C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Sound Comparisons- secondary cat delete vs res delete?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
Sound Comparisons- secondary cat delete vs res delete?

I found one post in a thread comparing the sound of the combinations of deleting/adding misc. things.

Anyone have opinions on how the sound and/or performance changes when using different combinations of deletes? I am about to have my exhaust done- something is getting deleted not sure if it will be the res, secondary cats, or both.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK55
+1

It would nice if someone can post a soundclip or video of how the C32 sounds with both Secondary Cats and Resonator removed. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:42 PM

Crossfire SRT-6
Removing of them wont really "change" the sound it will only amplify it.. now if you were to remove the muffler or all four cats than you would see a change, but for the worse..

I suggest you remove the resonator first as it weighs more and serves no real purpose, but to muffle the sound.. and see if it is loud enough for you.. if it is just a little to quiet than remove the secondaries it will make it a little more louder.. this is what I did.. and now am happy with the results..

But if you really want a different sound you can change the muffler out or install an x-pipe..
Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
i already have a stainless magnaflow that will be going on. when i was modding my focus- i did a catback system, res delete, and random technology cat. eventually the cat burned out. since the car had been turned into a daily driver by then i didn't really care to spend the money on a new cat- so i just hollowed out the random technology cat and bought an o2 cheater. it really didn't get any louder- but it changed the tone. it almost made it sound a little more higher pitched (hard to explain). i liked it a fair amount more. i just didn't know what the note would sound like on these cars. actually i don't even have a c32- i have a C230 with a 2.5L, but no one talks much about the secondary cats on my part of the board- only res deletes. thought this might be the closest i could get to a good opinion/idea. i might go search the w202 board also sounds good on the e55- but that is a completely different beast

some a/b sound clips would be great- but i've yet to come across those. i will search youtube for a bit when i get home from work.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM

2002 SLK 32 AMG
Originally Posted by Sidez
Removing of them wont really "change" the sound it will only amplify it.. now if you were to remove the muffler or all four cats than you would see a change, but for the worse..

I suggest you remove the resonator first as it weighs more and serves no real purpose, but to muffle the sound.. and see if it is loud enough for you.. if it is just a little to quiet than remove the secondaries it will make it a little more louder.. this is what I did.. and now am happy with the results..

But if you really want a different sound you can change the muffler out or install an x-pipe..
what will the x-pipe do? what is the reason of puting in a x-pipe? thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Almost a Member!

C 32 AMG
Originally Posted by D_Star
+1

It would nice if someone can post a soundclip or video of how the C32 sounds with both Secondary Cats and Resonator removed. Thanks.
Look here, i removed secondary cats and resonator...

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVqsNWrKyU

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=pxP5q9...eature=related

and here S63 AMG http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vy9LC...eature=related

Last edited by schirki; 02-07-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
the second half of the 1st video and the entire 2nd video sound good...naturally, the s63 does also, but i think that goes without being said