C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

*urgent* Sidewall bubble after 3000 km : what to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:14 AM
SV-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything SV
*urgent* Sidewall bubble after 3000 km : what to do?

Hi all,

I would appreciate quick answers to this problem as I need to solve it asap.
Today I noticed a bubble on the sidewall of the front right tire. What's worrying me even more is the fact that the tire is cut open and you can see the metallic material. Tire is P Zero.

(The curb rash has nothing to do with the bubble, as it was a very, very light rash (but my wife still hates herself for it) and the bubble appeared many weeks after the rash)

I need to change this tire asap, but am I covered by any warranty? Should I try my luck to have this covered (at least partially) by the dealership?
I didn't take the tire/wheel protection as it was 1800-1900 CAD, not worth it IMO for a 2 year lease.

Help!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Not a chance in hell that they'll cover it without the wheel and tire plan, sorry
Old 06-28-2016, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Your best chance is to recover replacement costs from your local council/road maintenance authority if you don't have tyre insurance.

I'd get that tyre replaced as a matter of urgency however.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
The rim shows abrasions at the site of the sidewall rupture so the appearance is that the wheel was curbed. (See the other abrasion on the sidewall to the left of rupture).You'll probably just have to eat the replacement cost.

Those 19" run flats seem to fail in that same location a lot. This may not be the last tire you eat even if they're not curbed. Switching to a non RF set now might save some future headaches.

Last edited by Mike5215; 06-28-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C 400, 2011 ML 550, 2014 Kia Sorento SX
Simple:

Replace the tire.

It looks as if the tire was pinched between the (?) and the rim.
I really doubt that you will get any compensation especially with the curb rash presenting itself right next to the tire damage.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Chances are when the wheel was curbed there was a small tear in the sidewall that likely went unnoticed- by driving on it it has split open further. Check out tirerack and discount tire for a replacement tire.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C450
For sure there is a 100% correlation between the rash and the split. Just because the split opened up weeks later doesn't mean it wasn't initially caused by the sidewall rubbing against the curb. But yes, run-flat sidewalls are notorious to split easily.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
Originally Posted by SV-
Hi all,

I would appreciate quick answers to this problem as I need to solve it asap.
Today I noticed a bubble on the sidewall of the front right tire. What's worrying me even more is the fact that the tire is cut open and you can see the metallic material. Tire is P Zero.

(The curb rash has nothing to do with the bubble, as it was a very, very light rash (but my wife still hates herself for it) and the bubble appeared many weeks after the rash)

I need to change this tire asap, but am I covered by any warranty? Should I try my luck to have this covered (at least partially) by the dealership?
I didn't take the tire/wheel protection as it was 1800-1900 CAD, not worth it IMO for a 2 year lease.

Help!
I had a similar rip in a 19" Pirelli Sottozero winter tire. It was covered by my tire and wheel policy. I also had similar damage to my 19" mutlispoke rim (on another wheel.) The rim damage was also covered. I doubt the regular warranty would cover either damage. It won't hurt to ask though. The repair to the rim was valued at $150. Even if it had not been covered, I would have had it repaired.

Last edited by BenzC400; 07-01-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Warranty covers defects, not driver error. That's why they sell additional coverage for tires and wheels, to cover driver inflicted damage.

Go buy a new tire and be more careful in the future.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
Check out the Pirelli runflat road hazard warranty that is included with the tire purchase. It might apply to this type of damage, even if it's caused by road hazards. You might even be able to make a case that the tire was defective.

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/.../tire-warranty

Look under special warranty information. It reads:

"Road Hazard Policy for Run Flat Tires Only
Pirelli Run Flat tires are manufactured with technology that allows limited low inflation operation in the event of sudden loss of pressure. Pirelli does not recommend the repair of run flat tires and as a result, Pirelli provides road hazard coverage on all Pirelli produced tires that are manufactured with run flat technology. To qualify for Run Flat Road Hazard coverage, a completed claim form along with the tire exhibiting the road hazard must be returned to Pirelli through an authorized Pirelli dealer.
If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, which is one year from the date of original retail purchase of the vehicle or purchase of replacement tires (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32” of the original usable tread, whichever occurs first, the tire will be replaced with the same or comparable tire at no charge for the tire to the owner. After the initial warranty period, if a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or materials anomalies or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost of a comparable new Pirelli brand or PTNA private brand replacement tire on a pro-rata basis. The authorized Pirelli dealer will determine the cost by multiplying the percentage of the original usable tread worn by the current dealer selling price. The owner must pay for any associated service charges, including costs associated with mounting and balancing of the tire."

Last edited by BenzC400; 07-01-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:31 PM
SV-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything SV
Alright, so I dropped the car at the dealership, and the parts department manager said the damage was covered by Pirelli's road hazard warranty. Tire was still considered new (less than 2/32 gone) and it was fully covered, I just paid 64$ workmanship.

They had to take it off another (brand new, unsold) car on the lot however because they said the P Zero was back ordered.

Very happy and pleasantly surprised with the outcome. However it did take some time for the parts manager to find that warranty, as he initially said there was nothing he could do. So I had to insist a bit.

And to the one saying drive more carefully : just like anyone is at risk of having an accident, these things can and do happen to anyone. You shouldn't chalk it up to wrecklessness.

Thanks to BenzC400 for pointing the warranty out.. no doubt it will help others.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
s550 e 320
Originally Posted by SV-
Alright, so I dropped the car at the dealership, and the parts department manager said the damage was covered by Pirelli's road hazard warranty. Tire was still considered new (less than 2/32 gone) and it was fully covered, I just paid 64$ workmanship.

They had to take it off another (brand new, unsold) car on the lot however because they said the P

Very happy and pleasantly surprised with the outcome. However it did take some time for the parts manager to find that warranty, as he initially said there was nothing he could do. So I had to insist a bit.

And to the one saying drive more carefully : just like anyone is at risk of having an accident, these things can and do happen to anyone. You shouldn't chalk it up to wrecklessness.

Thanks to BenzC400 for pointing the warranty out.. no doubt it will help others.
Had something similar happen on my Conti DSW 06 with 3000 miles that replaced the lousy Pirelli p zero run flats. Educated the tire dealer and used the Conti road hazard warranty and it was replaced. I will have to get the wheel cleaned up under tire and wheel policy.