C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

The Curse of my C300 Continues....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
The Curse of my C300 Continues....

I've had the worst luck with this car. First, the speakers blow out. Then I get a bolt in my tire. Then I watched a rock fly into the air in slow motion and ding my windshield, leaving a mark. Then someone opens their door into my car, leaving scratches. Then, I need the whole piston ring replacement.

Now, someone straight up crashed into me. The trunk won't close and the back-up camera is gone. This is all within a 5-month period of ownership.

I'm about done with this car.

Last edited by Popcrnchicken; 05-24-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
well, at least you are alright. saying this since you are ok enough to post this.

accidents happen. hope you feel better
The following users liked this post:
Popcrnchicken (05-26-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
On the bright side, you finally found a use for the folding comfort box, to haul away a few trinkets from the wreck. I have experience as an auto claims adjuster if you need help navigating the claim process.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:08 PM

W205
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
well, at least you are alright. saying this since you are ok enough to post this.

accidents happen. hope you feel better
Thanks man.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:11 PM

W205
Originally Posted by Mike5215
On the bright side, you finally found a use for the folding comfort box, to haul away a few trinkets from the wreck. I have experience as an auto claims adjuster if you need help navigating the claim process.
LOL! I actually use(d) that box regularly for groceries!

I've never actually had to deal with this kind of thing before (first major accident), and my wife is going in tomorrow to meet the claims adjuster. Any tips on what she can expect?

Any idea what it might cost ?
Old 05-24-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
463, 210, 211
Sounds like you live in a car unfriendly area. I don't think the car is bad luck, a lot of those C300's have the piston issue. The bolt, happens all the time, door dings? common too. The rear end smash though, ouch! It can only get better from here!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Popcrnchicken
LOL! I actually use(d) that box regularly for groceries!

I've never actually had to deal with this kind of thing before (first major accident), and my wife is going in tomorrow to meet the claims adjuster. Any tips on what she can expect?

Any idea what it might cost ?
The first order of business is to make sure you're using the at-fault driver's property damage liability insurance for the car. Who is the at fault's carrier? Requesting an in person meeting sounds like Progressive. Damages, ballpark $2500-$3000.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:50 PM

W205
The first order of business is to make sure you're using the at-fault driver's property damage liability insurance for the car. Who is the at fault's carrier? Requesting an in person meeting sounds like Progressive. Damages, ballpark $2500-$3000.
He has Geico.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Questions for Geico are have they cleared coverage and do they accept liability. Yes and yes, the claim should be straightforward and go smoothly. Is your wife sore at all? She may be in the morning. If so, you'll need to report the accident to your carrier as well for the medical (PIP) coverage. If not, leave them out of it.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
I reckon the car is about through with you

Poor thing..

Sucks rear rear ended, so was mine but way lighter than yours.. still a 3.5k insurance claim for the other pleb.... merc plastic is exe..
Old 05-25-2016, 10:50 AM

W205
Questions for Geico are have they cleared coverage and do they accept liability. Yes and yes, the claim should be straightforward and go smoothly. Is your wife sore at all? She may be in the morning. If so, you'll need to report the accident to your carrier as well for the medical (PIP) coverage. If not, leave them out of it.
No pain for us. Seems like the car took most of the force. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Sorry to hear about the incident, totally stinks.

One thing with insurance, most carriers (have not experienced Geico) will strongly recommend you go certain shops, saying it will be easier, lifetime guarantee, rental car pickup and drop off, etc....Use whatever shop you like best, regardless if it is one of their preferred shops or not.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:03 AM

W205
Originally Posted by z28lt1
Sorry to hear about the incident, totally stinks.

One thing with insurance, most carriers (have not experienced Geico) will strongly recommend you go certain shops, saying it will be easier, lifetime guarantee, rental car pickup and drop off, etc....Use whatever shop you like best, regardless if it is one of their preferred shops or not.
They said I can use one of their affiliated shops or go wherever I want. Only thing is I have no idea where to go as I've never had to deal woth car body damage before.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Popcrnchicken
They said I can use one of their affiliated shops or go wherever I want. Only thing is I have no idea where to go as I've never had to deal woth car body damage before.
The advantage of an affiliated shop is that the carrier has leverage if you're unhappy with the repairs, and will usually guarantee the repairs for the life of the vehicle. That may not be the case with the shop you choose. If you let them off the hook, you're agreeing to resolve any disputes over repair quality directly with your shop. As an adjuster, if I have an unhappy claimant at a shop we send hundreds of thousands of dollars in gross repairs to a month, they're going to do whatever they can to make things right. Conversely, shops we don't send business to understandably have zero incentive to make us (or you) happy.

My advise to claimants was, if they had a shop they used and trusted, go there but understand our responsibility as a carrier begins and ends with paying for the repairs. If they didn't have a shop preference, my recommendation was to use one of our affiliated shops, and we'd back the workmanship.

The advantage to the carrier with an affiliated shop is that the shop has agreed to a set pricing structure, usually with a discount over "street" prices, in exchange for getting all of the carrier's work. The discounts are small and usually mean nothing on an individual repair, but can save the carrier substantially in the aggregate. So if the street labor rate is $50 an hour, the shop may contract at $48. If the going mark-up on sublet glass is 10%, they may go 5% or waive the mark-up. The shop may agree not to mark up the tow bill (which they had to pay to get the car released).The shop may agree to cover excess rental expense caused by their delays.

As a carrier, being accepted as a "pro" shop meant adhering to certain standards for equipment, ie at least one laser unibody rack, at least one downdraft spray booth, an onsite color and tint station, a certain percentage of techs who are ICar certified, etc.

Generally, using the pro shop is a win/win for a claimant. Obviously, if you have a shop you know and trust, use them. If you're just picking a name out of a hat, use the affiliated shop.

Last edited by Mike5215; 05-25-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:54 AM

W205
The advantage of an affiliated shop is that the carrier has leverage if you're unhappy with the repairs, and will usually guarantee the repairs for the life of the vehicle. That may not be the case with the shop you choose. If you let them off the hook, you're agreeing to resolve any disputes over repair quality directly with your shop. As an adjuster, if I have an unhappy claimant at a shop we send hundreds of thousands of dollars in gross repairs to a month, they're going to do whatever they can to make things right. Conversely, shops we don't send business to understandably have zero incentive to make us (or you) happy.

My advise to claimants was, if they had a shop they used and trusted, go there but understand our responsibility as a carrier begins and ends with paying for the repairs. If they didn't have a shop preference, my recommendation was to use one of our affiliated shops, and we'd back the workmanship.

The advantage to the carrier with an affiliated shop is that the shop has agreed to a set pricing structure, usually with a discount over "street" prices, in exchange for getting all of the carrier's work. The discounts are small and usually mean nothing on an individual repair, but can save the carrier substantially in the aggregate. So if the street labor rate is $50 an hour, the shop may contract at $48. If the going mark-up on sublet glass is 10%, they may go 5% or waive the mark-up. The shop may agree not to mark up the tow bill (which they had to pay to get the car released).The shop may agree to cover excess rental expense caused by their delays.

As a carrier, being accepted as a "pro" shop meant adhering to certain standards for equipment, ie at least one laser unibody rack, at least one downdraft spray booth, an onsite color and tint station, a certain percentage of techs who are ICar certified, etc.

Generally, using the pro shop is a win/win for a claimant. Obviously, if you have a shop you know and trust, use them. If you're just picking a name out of a hat, use the affiliated shop.
This information is so valuable. Thank you so much!

I just called and changed my meeting with the adjuster to an appointment to drop the vehicle off at the affiliated shop where the adjuster was going to meet us. They said they would have a rental car waiting and the adjuster would call me later with the timeline of the repairs, and that they would be guaranteed for the life of the vehicle. The shop actually has stellar reviews.

This is better for me than trying to find a shop and doing it myself. I am grateful for your advice.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
You're welcome. Should be smooth from this point on, but post if anything crops up.