C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

c450 intake silencers

Old 05-30-2016, 01:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c450
c450 intake silencers

so i opened up the air boxes to see if there were silencers and took out these plastic pieces can hear the turbos a little more nothing drastic and cant hear them with the windows up but thought id share
Attached Thumbnails c450 intake silencers-1.jpg   c450 intake silencers-2.jpg   c450 intake silencers-3.jpg   c450 intake silencers-4.jpg   c450 intake silencers-5.jpg  

c450 intake silencers-6.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
7.mov (2.07 MB, 166 views)

Last edited by matoo; 05-30-2016 at 01:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DapperStyle (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
Nice effort, but the fins are only a small part of Mercedes' engineering a quiet box. The whole thing is so restrictive, you will never get a great induction noise out of it unless you Dremel out a whole lot more of that thing. Seeing as the aftermarket has seeing offering some options for the c450, I don't think it will be long before a pair of carbon airboxes are offered.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:14 AM

c450
Originally Posted by cenzo86
Nice effort, but the fins are only a small part of Mercedes' engineering a quiet box. The whole thing is so restrictive, you will never get a great induction noise out of it unless you Dremel out a whole lot more of that thing. Seeing as the aftermarket has seeing offering some options for the c450, I don't think it will be long before a pair of carbon airboxes are offered.
yes i understand was just bored and thought id give it a go
Old 05-30-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
I'd be mindful of removing dams within the induction system..
MB don't out them there to reduce power as a goal...
Sometimes to reduce noise, sometimes to improve flow and therefore engine performance (often part throttle response)...
The absense of dams can lead to the air interacting with other aspects in the induction system that cuases a redcution in flow.. and hence performance...

They did CFD and likely hundreds of hours R&D on this..

Bloke with dremmel in garage most times has not..

Having said that its your motor so go your hardest..

Without a flow bench, or dynamic pressure readings along the induction sysem and a dyno, you'll never know anything imperically..

Only reason i mention this is i recall a post where bell housings at the inlet FROM the airfilter box into the intake manifold were being removed because the dia was smaller than the bas of the bell housing.. it left a 90 degree edge to the inlet duct hose, which when flowing air HAD an even smaller effective dia than the bell housing.. so by removing the perceived obstruction they managed to reduce flow... all of which was confirmed with air pressure drop readings across the intake length ... it was agreat article..
Old 05-31-2016, 01:15 AM

c450
Originally Posted by Shadwell
Sometimes to reduce noise, sometimes to improve flow and therefore engine performance (often part throttle response)...
The absense of dams can lead to the air interacting with other aspects in the induction system that cuases a redcution in flow.. and hence performance...

Without a flow bench, or dynamic pressure readings along the induction sysem and a dyno, you'll never know anything imperically..

Only reason i mention this is i recall a post where bell housings at the inlet FROM the airfilter box into the intake manifold were being removed because the dia was smaller than the bas of the bell housing.. it left a 90 degree edge to the inlet duct hose, which when flowing air HAD an even smaller effective dia than the bell housing.. so by removing the perceived obstruction they managed to reduce flow... all of which was confirmed with air pressure drop readings across the intake length ... it was agreat article..
yeah i understand and it was mostly just me being bored and curious, i popped them back in a couple hours after i took them out
Old 06-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
W205 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by cenzo86
Seeing as the aftermarket has seeing offering some options for the c450, I don't think it will be long before a pair of carbon airboxes are offered.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 662 Likes on 521 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Shadwell

removing noise can easily mean removing air flow. It is the case in most factory air intakes.

You're not going to hurt much of anything by messing with the air intakes.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:51 AM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by alexasa
removing noise can easily mean removing air flow. It is the case in most factory air intakes.

You're not going to hurt much of anything by messing with the air intakes.
Rubbish, misdirected and unconfirmed changes can absolutely diminish flow... And hence performance.... This is my point...