C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Entertainment controls

Old 10-06-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
Entertainment controls

Just drove a 2015 C300 as a loaner, and was really frustrated with the center console entertainment/nav controls. WHY would they muck this up? The W204 series was perfect, intelligent, and logically engineered. Or is it just me? nah....

Seriously tho - anyone else frustrated with it? I'd planned on moving up a couple years but after driving and seeing what the interior is like, I'll keep my 2012 until they fix some things.

Good points on the newer model - suspension was *nice*. Automatically flipping between the different settings was pretty trick. Also one more electronic thing to go out on... (and yes, I'm never happy. German engineer here! lol!)
Old 10-06-2015, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Sorry you don't like the new interfaces to the sound system. I'd wager, it's just your familiarity with your current system and lack of familiarity with the new system.

I'm going from a 2012 E350 to a 2016 C300 Sport and I've the opportunity to play with the new system pretty extensively. Personally, I find it a giant leap forward. So to me and I suspect many many others Mercedes hasn't 'mucked' anything up.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:05 PM

C250
I was driving it for a week, so I did have time to test it out. It's that obtrusive star trek looking pad that goes over the center dial is the most frustrating (not to mention feather light touch sensors on the thing). My hands aren't huge, but covering that dial is ridiculous.

Also the lack of integration of their display screen into the dash just looks like they just mounted an ipad mini to it as an afterthought. Major loss of design points.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sunriver
I was driving it for a week, so I did have time to test it out. It's that obtrusive star trek looking pad that goes over the center dial is the most frustrating (not to mention feather light touch sensors on the thing). My hands aren't huge, but covering that dial is ridiculous.

Also the lack of integration of their display screen into the dash just looks like they just mounted an ipad mini to it as an afterthought. Major loss of design points.
Um.....OK.......I don't think many of us agree with you. Keep your 'old tech.' I'm embracing the more modern and functional design, myself.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:16 PM

W205 C250 AMG Premium Plus (UK)
Im not sure what you don't like about the touch pad? The new system retains the "dial" from the W204 but adds extra functionality. I've had extensive use of both and the new system just works better.

The only negative I've heard is from us RHD lads who find writing on it left handed a pain the in ***.

Keep your old tech............... you still rocking an 8track by any chance?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:37 PM
zsh

2015 C 220 CDI
I don't like the touchpad either tbh Mainly an annoyance in its current shape. For example same "stroke" for for changing a song will sometimes change and sometimes just start fast forwarding. Its also physically covering the regular "dial". Not to mention that it doesn't work correctly with letter recognition in "Phonebook" mode.
Personally they could have skipped that "revolutionary invention" and fix some other embarrassing bugs and misses in the car.

I'm all for new tech when it works ok and actually provides significant improvement/feel/time saving over the old stuff.

Last edited by zsh; 10-06-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I've yet to find a feature of the MB offering that does something more intuitively than my BMWs Idrive. BMW have this down, MB have some catching up to to.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ManiacGT
I've yet to find a feature of the MB offering that does something more intuitively than my BMWs Idrive. BMW have this down, MB have some catching up to to.
I dunno........After driving MB cars for many years, I decided to give BMW a shot and I never felt iDrive was as intuitive as MB - To Me. I suspect a lot of this had to do with lack of familiarity, and being way more familiar with the MB interface. After over a year, I still didn't quite get the BMW system and I wound up coming back to MB. You know what they say.......different strokes........
Old 10-06-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
I'll agree that as a new user it's not inherently intuitive or the simplest to use. I don't really have a problem with the trackpad layout but my issues are more with the interface itself and the sloooooooow response whenever you press a button or rotate the wheel.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
To be honest, I think what systems you "get" are driven by, either your "first love" - ie the first one to really impress you and/or the way we are wired. What I mean by this is wherever you get two competing systems thar are largely the same, but different around the detail, you become attached to one, but the other will simply not make sense.

My evidence for this: VHS vs Betamax..... (We know how that played out). IOS vs Android.... At the end of the day, it's just about tapping a screen to open Apps.... yet you'll get one, but the other will always be a PITA to get your head around - because one you will do without thinking, the other means you try the pre-disposed (sub conscious) action - it doesn't react the way you expect, so you get grumpy and have to think about it for a second before trying again...
Old 10-06-2015, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jolt8631
To be honest, I think what systems you "get" are driven by, either your "first love" - ie the first one to really impress you and/or the way we are wired. What I mean by this is wherever you get two competing systems thar are largely the same, but different around the detail, you become attached to one, but the other will simply not make sense.

My evidence for this: VHS vs Betamax..... (We know how that played out). IOS vs Android.... At the end of the day, it's just about tapping a screen to open Apps.... yet you'll get one, but the other will always be a PITA to get your head around - because one you will do without thinking, the other means you try the pre-disposed (sub conscious) action - it doesn't react the way you expect, so you get grumpy and have to think about it for a second before trying again...
Exactly! After all these years, my brain is kind of locked around MB Comand. Just like my mind is wrapped in Apple iOS and the same with Nikon DSLR menus, vs Canon menus. It's what we learn and become familiar with.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:35 PM

C250
Originally Posted by JimKing
Im not sure what you don't like about the touch pad? The new system retains the "dial" from the W204 but adds extra functionality. I've had extensive use of both and the new system just works better.

The only negative I've heard is from us RHD lads who find writing on it left handed a pain the in ***.

Keep your old tech............... you still rocking an 8track by any chance?
I see the british still haven't gotten any better with grade school humor, eh old chap?
Old 10-06-2015, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I am familiar with the interfaces used on BMW, Audi, Volvo, and Porsche vehicles. In my own experience, none of them are particularly user friendly. All require some time spent with the manual or an online instructional, plus lots of practice with the actual system.

COMAND is certainly not the most intuitive or direct system I've used but, I have to admit, that it does generally work well after one finishes the climb up the rather steep learning curve. Some things are just stupid, like the many steps involved in simply saving a radio preset ... a task that used to take one press and hold of a numbered button. Try editing a navigation entry some time.

The most common complaints being reported for ALL brands of new cars involve the difficulty in mastering the electronic interfaces. Some may seem simpler, but also offer fewer functions. I guess the real question then may be about our need for all this stuff in a car. Would the average buyer prefer less confusion and glitches at the price of less wizardry?

Last edited by StanNH; 10-06-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StanNH
I am familiar with the interfaces used on BMW, Audi, Volvo, and Porsche vehicles. In my own experience, none of them are particularly user friendly. All require some time spent with the manual or an online instructional, plus lots of practice with the actual system.

COMAND is certainly not the most intuitive or direct system I've used but, I have to admit, that it does generally work well after one finishes the climb up the rather steep learning curve. Some things are just stupid, like the many steps involved in simply saving a radio preset ... a task that used to take one press and hold of a numbered button. Try editing a navigation entry some time.

The most common complaints being reported for ALL brands of new cars involve the difficulty in mastering the electronic interfaces. Some may seem simpler, but also offer fewer functions. I guess the real question then may be about our need for all this stuff in a car. Would the average buyer prefer less confusion and glitches at the price of less wizardry?
Good question Stan. I suspect some would say yes. And some would be angry if their system didn't have every conceivable feature known to mankind. I'm somewhere in the middle. I may not be a spring chicken, but I like tech and I'm decent at mastering the tools at my disposal. But then, I'm the kind of guy who sits in a new car with the manuals and goes through every feature I would find useful to understand how to use them.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 E400W4 Sedan Luxury Trim
My best guess is that the dual touchpad/wheel are temporary for a couple years until MB dumps the wheel and replaces it with the touchpad.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:23 AM

W205 C250 AMG Premium Plus (UK)
Originally Posted by Sunriver
I see the british still haven't gotten any better with grade school humor, eh old chap?
"eh old chap"? you've been watching too many movies my friend. Your assumption that I'm "British" is also incorrect.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
I have the W204 and the W205. The new system with the touchpad is similar to the old one, but more complex, with many more options. It takes a little while to get used to.
As someone mentioned, as a righty driving a RHD car the touchpad is kinda useless to me.

At first, I preferred the old, pop-up screen on the W204. Now, I've grown to like the newer one, though I agree that it was at first almost an eyesore. It is the same screen used in the A, CLA (and others?). Obviously, they're trying to use more interchangeable parts across models. That's actually why I don't like the diamond grille -- It looks like the A-class.