C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Paint Protection Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S
Paint Protection Options

I'm new to the market for paint protection as I think they weren't that high of quality the last time I bought a new car (8 years ago). You could always see the edges between the protected and unprotected areas and they would discolor over time. I understand that the options have greatly improved so I wanted to look into doing one for my C450. The car was used with 9500 miles on it so it already has some minor blemishes, but I would like to protect as much as possible going forward.

I wanted to see what people's experiences have been with different options and what people would recommend. One of the differentiating features I've heard of is that some will "self-heal". That seems like a desirable feature, but I'm not sure if it's just marketing BS. I don't know much yet about other differentiating features so the main thing I'd be looking for (aside from good protection) is to have the edges between protected/unprotected areas as invisible as possible.

I'm aware of xpel, gtechniq, modesta, ceramic pro, and clear bra. But don't really know the differences aside from that I believe xpel and clear bra are vinyl applications whiles the others are ceramic. Also, not exactly sure how they vary on price, but I think ceramics are cheaper to get the whole car done? A friend in the industry said the vinyl wraps like xpel cost about as much to do the front end as a ceramic would cost to do the whole car. But I guess the ceramics have about a 5 year lifespan while a vinyl film will never really go bad?

Anyway, I'm just looking for a little guidance to best protect my car without compromising looks and as cost effective as possible. Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by jherm; 01-23-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
The cheapest way I found to protect my paint is paper tape.. the blue tape painters use when they paint a room for edge molding.. I just cover my car with it
Old 01-23-2017, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Gungaslow

The cheapest way I found to protect my paint is paper tape.. the blue tape painters use when they paint a room for edge molding.. I just cover my car with it
Wow...that was almost funny...

OP,

I only paid $600 for my lifetime self-sealing clear bra (nose, 12" of the hood, outside mirrors), and that included a piece of film on the top of the rear bumper.

I've been buying clear bra film for all my cars for years now...great paint protection, no yellowing either.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
C350e
I am using this paint protection. Best there is
Old 01-23-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
For a ceramic coating which is easy enough to apply yourself (and therefore the lowest cost) without giving up performance look up McKees 37 Paint Coating on Autogeek online.

For correct detailing procedure information (which is required to maintain the finish you achieve) may I suggest the following:
http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Of the clear PPF's (paint protection films) XPEl Ultimate has a good reputation and can have a coating applied on top if you so desire....

If you want to be a little more hands on with your car care there are impressive sealants (synthetic waxes) which are easy to apply last many months 3-6.. some stretching to 12... check out car pro Hydro... or or very cheap but excellent performance look up collinite 845. It's pretty amazing for the money..

Hope any of that helps.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLA250, 2017 C43 Sedan(Arriving in March/April)
I'm planning to get my car's front end wrapped entirely with xpel, headlight and bumper included. My current car has the front end wrapped in the "bra" configuration, which only goes halfway up the fenders and the hood and does not look very good.

I'm also getting the new car coated with Cquartz Pro after the wrap and will get it professionally waxed every three months or so. The new car is also selenite grey so I'm hoping that it doesn't show dirt and micro scratches as clearly.

Last edited by powerrrrr; 01-23-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by powerrrrr
I'm planning to get my car's front end wrapped entirely with xpel, headlight and bumper included. My current car has the front end wrapped in the "bra" configuration, which only goes halfway up the fenders and the hood and does not look very good.

I'm also getting the new car coated with Cquartz Pro after the wrap and will get it professionally waxed every three months or so. The new car is also selenite grey so I'm hoping that it doesn't show dirt and micro scratches as clearly.

FYI do not apply "WAX" over a coating.. you will loose the coatings dirt and water properties to whatever performance the "wax" has... (as the wax is on top and the top layer ditates the surfaces characteristics)..
For C quartz (finest if pro applied) you would want to apply Carpro reset and then reload on the coating quarterly to maintain its performance .. .
These steps may have been stated as rewaxed but thought you ought to know..
Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLA250, 2017 C43 Sedan(Arriving in March/April)
Originally Posted by Shadwell
FYI do not apply "WAX" over a coating.. you will loose the coatings dirt and water properties to whatever performance the "wax" has... (as the wax is on top and the top layer ditates the surfaces characteristics)..
For C quartz (finest if pro applied) you would want to apply Carpro reset and then reload on the coating quarterly to maintain its performance .. .
These steps may have been stated as rewaxed but thought you ought to know..
Yeah I'm planning to have the "Finest" put on my car. I did hear about the carpro reset from the detailer, but i've heard different on the refresh for the cquartz finest, a lot of people seems to have it done every year or two.

The waxing thing on top of the cquartz is really there to cover it up to further protect against swirls and micro scratches. I currently drive a black car and it's driving me insane.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by jherm
I'm new to the market for paint protection as I think they weren't that high of quality the last time I bought a new car (8 years ago).......... SNIP.

Yep I'm in the same position. I'm not very busy as work and have spent hours and hours researching this subject.
Conclusion:
1) the DIY product that any individual has chosen is always the best
2) if a person has a film on their car - that is the only to go
3) if they have had a pro coating done - that is the best (seems many of these have to be maintained)
4) there are many chemists out there mixing and matching different products in different layers etc.

My conclusion - I've never had any fancy protection on cars that I've owned in the past 45 years - just been a regular wash and wax (often at a carwash), except for my SLK which got a weekly hand wash by me, and they all looked fine.
Although my new car is the most expensive I've ever owned I'm not changing anything except that I will do a DIY paint sealant (yet to choose product) and maintain my car with regular washes (dodo juice neutral shampoo)& aquawax (while drying) and then redo the sealant as needed.