I discussed acoustic glass and they claim their feedback from Mercedes was that there is no approved acoustic glass available but they were "looking in to it". They left my dealer with the impression that they have not had acoustic glass available, in Germany or anywhere else. Kind of flies in the face of what I'm learning on this forum. I'm now more frustrated than ever and wishing I had never purchased this otherwise fine car.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by c21bill
I just visited my dealer for the 2nd time to see if anything could be done about the wind noise. I discussed acoustic glass and they claim their feedback from Mercedes was that there is no approved acoustic glass available but they were "looking in to it". They left my dealer with the impression that they have not had acoustic glass available, in Germany or anywhere else. Kind of flies in the face of what I'm learning on this forum. I'm now more frustrated than ever and wishing I had never purchased this otherwise fine car.
You want a definitive answer? Call MBUSA directly.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:56 PM

CRV
Sounds to me it's a rather costly fix and they are trying to avoid it as much as possible. Probably will have to push it multiple times before it gets anywhere.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:35 AM

'13 VW Touareg, '15 Harley Ultra Limited, '15 C300 Spt, '14 Airstream Interstate, '16 VW Tiguan
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
You want a definitive answer? Call MBUSA directly.
Call who? Whenever I've called customer service they give me the company line that this is the first they've heard of such an issue but they would log my call.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:02 AM

2017 C43 Sedan
update

Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Any news?
Sorry for the delay. I have not taken my vehicle back yet. They are shooting for the end of the day today. Hope I can take it back soon!

They had to spend extended time taking the front door side panels off to install the glass. And I am a bit worried whether they break anything or make anything loose.

Last time the check the windows, the driver side door became harder to close - more minimum force to close

Last edited by arnold0523; 09-04-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:29 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
I just got my vehicle back from the dealership. Too excited to write up this quick update.

Acoustic glass confirmed installed.

I have not got a chance to ran 50+mph, but sitting in the car and running at low speed, I can feel the noise level is significantly reduced. Will post an update shortly tonight or tmr after I drive home.

I have heard there is a difference in thickness 6mm VS 5mm from original glass. This could cause the rattle noise from window. - i went through several bumps that used to cause rattles, but it's been good so far! Temperature plays a role as well and i guess i will update it in another thread which is more related.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:02 AM

2017 C43 Sedan
Acoustic glass tested in high speed

I drove 75mph, and I definitely feel significantly less wind noise from windows. can't say eliminated, but if to a scale of noise level 1-10, 10 being noisest, 5 is normal level:

W/o acoustic glass: 7 - a bit excessive
w/ acoustic glass: 4 - normal

I could barely hear whoosing sound from the upper side of the window.
But I could hear noise from elsewhere (eg bottom of window)- probably a seal problem because they did not redo the seals. And maybe from the rear side windows because front side is very quiet now.

My two friends have ML, one (2012) has the exact same noise as my C300 (before the acoustic glass installed), the other (2014) is whisper quiet.

Conclusion: Acoustic glass helps a lot! In my case, solved wind noise issue completely coz I consider it in normal noise level now.
The following users liked this post:
Caramba (05-15-2017)
Old 09-06-2015, 02:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
good to know! hope to get my dealer to do this during the thanksgiving/honeymoon vacation in a couple months.

i hope they dont give me the run around when i get back after leaving it with them for 15 days
Old 09-06-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
I drove 75mph, and I definitely feel significantly less wind noise from windows. can't say eliminated, but if to a scale of noise level 1-10, 10 being noisest, 5 is normal level:

W/o acoustic glass: 7 - a bit excessive
w/ acoustic glass: 4 - normal

I could barely hear whoosing sound from the upper side of the window.
But I could hear noise from elsewhere (eg bottom of window)- probably a seal problem because they did not redo the seals. And maybe from the rear side windows because front side is very quiet now.

My two friends have ML, one (2012) has the exact same noise as my C300 (before the acoustic glass installed), the other (2014) is whisper quiet.

Conclusion: Acoustic glass helps a lot! In my case, solved wind noise issue completely coz I consider it in normal noise level now.
Great news, congratulations and thanks for posting your feedback!
Old 09-06-2015, 07:08 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
In case someone needs these, part numbers for the acoustic glass - got them from another thread.

A2057251800 & A2057252300
(option code SA851)
Old 09-06-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
awesome! put these in my phone to save for when i take it in. thanks a bunch!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:36 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
noise from A pillar

There is a bit of noise coming from A pillar or very end of the top window glass.
Before, it was noisy everywhere from the top window edge.

I can hear and feel this is more of a seal issue. I will try to put extra seal to this spot. Ordered seals from China, $1 per 2 meters. They used those to fix rattles from doors.

Btw, my rattles from windows seem to lessen since I replaced with acoustic glass - probably due to extra 1mm thickness from the glass. But still rattles. I even tried lubricant, helped a bit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting Acoustic Glass & Wind Noise Confirmed by MBUSA