C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

7 weeks to fix electronic handbrake might be a recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 h
7 weeks to fix electronic handbrake might be a recall

I have a c300 hybrid and the handbrake got stuck on and the car would not move so it got towed to a local dealership. They fixed the problem after 1 week but Mercedes will not let the car leave the dealership until a new wiring loom has been fitted as they have had a case of water getting into the loom and causing the brake to stay on.

My dealer has said they need to get a part made which will take 6 weeks and then they have to fit it but they have never fitted one.

It's not to bad for me as its a lease car and they have lend me a nice E class.

Just thought I would let you guys no.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by Vallumlj
I have a c300 hybrid and the handbrake got stuck on and the car would not move so it got towed to a local dealership. They fixed the problem after 1 week but Mercedes will not let the car leave the dealership until a new wiring loom has been fitted as they have had a case of water getting into the loom and causing the brake to stay on.

My dealer has said they need to get a part made which will take 6 weeks and then they have to fit it but they have never fitted one.

I worried about stuff like this with the handbrake. Sounds like an unnecessary mess to me; keep it mechanical at the expense of the wow factor.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC43
Originally Posted by mcbc220
I worried about stuff like this with the handbrake. Sounds like an unnecessary mess to me; keep it mechanical at the expense of the wow factor.
It's for space, not wow factor. e-brake give us bigger area for cup holders.

That's why BMW's cup holders still sucks.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:24 PM

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Xtrema
It's for space, not wow factor. e-brake give us bigger area for cup holders.

That's why BMW's cup holders still sucks.
Mercedes has had a mechanical foot brake, not handbrake, for decades. This is a gizmo, plain and simple.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C450
Mercedes has had a mechanical foot brake, not handbrake, for decades. This is a gizmo, plain and simple.
To be convincing, you would have to compare failure rates of electronic e-brakes versus failure rates of mechanical e-brakes, either can fail. People made the same argument against electronic fuel injection, electronic ignition, power windows, and on and on and on...
The following users liked this post:
scrambler900 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 AMG C63S Coupe, Kawasaki ZX10R
Originally Posted by Vallumlj

Exactly the same happened to my car too. The handbrake lived it's own life and the braking light was on all the time.

My car was at the workshop for 7 weeks waiting for the new wiring, the ABS-unit and for the work to be done. Same issue as you, water. Verdigris caused by moister/water.

They worked at my car for over a week. Everything's working ok now, but it was a long wait.

Last edited by Tobby; 05-09-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:12 PM

2016 C300
Originally Posted by lbowroom
To be convincing, you would have to compare failure rates of electronic e-brakes versus failure rates of mechanical e-brakes, either can fail. People made the same argument against electronic fuel injection, electronic ignition, power windows, and on and on and on...
And those things are more prone to failure than their mechanical equivalents, aren't they? I have better things to do than compare failure rates for the sake of proving someone wrong on the Internet. Thanks, though.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
And those things are more prone to failure than their mechanical equivalents, aren't they? I have better things to do than compare failure rates for the sake of proving someone wrong on the Internet. Thanks, though.
Well, just to play the devil's advocate...
points vs electronic ignition
vacuum controlled automatic trans vs electronically controlled
carb vs fuel injection
throttle cable vs electronic throttle

Complex mechanical systems are typically inferior to electronic systems with respect to reliability. Ask anyone who works in high speed manufacturing. Mechanical parts wear out and require rebuilding. Physics makes all of us her *****es, there ain't no way around that fact.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C450
And those things are more prone to failure than their mechanical equivalents, aren't they?
My point was that no, they are absolutely not more prone to failure than their mechanical counterparts, quite the contrary.