C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Steering Wheel Controls Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Controls Question

In the 06 C55 is there no way to make the up/down arrows on left side of wheel scroll thru preset radio stations and preset Sirius channels. All it does is scan to the next station/channel. That is the dumbest feature I have ever seen, WTF!?!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:26 PM

'05 C55 AMG
there's nothing you can do it make it scroll between presets. and yes, it's the stupidest thing ever...well at least on par with not having the option of the car chirping when you lock the door (unless you change to the netherlands setting)
Old 01-23-2006, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is actually an option in STAR to switch it to preset. BUT it's just a tease. It doesn't do a damn thing. Oh well I don't listen to the radio much anyway but I feel your pain.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Almost a Member!

STAR? Has anyone talked to a service rep at a dealer who has a clue, or maybe called MB USA tech line? for 60k we should be able to scroll thru our damn presets. It doesn't even do that in Sirius, those *******s!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don't need to talk to a rep. Someone (I think Steve/MBenzNL) replied in another thread saying that while the option is available it will do nothing even when enabled.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:20 AM

a Black
yep...this really sucks...my BMW and Lexus are set up right. I mean, WTF do you want to scan everytime for? Guess more reason to get an aftermarket system.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:26 AM

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by C32Vegas
yep...this really sucks...my BMW and Lexus are set up right. I mean, WTF do you want to scan everytime for? Guess more reason to get an aftermarket system.
yeah but then you might lose the steering wheel controls altogether
Old 01-24-2006, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
It ain't a stupid design. Guess the designer don't want us to fiddle around radio channels number buttons on our steering wheel or stare at anything on the panel for too long and lose concentration of the traffic in front.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Almost a Member!

In every car I have ever owned that had steering wheel controls, including my wife's current Honda Minivan, the buttons scroll thru the presets not scan up or down the channels or frequency band. It is the worst ergonomic german engineering malfunctioning engineer named Hanz mistake to date. I work with a guy who had a C32 and he said it was able to do it. He sat in my car and we went thru the menus and he said the option was missing as a choice. My guess is someone at MB/Siemens messed up and forgot to add that option in the menu system.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:59 PM

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by cntlaw
It ain't a stupid design. Guess the designer don't want us to fiddle around radio channels number buttons on our steering wheel or stare at anything on the panel for too long and lose concentration of the traffic in front.
actually it is pretty stupid. we can change tracks for cds and adjust the volume while driving. we can even go into the settings menu and adjust settings all while driving. not letting us scroll through radio presets forces us to take our hands off the wheel, look down to the center of the dash, and manually push the button for the radio station that we want. that seems more dangerous than pushing some buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Roadrage i feel your pain. I also think it's stupid not being able to scroll through the cd changer by using the steering wheel controls.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Almost a Member!

surely with the vast knowledge of info on this and other forums, someone has figured out how to make it work. I am assuming it is all software based in the head unit. Has anyone tried contacting the manufacturer of the radio, is it Siemens?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by genechien
actually it is pretty stupid. we can change tracks for cds and adjust the volume while driving. we can even go into the settings menu and adjust settings all while driving. not letting us scroll through radio presets forces us to take our hands off the wheel, look down to the center of the dash, and manually push the button for the radio station that we want. that seems more dangerous than pushing some buttons on the steering wheel.
I think you are absolutely correct on this. I am still waiting for my Sirius to be installed, but already do not like not being able to change the radio presets.

I wrote MB in the survey of new car owners about this and other systems not up to par with other cars; like the nav and comand. They aren't too bad, but not nearly as nice or easy to use as Acura and others.

That said, I still love the car. Driving it is something else. What a feeling. I kept my old 2000 BMW 328ci to drive in bad weather so I can keep the C-55 clean.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Any one discovered a way to scroll through the radio presets yet?