C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Auto High Beams Operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S
Auto High Beams Operation

I must be missing something regarding operation of the high beam lights. The high beam flash works properly by pulling the combo switch/stalk towards me. When I push the stalk away from me the auto high beam light turns on in the gauge cluster, but the high beams never actually come on. I think the auto high beams turn on and off depending on your surroundings suck as approaching vehicles or a vehicle in front of the car. But I haven't been able to get the high beams to come on in any situation via the auto high beam option even just sitting in a garage.

The high beams obviously work since they turn on via the flashing function. But I haven't been able to turn on and leave on. What am I missing?

Last edited by jherm; 01-22-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by jherm
I must be missing something regarding operation of the high beam lights. The high beam flash works property by pulling the combo switch/stalk towards me. When I push the stalk away from me the auto high beam light turns on in the gauge cluster, but the high beams never actually come on. I think the auto high beams turn on and off depending on your surroundings suck as approaching vehicles or a vehicle in front of the car. But I haven't been able to get the high beams to come on in any situation via the auto high beam option even just sitting in a garage.

The high beams obviously work since they turn on via the flashing function. But I haven't been able to turn on and leave on. What am I missing?
auto high beams only work while the car is in motion. Depends on situation.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:26 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
auto high beams only work while the car is in motion. Depends on situation.
Hmmm...well that explains the garage. But I have been in multiple situations while driving where I wanted to put on the high beams and couldn't without having to hold the "flasher" on. I wonder what was causing the high beams to not come on in those situations. I guess I'll just have to keep doing some trial and error testing.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
C350e
Hmmm...well that explains the garage. But I have been in multiple situations while driving where I wanted to put on the high beams and couldn't without having to hold the "flasher" on. I wonder what was causing the high beams to not come on in those situations. I guess I'll just have to keep doing some trial and error testing.
When you are driving in an area where there are street lights or does not activate either. Also it does not work at low speeds.
It usually switches on when you are driving on main roads or highway without any upcoming traffic.
The following users liked this post:
Hassan-Zahid (06-16-2023)
Old 01-22-2017, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
If you want manual control of the high beams, turn the main headlight switch to the "ON" position instead of the default "AUTO"
The following users liked this post:
Hassan-Zahid (06-16-2023)
Old 01-22-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2015 C250 AMG Line, Vision, COMMAND, Seat Comfort, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance W205
I must be missing something regarding operation of the high beam lights. The high beam flash works properly by pulling the combo switch/stalk towards me. When I push the stalk away from me the auto high beam light turns on in the gauge cluster, but the high beams never actually come on. I think the auto high beams turn on and off depending on your surroundings suck as approaching vehicles or a vehicle in front of the car. But I haven't been able to get the high beams to come on in any situation via the auto high beam option even just sitting in a garage.

Because they are on auto. When you push the lever away from you and it confirms they are active on the display they only turn on when necessary. If you're on a freeway that's well lit they won't turn on however if there are no lights then they will.

As above if you want manual control you need to change your light settings from auto.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
If you want manual control of the high beams, turn the main headlight switch to the "ON" position instead of the default "AUTO"
This ^

The auto is nice when you are in the middle of nowhere and it's dark as hell, but the sensor that detects oncoming cars is way too sensitive. If someone's porch light is on it will think it's an oncoming car. I've even had it turn the high beams off because the beams reflected off of a street sign

So around town I just turn the headlights to "ON" and turn the high beams on/off the old fashioned way. Otherwise they would never come on.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:43 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
This ^

The auto is nice when you are in the middle of nowhere and it's dark as hell, but the sensor that detects oncoming cars is way too sensitive. If someone's porch light is on it will think it's an oncoming car. I've even had it turn the high beams off because the beams reflected off of a street sign

So around town I just turn the headlights to "ON" and turn the high beams on/off the old fashioned way. Otherwise they would never come on.
That is exactly what my experience has been. Driving on pretty dark neighborhood streets sparsely populated with dim lights and it wont turn on the high beams. The trigger point is just way off in my experience. As you said, they just never come on if I'm in auto.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
C350e
That is exactly what my experience has been. Driving on pretty dark neighborhood streets sparsely populated with dim lights and it wont turn on the high beams. The trigger point is just way off in my experience. As you said, they just never come on if I'm in auto.
You might need to have them adjusted. They seem to be too sensitive. Street signs are ignored by my car. I have the ILS version.
Before i drove a Ford Mondeo with Auto high beam and that worked fine also.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by GerritKw
You might need to have them adjusted. They seem to be too sensitive. Street signs are ignored by my car. I have the ILS version.
Before i drove a Ford Mondeo with Auto high beam and that worked fine also.
By "have them adjusted" I assume that you mean "have the dealer adjust them"?
Old 07-30-2021, 11:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz E550 Coupe
As another member mentioned above, the 'automatic' function of the high beams relies on a minimum speed (ie.... they will not come on when going only 15mph).
Make sure the stalk is pushed into the forward position (small headlight with 'A' will display) When conditions are correct, brights will go on and the blue colored indicator will also display. Find an appropriate road to go somewhere >35mph with no cars coming at you on the opposite side and none in front of you.
In my 2010 E550 they work, on and off, within a second or so each time.
Good luck

Last edited by mikefalz; 08-02-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:51 PM

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts
2019 E 450 4 Matic T-model, 2014 Jag F-Type vert, 2004 Volvo V70R
RJAutomotive looks to be a real business. And the 200 BPS is much more realistic than what we were seeing previously from an unknown source. For the life of me, I can’t understand why MBUSA doesn’t offer this enhancement now that it is legal in the United States (large part thanks to Toyota).
Old 05-28-2023, 06:08 PM
SPONSOR

Received 777 Likes on 603 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
we offer ILS+ for free to our members
50% off + $250 value Golden ticket

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...a-s-n-1-a.html