C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 in Sport+ Mode Almost Undriveable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C300
C300 in Sport+ Mode Almost Undriveable

First let me say that I love my 2016 C300. Mostly I drive in Comfort mode. I find the acceleration off the line to be poor in Comfort mode, compared to my previous Audi A4 with 200 hp. Otherwise, I enjoy the driving experience. The C300 is a heavier larger car than my previous A4, so maybe that is why its acceleration from 0 isn't as good.

I have about 3000 miles on the car. When I try to drive in Sport+ mode, the gear changes jerk the car so much as to make the car almost un-driveable. Sport mode is only slightly better.

I am bringing the car in to the dealership to fix a couple minor things - the charger in the ash tray is dead, and the gas pedal creaks. I want to get the Sport+ issue fixed. Is this just a software update, or could it be something more?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Using 2015 as a comparison, the C300 averages 6.1-6.6 seconds and the Audi A4 2.0 7-7.6 seconds in 0-60 tests. The A4 should not be faster than the standard C300.

The C-Class is not known for smooth shifting, but your transmission should be checked by your dealer if it's that bad.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Comparing a 2015 C300 with a 2015 A4...

The C300 get's slightly better gas mileage, is slightly quicker 0 to 60, and weighs 166 lb. LESS.

I personally like the sharp crisp shift when I'm in "S" or "S+" mode, what I don't like is the rough downshifts going into 3rd while in Comfort mode. I've read there is a transmission software reflash for this...which is on my list of things to fix when I bring my car in for service.

Last edited by MASSC450; 02-10-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
S+ is just as it says, Sport PLUS, if you want smooth shifts, stay in Comfort mode.

S+ is supposed to shift faster and harder.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MASSC300
Comparing a 2015 C300 with a 2015 A4...

The C300 get's slightly better gas mileage, is slightly quicker 0 to 60, and weighs 166 lb. LESS.

I personally like the sharp crisp shift when I'm in "S" or "S+" mode, what I don't like is the rough downshifts going into 3rd while in Comfort mode. I've read there is a transmission software reflash for this...which is on my list of things to fix when I bring my car in for service.
i had the reflash because i had the rough downshifts going in to 4th, it helped, first mile of cold driving it is still kind of there though
Old 02-10-2016, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C300
I should have said that I was comparing to my 2008 A4. I just looked up its specs. Although that A4 was about 4 inches shorter, and 2 inches narrower, it weighed about the same as the 2016 C300, so I stand corrected about the weight.

My experience with my C300 when the light changes from red to green is that each and every time, the car in front of me or next to me pulls ahead easily. Whether it's a 10-year-old Honda Civic, or a beat-up contractor's van loaded down with construction tools, or a grandma driving on her way to canasta, they all pull ahead quickly. Yes, I could floor the gas pedal, but I am not that kind of driver. When I drove my A4, it seemed always to leap ahead of everyone when the light changed, without my pressing the gas much. It doesn't really bother me that much, but it is just in context of the jerky shifts which is my real concern. Perhaps they're arising from the same cause.

Vic Viper - it's not that the shifts are faster and harder, it's that they're jerky. I know what you mean by faster and harder, but that's not how my car feels in Sport+ or in Sport.

Last edited by mareish; 02-10-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Yep gearbox (7g+) on the 4 pot petrols is poor at shifting especially when cold. This one flaw is too much for me to keep the car for long and has put me off going MB again. You'd expect more these days and oddly I didn't feel it in the test drive, perhaps as I didn't drive it in varying environments. Sport plus is very snatchy and while it makes an interesting noise when shifting in that mode it's so snatchy I can hear and feel drivetrain backlash at times as if the locking clutch isn't timed well enough, which is not desirable in terms of performance or wear.

On your topic of acceleration yes it's dulled in comfort presumably for comfort and mpg. If you press the throttle harder it will go but then it will also hold onto gears too long and you sound like you're revving the car unnecessarily. It's simply not a drivers car imho but then all I wanted from it was refinement which it has in spades other than the built by monkeys gearbox.

I've not driven the new 9 speed so I've no idea if that's better.

Last edited by ManiacGT; 02-10-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C450
This could take a while to explain....

Throttle mapping - When gas pedals were directly attached to the butterfly valve in a carburetor. There was a fixed throttle response for every foot action. Meaning with 0% throttle applied you had perhaps 1% throttle opening to keep it idling. At 100% throttle, the butterfly valves were basically 100% open. Everywhere in between was linear to that curve. With the advent of fly by wire, the input of your foot to the pedal is now electronically mapped and can varied depending on selected drive mode. In sport plus, pressing the pedal halfway probably gets you close to 100% throttle opening whereas in Comfort mode it's probably closer to the 50% opening you requested. The ultimate horsepower output of the engine is the same in either mode, the ECU is just assuming you want to launch quicker so it opens the throttle sooner.

Additionally, shift points change by mode as well. The transmission will shift at lower RPM in comfort mode which means torque and hp will build more slowly. Your turbocharged engine is capable of adequate hp and torque to propel you quickly to 60, but only if it is allowed to rev enough to build boost. You will not have big torque off the line if you press the go pedal.

In S+ it is going to shift hard. It's supposed to match the desire to drive sportily. Press the accelerator hard and the hard shifts will match well and provide a satisfying experience. However, if you're just sauntering off the line, the S+ shifting will not be a satisfying experience.

My advice to you is leave it in comfort, press the throttle gently, knowing cars will beat you off the line and give it some throttle and let it rev if you want to go fast. This is how small displacement turbo engines work.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes C W205, Previous: Mercedes ML W164
Originally Posted by lbowroom

Throttle mapping - When gas pedals were directly attached to the butterfly valve in a carburetor. There was a fixed throttle response for every foot action. Meaning with 0% throttle applied you had perhaps 1% throttle opening to keep it idling. At 100% throttle, the butterfly valves were basically 100% open. Everywhere in between was linear to that curve. With the advent of fly by wire, the input of your foot to the pedal is now electronically mapped and can varied depending on selected drive mode. In sport plus, pressing the pedal halfway probably gets you close to 100% throttle opening whereas in Comfort mode it's probably closer to the 50% opening you requested. The ultimate horsepower output of the engine is the same in either mode, the ECU is just assuming you want to launch quicker so it opens the throttle sooner.

Additionally, shift points change by mode as well. The transmission will shift at lower RPM in comfort mode which means torque and hp will build more slowly. Your turbocharged engine is capable of adequate hp and torque to propel you quickly to 60, but only if it is allowed to rev enough to build boost. You will not have big torque off the line if you press the go pedal.

In S+ it is going to shift hard. It's supposed to match the desire to drive sportily. Press the accelerator hard and the hard shifts will match well and provide a satisfying experience. However, if you're just sauntering off the line, the S+ shifting will not be a satisfying experience.

My advice to you is leave it in comfort, press the throttle gently, knowing cars will beat you off the line and give it some throttle and let it rev if you want to go fast. This is how small displacement turbo engines work.
I've read that in sport+ the time of gear changes is decreased by 20% compared to sport mode. I so far only used sport mode in the city at traffic lights for example or nice roads. I drive comfort in city and highway. Long distances I tend to use eco mode. I have a C200 with 2 liter and is has pretty nice sound. Listen in the beginning

Last edited by DutchTim1; 02-10-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by lbowroom

THANK you. This should be what every new owner should be told before they even go for a test drive. it's basic information about the mechanics of this new age of small turbo vehicles that try and pull double-duty (sporty and luxury). BMW does this, Audi does this, almost every manufacturer is starting to follow this formula. Some may do certain aspects better or worse than others and unless you are a real enthusiast, you wont tell the difference.

But yes...from the days of yesteryear, these cars will 'feel' different
Old 02-10-2016, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C300
I like the Sport+ mode, it makes a little bit more noise, keeps the revs, shifts a bit harder; it's fun. I haven't had any issue accelerating past cars in traffic, and I haven't even floored the car yet. I think it's a definite improvement over the W204, but do I think the car needs a bit more power for that 7-speed? Yeah absolutely.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
just took delivery of a 2016 c300 sport.

coming from a 2006 G35 sedan...........this benz is slow as a grandma compared to my 10 year old infiniti.

however, i'm getting old now......i wanted confort over anything else.

the benz shifts are VERY rough and late.

i took my g35 all the way to 130 mph (hit rev limiter around there) and the power does not stop even until then.

the benz struggles to hit 100 mph in comparison.

ahhhh i gotta stop speeding, haha
Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 AM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
just took delivery of a 2016 c300 sport.

coming from a 2006 G35 sedan...........this benz is slow as a grandma compared to my 10 year old infiniti.

however, i'm getting old now......i wanted confort over anything else.

the benz shifts are VERY rough and late.

i took my g35 all the way to 130 mph (hit rev limiter around there) and the power does not stop even until then.

the benz struggles to hit 100 mph in comparison.

ahhhh i gotta stop speeding, haha

ive had a 450hp gto, a 300whp neon and a 1000cc bike and i think the c300 can hit 100+ with relative ease considering its power. you may just be a little biased and it's skewing your perception, it's not slow
Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by LateC300
ive had a 450hp gto, a 300whp neon and a 1000cc bike and i think the c300 can hit 100+ with relative ease considering its power. you may just be a little biased and it's skewing your perception, it's not slow
For me even the C200 isn't slow but it lacks torque at higher speeds. Overtaking on the motorway takes serious revs and sounds a bit poo. At low speed it has plenty of go. Typical turbo engine really. My 300hp BMW also feels week at high revs and speed, something I'm sure I could sort with a dyno remap.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
yeah, you might be right.

i had the infiniti since brand new for 10 years before i traded it in for the benz.

but trust me, that infiniti used to handle and drive like a champ. i've had a 2000 svt cobra before it.

maybe is the fact that the benz is really quiet even at WOT. perhaps the exhaust/engine note of the g35 made it seem quicker
Old 02-11-2016, 11:55 AM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
yeah, you might be right.

i had the infiniti since brand new for 10 years before i traded it in for the benz.

but trust me, that infiniti used to handle and drive like a champ. i've had a 2000 svt cobra before it.

maybe is the fact that the benz is really quiet even at WOT. perhaps the exhaust/engine note of the g35 made it seem quicker
Thats what I've been thinking. I had a CLA250 loaner earlier this week and it felt a lot quicker but i think its just because it was significantly louder. sounded good too
Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by topsider
Thats what I've been thinking. I had a CLA250 loaner earlier this week and it felt a lot quicker but i think its just because it was significantly louder. sounded good too
cla250 shifts like a champ with the dual clutch, but isnt near as smooth...so yea you get the sensation that things are happening, therefore = fast.

but yea, the c300 is engineered for torque, not high revs. even with the BMS tuner on mine, it's quite anemic at the top end...but when the turbo kicks in at low RPM's it's VERY quick. im happy to leave the "meh" transmission in a higher gear and just goose it around between 2-4.5k rpms, most fun there
Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 W205 C400 4Matic
I'm in a C300 loaner today, and off the line, the car hesitates even when in Sport+ mode. My C400 slams you into the back of the seat when you start off from zero while in Sport+, but the C300 has a very distinct hesitation. I'm not talking about just the difference in power, its how the power is initially delivered, and the C300 seems to have a delay.. The transmission shifts are also much more pronounced in the C300 than in my C400.

All that said, the car feels much more nimble than my C400. So there's a plus.

As for the C300 getting to 100, it seemed to me this morning (I live in the middle of no where, 'traffic' flows at 80-95mph) that it had no issues getting there, and I've had many 300-400hp cars in the past. (LateC300 - I also had a 300+whp neon, '04 SRT4 with almost every bolt on, and then some. What a terrifying car. Had mine to 165mph)
Old 02-12-2016, 02:58 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by l3it3r
I'm in a C300 loaner today, and off the line, the car hesitates even when in Sport+ mode. My C400 slams you into the back of the seat when you start off from zero while in Sport+, but the C300 has a very distinct hesitation. I'm not talking about just the difference in power, its how the power is initially delivered, and the C300 seems to have a delay.. The transmission shifts are also much more pronounced in the C300 than in my C400.

All that said, the car feels much more nimble than my C400. So there's a plus.

As for the C300 getting to 100, it seemed to me this morning (I live in the middle of no where, 'traffic' flows at 80-95mph) that it had no issues getting there, and I've had many 300-400hp cars in the past. (LateC300 - I also had a 300+whp neon, '04 SRT4 with almost every bolt on, and then some. What a terrifying car. Had mine to 165mph)
lol yea, the srt's were beasts, couldnt keep traction WOT in until 3rd or 4th gear if it was wet.

but also realize that the c300 lacks the ENGINE torque and response of a 6-cylinder car. the lag in the c300 is 50% turbo lag and 50% the fact that the 4 banger doesnt have much grunt by itself.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by l3it3r
I'm in a C300 loaner today, and off the line, the car hesitates even when in Sport+ mode. My C400 slams you into the back of the seat when you start off from zero while in Sport+, but the C300 has a very distinct hesitation.
Haven't driven the C400 but intend to test the C450 soon. That said, this C300 is not the quickest and I know I'll fall in love with the power of the 450 but it does run well and if you really want a leap off the line, power brake it to 2000 rpm to get the turbo spooled and I can assure you that you will not be talking about hesitation.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
C43
All of this acceleration talk has gotten me thinking. Has anyone been to the track with their C300 and tested times between Comfort, Sport & Sport +?
Old 02-12-2016, 07:03 PM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
lol yea, the srt's were beasts, couldnt keep traction WOT in until 3rd or 4th gear if it was wet.

but also realize that the c300 lacks the ENGINE torque and response of a 6-cylinder car. the lag in the c300 is 50% turbo lag and 50% the fact that the 4 banger doesnt have much grunt by itself.
it does have the same torque figure as the e350, not a bad number
Old 02-12-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C300
Originally Posted by Shotime
Haven't driven the C400 but intend to test the C450 soon. That said, this C300 is not the quickest and I know I'll fall in love with the power of the 450 but it does run well and if you really want a leap off the line, power brake it to 2000 rpm to get the turbo spooled and I can assure you that you will not be talking about hesitation.
Sorry but what is power braking? Foot on brake while revving? Is that safe for the transmission and brakes?
Old 02-13-2016, 01:05 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Exclamation Does a reset improve jerky shifting?

Originally Posted by jumpman726
Try the infamous Mercedes transmission trick to reset it.

1. Push the Start button twice to turn all of the electronics on but don't start the engine. (If you don't have Keyless Go turn your key to the right until all of the electronics are on, but don't start the engine.)

2. Floor the accelerator down to the floor and hold it there for at least 10 seconds.

3. While still holding your foot on the accelerator push the Start button once or turn your key back to the left and remove it. Take your foot off the accelerator and wait 2 minutes without pushing any other buttons.

4. Then open the driver's door and close it. Start the car like you normally would and you should notice a more responsive transmission.
This thread raises issues similar to the thread "What causes poor acceleration?". Before further discussion, all commenters who have problems should conduct the reset recommended by jumpman726 in that thread. (I have seen this procedure recommended elsewhere.) Then, please let us know whether the reset made any difference. Some might say that jerky shifting is not the same problem as poor acceleration. However, I believe that both problems begin in the Engine Management Unit (ECU).
Old 02-13-2016, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Shotime

...if you really want a leap off the line, power brake it to 2000 rpm to get the turbo spooled and I can assure you that you will not be talking about hesitation.
Yes, this works quite well....in straight line acceleration only.

My problem with the C300 is power just falls off when entering a curve at speed...almost a 2 second hesitation of coasting before the transmission finally downshifts in order for engine rpms to increase & the turbo to spool up.

My C300 is at the dealership as I post here getting a laundry list of issues corrected...including hesitation at WOT. Funny thing, my loaner 2016 GLA 4Matic does the same thing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C300 in Sport+ Mode Almost Undriveable