C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Auto Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C220 AMG Line
Auto Transmission Problems

Evening All,

I'd appreciate some input on this. I drive a C220 AMG Line with 7G Auto transmission. My previous car was a W204 C220 AMG Sport with 7G Auto. The transmission in that car was beautiful, hardly ever felt it changing gears, it was quiet and smooth.

From day one the transmission in my new car has been problematic. The biggest problem is that quite often the car will refuse to change up when in low gears. An example of this was earlier on today, I was sat at a red light stationery in D, light changed to green... I accelerated as normal.. the car stayed in D1 until around 3,000RPM. By the time it changed into 2nd it sounded awful, really noisy!

Clearly this isn't normal? Car is booked in at the main dealers next Wednesday so have a window rattle looked at so i've asked them to have a look at the transmission whilst they're at it. I did ask the main dealer to look at the transmission a few months ago not long after I took delivery of it but they just fobbed me off and said there aren't any software updates available.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by ManchesterMan
Evening All,

I'd appreciate some input on this. I drive a C220 AMG Line with 7G Auto transmission. My previous car was a W204 C220 AMG Sport with 7G Auto. The transmission in that car was beautiful, hardly ever felt it changing gears, it was quiet and smooth.

From day one the transmission in my new car has been problematic. The biggest problem is that quite often the car will refuse to change up when in low gears. An example of this was earlier on today, I was sat at a red light stationery in D, light changed to green... I accelerated as normal.. the car stayed in D1 until around 3,000RPM. By the time it changed into 2nd it sounded awful, really noisy!

Clearly this isn't normal? Car is booked in at the main dealers next Wednesday so have a window rattle looked at so i've asked them to have a look at the transmission whilst they're at it. I did ask the main dealer to look at the transmission a few months ago not long after I took delivery of it but they just fobbed me off and said there aren't any software updates available.

Any ideas anyone?
Yes, also in Manchester but with c200 petrol. Gearbox is pants. Had all software updates, still poor shifting.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MB Sprinter RV
Evening All,

Any ideas anyone?
Evening. You have to keep in mind and shower, with utmost pleasure not withstanding wheels are normal with D6.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:11 AM

W205 C220 AMG Line
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Yes, also in Manchester but with c200 petrol. Gearbox is pants. Had all software updates, still poor shifting.
I've read various people complaining about harsh shifts from 2 to 3 etc but mine doesn't seem to suffer from that. My problem is purely that it randomly refuses to change up through the gears until a ridiculous RPM. Whenever this occurs it is almost always when going up a hill.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've read various people complaining about harsh shifts from 2 to 3 etc but mine doesn't seem to suffer from that. My problem is purely that it randomly refuses to change up through the gears until a ridiculous RPM. Whenever this occurs it is almost always when going up a hill.
Have you owned autos before? Because they will hold higher revs when going up hills. That's inevitable and they will rev higher still if you're on an incline and the engine is cold.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:25 AM

W205 C220 AMG Line
Yep. Almost every car has been an Auto. My previous car to this was a 2011 C220 AMG Sport, same gearbox but a thousand times better than my current car. I fully expect it to hold onto a gear for longer whilst going up a hill and when it's behaving normally it does hold on to a lower gear until say... 2100-2500RPM but when it's being a complete ****, it holds onto a gear until sometimes nearer 4000RPM. Sounds horrendous too as these diesels aren't particularly quiet!
Old 09-10-2015, 09:41 AM

BMW E46
Gear shifts

New software out now, will deffo fix the prob you're having, mine was staying stuck in D1 esp uphill, the software has fixed that and the keyless entry problem i had. Now they just need to fix my noisy wipers!!!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:04 AM

W205 C220 AMG Line
When did you get the software applied Syd?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:25 AM

BMW E46
When did you get the software applied Syd?
MB Blackburn..
Old 09-10-2015, 10:36 AM

W205 C220 AMG Line
When, not where
Old 09-10-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
I had the 2-3 shift issue mostly when first starting out with a cold engine, and earlier in September the did software update for ECU, it's improved and smoother even when cold.

They didn't mention or document anything with transmission firmware, uncertain if it's one in the same for their documentation or whether they didn't do that 'update' if one is available. They noted the keyless go software update as well.

Unfortunately with out a DAS Xentry, I don't believe there's any way to tell what they have done.

I never had the car hanging onto a gear. When it does, had it flipped into manual mode on the screen? As if from paddles, even if didn't use them? I'd try the firmware/software update from dealer, and if not a help, there's some other steps they can do in mapping it.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:52 AM

BMW E46
When, not where
Oh sorry, multitasking is not my forte! It was done last week..
Old 09-10-2015, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have the latest software in mine. It's not really made much difference. It still holds onto gears a bit too long, changes down too early and d1/d2/d3 gears are very jerky at changing (d4+ is smooth).

If they can't sort this out, the car will be traded early and MB won't get another chance as it's totally put me off.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:48 AM

W205 C220 AMG Line
I hate saying this but Mercedes autos are light years behind Audi's in terms of comfort. I've had a couple of Audi auto transmissions, one Multitronic and one S-Tronic. They were both incredible, you couldn't hear the gear change let alone feel it.

I'm tempted to trade the C in for something like an A5 Sportback. Such a shame as I think the current C class is an absolute work of art in terms of design and also quality. Audi interiors seem drab and dreary compared to the interior in mine but this gearbox issue is driving me mad!
Old 09-11-2015, 04:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
I hate saying this but Mercedes autos are light years behind Audi's in terms of comfort. I've had a couple of Audi auto transmissions, one Multitronic and one S-Tronic. They were both incredible, you couldn't hear the gear change let alone feel it.

I'm tempted to trade the C in for something like an A5 Sportback. Such a shame as I think the current C class is an absolute work of art in terms of design and also quality. Audi interiors seem drab and dreary compared to the interior in mine but this gearbox issue is driving me mad!
If you extend test drive the A5, meaning a good hundred miles in various driving conditions, and feel that's the better car for you, I'd say that life is too short NOT to drive the car you like if you can afford the hit on a short term trade.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:25 AM

W205 C220 AMG Line
Update!

My car is in with the dealer as we speak. Two issues, first is the auto transmissions problems cited in this thread, second is the dreaded drivers window seal making all sorts of noises.

Service manager had the car all day yesterday and confirmed that it is the seals on the drivers window that is making the noise. Said it's a lengthy fix as they have to rule out each seal one by one.

On another note, I was given a 65 plate C250 for the day. The gearbox in that thing is a thousand times better than mine! It was riding down the road in 4th where mine would be in 2nd or 3rd. Hopefully mine just needs a software update but what's slightly concerning is the service manager saying they can't find any faults with it as yet

Will see what they come back with today.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
I have the 250 diesel and the gearbox is smooth and trouble free. My eclass w211 220 was also good far better then the 2 audi tiptronics we had replaced with the e class far smoother feeling like a proper auto. The dsg i test drove in a diesel a3 was better but there have been lots of issues with them and it was one of the reasons i went for a glk over a q5 plus mercs permanent 4 wheel drive is way better over audi or bmw adjustable 4wd systems.

However in the 220 glk it was smooth enough but the gearing always felt too low often causing the car to sound as if it was labouring and needed to change up. I think it was actually a mixture of mercedes using as low revs as poss for fuel economy and inherent resonance in the glk and 220 set up meaning there was nvh being produced. In comparison the 250 is pretty much spot on and it is smooth and responsive.

Interestingly the engine is also much much quieter and even when worked does not sound bad, upping to the 250 is about 3500 euros here, we did so as we wanted 4matic and it was only offered with the 250, though now you can get it with the 220 but i will be very reluctant to revert back to the 220 version though it should not be much different as it is essentially the same engine. Maybe they have not quite got the dynamics right again. I will be asking about the software upgrade though when i have my winter wheels fitted.
The following users liked this post:
benzw205 (01-07-2020)
Old 09-17-2015, 04:19 AM

W205 C220 AMG Line
Thanks for that input. I've spoken to my salesman regarding a C250, it will probably cost an arm and a leg to move in to one so soon after buying mine but let's see. It felt tonnes better than my C220 which is disappointing.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:16 PM

W124 e220 w204 c200 amg w126 mustang gt 500 2002 mustang cobra 2002 mahindra scorpio mhawk 2011
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Have you owned autos before? Because they will hold higher revs when going up hills. That's inevitable and they will rev higher still if you're on an incline and the engine is cold.
Nice keep going
Old 12-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Yes Maniac. It should be understood that the transmission holds gears for longer when cold to heat Cats more quickly for emissions control.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
[QUOTE=ManchesterMan;6558821]Update!

My car is in with the dealer as we speak. Two issues, first is the auto transmissions problems cited in this thread, second is the dreaded drivers window seal making all sorts of noises.

Service manager had the car all day yesterday and confirmed that it is the seals on the drivers window that is making the noise. Said it's a lengthy fix as they have to rule out each seal one by one.

On another note, I was given a 65 plate C250 for the day. The gearbox in that thing is a thousand times better than mine! It was riding down the road in 4th where mine would be in 2nd or 3rd. Hopefully mine just needs a software update but what's slightly concerning is the service manager saying they can't find any faults with it as yet

Did your dealer resolve your issues? My car held onto a gear 3 or 4 times randomly so i asked them to check it out when i had the winter wheels fitted. They asked for the car for a day as they said the update would take some time so they gave me a b class loan car......terrible thing well put together but unbearable road noise above 70km plus it was manual maling it hard work to drive. My autobox was smooth in all gears before and there is little change but so far no hanging onto gears but it was a very rare event. No issues about updating the car software and it the jerky change seemed to be a known issue from the way the service manager discussed the update.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:52 AM

Mercedes C (W205)
Mine solved

Hi,

I got my C180 in September 2014. Gearbox felt really akward in certain situations. I mentioned it to dealer and usually software update was avail and applied. After those updates car felt better until problem came back. Finally in first yearly service, after my complain once more, they found out that one electric part needs to be replaced in gearbox. There were some internal mixups on part codes and it tool almost week to get it fixed. During repairs I had another C180 and it felt perfect. After repairs, I can happily inform that now my car is like it should have been since begingin. So please ask them to check MB bulletins, when they fixed my car they said that factory hae sent some news regarding this issue.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:59 AM

E30
Which dealership are Manchester based forum members using? Stockport is my nearest but frankly they have been absolutely useless with every single enquiry I've made. Going to try the one by Man City next - hopefully they'll have more of a clue.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:05 PM

C220 w204
Hi mate how did you get latest software? I got a w204 ntg4

Originally Posted by CrazySyd
New software out now, will deffo fix the prob you're having, mine was staying stuck in D1 esp uphill, the software has fixed that and the keyless entry problem i had. Now they just need to fix my noisy wipers!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
First of all you need to know if a software update is available for your tranny serial number---simply call any dealer and give him your VIN and ask the question!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Problems