Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
Sirius

Hey Guys--

I will be the proud new owner of amgnut's C55 on Saturday and I have a question about Sirius.

I've poured over a bunch of searches on this and can't seem to find this exact scenario--and since I'm new to MB's, I want to make sure I understand correctly.

The car is an '06 with COMAND. There is a SAT button on the head unit, but the car does not have Sirius. When I searched the topic, I came on a pdf of an internal instruction sheet on how to install Sirius in the car and if I read it correctly, it involved putting an additional antenna on the top of the trunk (external, not internal).

I would have thought that the install would have only required the addition of a module--that the factory antenna would have had all the wiring necessary to receive the satellite signal.

Can anyone comment on this--or will I definitly need to get this second antenna to get Sirius?

Thanks for the help with this--I've been reading up on this forum for the past 2 years or so and it's been a great resource in learning about these cars.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C55
I've got the same as you

I bought mine new last March.

Even though it is Sirius ready, you still need the module AND the antenne.

I priced it all out at the dealer with some heavy haggling. Couldn't get them below $800 + change for the install and equipment.

Look up Sunil. I've been talking to him. He may have some leads.

PM me if you make any prgress please.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:11 AM
cdd

N/A
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely take it to the dealer here and see what they say.

The $800 is pretty steep, but honestly I'm more concerned with the placement of the antenna. If it can be done internally, I might just cough up the dough.

If I get a different answer, I'll post what I find.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:58 AM

People have placed the antenna inside the car with mixed results. Remember that Sirius uses satellite technology and needs to have a clear view of the sky to receive a signal(if your not in range of a terrestrial repeater).

I had Sirius installed on my C55 after the fact. The antenna was mounted on the trunk. It's not that bad. Black car/black antenna.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:12 AM

'05 C55 AMG
I like JohnCL mount.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=sirius
Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 AM
cdd

N/A
Thanks again for the info. Are all Sirius installs done at the dealer or are some equipped at the factory? I guess I assumed that the cars were built with it ready to go...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Look on ebay I found the reciever for 75 bucks and got the antennae from circuit city for 40. There is ZERO need to mount the antennae on the trunk or roof it works just as well under the rear parcel shelf- Find my thread-
Old 01-24-2008, 01:26 PM
cdd

N/A
spr--

Found the thread where you were helping Rory out. I think that's all the info I need.

Thanks much!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

You bet. Do me a favor and post a question asking him how it went. BTW my reciever was out of a slk55 05. It just has to be the Most version... You will still need to get that bracket that holds both the reciever and the amp which was 40 bucks.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:08 AM

06 C55

Interested to know what you do....please let me know.

I never did the sirius install....

Ipod works OK, not great.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:42 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is an updated box for the ipod that the dealer will change if you complain about it. I probably woudn't have installed the sat if I didn't get it all for 250 YOu want know what I do or someone else?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
I've found that Sirius gets very poor reception in an environment where the skyline is even partially blocked. It is very bad in Chicago. I drove an 08 E with factory Sirius for about two months, and there were constant drop outs. I have XM in my C and the reception is much, much better. XM>Sirius. Too bad Benz doesn't offer an OEM XM option.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:13 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by jgsx
I've found that Sirius gets very poor reception in an environment where the skyline is even partially blocked. It is very bad in Chicago. I drove an 08 E with factory Sirius for about two months, and there were constant drop outs. I have XM in my C and the reception is much, much better. XM>Sirius. Too bad Benz doesn't offer an OEM XM option.

You are alive!! Long time no talk....what have you been up to?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
hey hey i havent gone through the process yet, but still want to. so an update on my end, i havent done anything unfortunately. SPR's post on my thread was absolutely fantastic, I wish you lived close to Philly so I could just pay you to do it, just havent had the time or drive to take care of it!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:51 PM
cdd

N/A
Rory--

You live in Philly? I went to MB of Devon today and the parts for the Sirius kit were $875 and install was $400.

As some have mentioned on the forum before, their install included drilling the rear decklid and putting the antenna on the trunk, which I certainly didn't want them to do.

I'm going to be calling MB of Cherry Hill to see if their pricing is any different, but at $1200, I'll pass! Time to troll the bay for spare receivers.

Last edited by cdd; 01-28-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Originally Posted by cdd
Rory--

You live in Philly? I went to MB of Devon today and the parts for the Sirius kit were $875 and install was $400.

As some have mentioned on the forum before, their install included drilling the rear decklid and putting the antenna on the trunk, which I certainly didn't want them to do.

I'm going to be calling MB of Cherry Hill to see if their pricing is any different, but at $1200, I'll pass! Time to troll the bay for spare receivers.
Yep I am in philly. Maybe we can get a 2 for 1 deal. I hear a guy on here Sunil travels from time to time and does installs like this...maybe he can take car eof it if hes planning on coming to the area.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
SIRIUS INSTALL

1st Question.)
SPR states "It just has to be the Most version...",

So will almost any gen part work???
I am narrowing it down two main PNs.

A LOT of people post that PN A169 827 01 62 is correct.
Visually looking at WIS PN A220 820 17 97 seems more accurate...

Which leads to;
2nd question.)
So then why are there TWO Antenna leads in the WIS install document - and which one is needed in 2016+ for SIRIUS. What is the white one for if SPR used only the BLUE FAKRA, is that all which is required?

I too would prefer NOT to install through my trunk lid, would like to install in the rear package tray, perhaps in the void of the passenger side empty speaker if there is room, as there is NO room for the factory first aid kit...or, as SPR notes, a magnet mount under the tray WORKED!?!? I will try that too...

Thanks!
Jake
Attached Thumbnails Sirius-siruis_confusion.jpg   Sirius-no_firstaid_with_hk_2.jpg  
Old 03-09-2016, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
From SLK instruction;
7. Connect the preinstalled blue antenna connector to the adapter cable (B, Figure 24) of the SDARS antenna splitter (A, Figure 24).
Note: There is no use for the white antenna connector from the preinstalled antenna leads when installing the 2nd generation SDARS antenna.

So it is a matter of tuner gens from what I am reading...
The w169 module with 2nd gen antenna seems to be more inline with this...

From DigitalRadioCentral:
"It could be the older Antenna is designed to match your tuner more closely than the SIR3. In order to get the best performance in a radio, the input stage must carefully match the impedence of the antenna. I don't think the SIR3 has any added benefit when matched with a Gen1 tuner so you are probably better off with the old design."

As the use of a 2nd gen antenna with a 1st gen module needs a splitter when installed MB style...
Note: Position the SDARS antenna splitter on the SDARS bracket as shown in Figure 22.
4. Connect the blue and white connectors of the SDARS antenna splitter (A, Figure 22) to the like-color jacks on the SDARS control module (C, Figure 22).
5. Secure the SDARS antenna splitter leads to the SDARS bracket (D, Figure 22) with felt tape (Arrow, Figure 22).
6. Connect the 90 degree connector of the kit- included adapter cable to the SDARS antenna splitter (A, Figure 23).
7. Connect the preinstalled blue antenna connector to the adapter cable (B, Figure 24) of the SDARS antenna splitter (A, Figure 24).

Can anyone confirm a 2nd gen (blue connection only) module and matched antenna will work in a MY'05 w203.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
you can get select or mostly music

John Hoodless
West Region Automotive
www.siriusxmdealer.com

I submitted a request to place your radio into ‘Protected Tier’, but it is not part of the affected population. Unfortunately, the hardware is limited to a set number of channels, as designed by the manufacturer.
Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

Jay Valentich
202-258-5844
(((SiriusXM)))

Those were direct responses from SIRIUS reps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a few failed attempts at a "hidden" antenna...they did not work here in the woody suburbs of Buffalo.

So...I am/have been enjoying the "SELECT" package with an OEM Infiniti antenna. I machined the curry female to accept the OEM blue male. Yes, you could cut off the blue tab.

I did not drill a hole on my car and this OEM Automotive piece looks "acceptable" with the finished rubber tail to weather groove.

Keeping it un-clipped from the Bridgeport work, I fed it up behind the taillight and then to the roof.

This seller has them...reasonably priced! I just ordered two spares.
Attached Thumbnails Sirius-infiniti_sirius_2.jpg