C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Oil Additives

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Oil Additives

Has anyone used anything like "Slick 50" or any of these friction reducing products on their C32? I have used these products in the past, with measured reductions in operating temperature.

As far as warranty, I figure it would make no difference as nobody knows the difference.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:50 AM

Nothing
I don't use additives for the following reasons.

1. Oil companies have the best recources and spend millions each year to make good lubricants. Why would they not include the additives if it is so great?

2. Here by me (South Africa) none of these additives have been SABS (South African Buraeu of Standards) approved.

3. A local magazine have tested all tha main additives and have found no real improvements with any of them. A lot of these companies advertise in this magazine, but the magazine clearly stated that those additives do not work.

Just my .02
Old 07-27-2004, 02:56 PM

2004 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by VancouverC32
Has anyone used anything like "Slick 50" or any of these friction reducing products on their C32? I have used these products in the past, with measured reductions in operating temperature.

As far as warranty, I figure it would make no difference as nobody knows the difference.
I've heard bad stories about those oil additives. I'd just stick with synthetic oil and nothing more.

You may want to consider Redline Water Wetter. You add it to the coolant resevoir and it reduces engine temp slightly. Many auto enthusiasts use it and I have never heard a complaint. Although I'm not sure it works with all types of antifreeze. Make sure to check!!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:56 AM

1998 E430
You do not need aftermarket oil additives. If you are using quality synthetic oil from the start, the oil will already have the proper amount of additives blended into the basestocks to protect the engine and keep the oil in tip top condition.

Many of the oil additives on the market are nothing more than snake oil scams. Many of the companies making these "additives" have been sued.

Here's an FTC filing against Slick 50:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1997/07/slick.htm

FTC filing against zMax:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm

FTC filing against Dura Lube:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/05/duralub2.htm

Just a few to give you an idea as to the "claims" these companies make.

Bottom line is, don't put anything into the oil. Use good oil and you have nothing to worry about.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:20 AM

2004 C32 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Deception
You do not need aftermarket oil additives...
Ohhhh, good find!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water Wetter with a 50/50 coolant mix is a waste of your money. It was meant to be run without coolant to achieve its intended benefit of reduced temperatures.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:13 PM

2004 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by smgC32
Water Wetter with a 50/50 coolant mix is a waste of your money. It was meant to be run without coolant to achieve its intended benefit of reduced temperatures.
Stricly water and water wetter does allow for cooler operating temps over a 50/50 mix w/water wetter, but they still claim 50/50 coolant mix w/water wetter is still effective.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech3.htm (check out the friction graph at bottom)

USE DIRECTIONS

One 12 ounce bottle treats 12- 16 quarts of water or a 50% ethylene or propylene glycol solution. In smaller cooling systems, use 4 - 5 caps per quart. Add directly through the cooling system fill cap into the radiator or into the overflow tank. Do not open a cooling system while hot. For best protection for aluminum, replenish or replace every 15,000 miles. The anti-scaling ingredients in Red Line Water Wetter allow its use with ordinary tap water. However, using with distilled or deionized water will accomplish some scale removal in the cylinder head area. For maximum temperature reductions use the most water and the least antifreeze possible to prevent freezing in your climate. Even in summertime the use of air-conditioning can blow freezing air through the heater and cause freezing of the heater core unless approximately 20% antifreeze is used. Red Line Water Wetter is available in 12 ounce containers.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking Oil additives

Mr. VancouverC32:

Soooo... have you ruined your car with oil additives yet?

Wiedermann
Old 08-08-2004, 02:12 AM

AMG C43, 1999
When I was racing AMA Superbikes we tried all the snake oils with no discernable difference in Hp. Untill we tried Oil Extreme which did make a difference. I put some in my C280, V6 when it was strapped to the dyno and it gained 8hp through most of the powerband. I also run it in my C43 with great results.

Oil analysis of the Mobil 1, 5-30wt and Oil Extreme show very good engine protection and lower than normal wear.

Jeff
Old 08-08-2004, 02:57 AM

C32
Originally Posted by Wiedermann
Mr. VancouverC32:

Soooo... have you ruined your car with oil additives yet?

Wiedermann

I have not used them on the C32 yet, but I honestly noticed a difference in the past both in operating temperature and wear.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Don't put oil additives on your car. Oil additives should be ban on MB car. It will mess up your car .
Old 08-08-2004, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking C32 still alive!!!

I have not used them on the C32 yet, but I honestly noticed a difference in the past both in operating temperature and wear.
Mr. VancouverC32:

Good to hear from you!.. and equally good to hear your C32 is untouched!. I don't want you to go postal on me (here in the US, we've had some incidents with Postal service employees that "just" start "shooting" people around them , so you know what "postal" means ).

Like several people have said, stay away from Oil additives on your car and use the synthetic oil.

Wiedermann
Old 08-09-2004, 01:03 PM

C32
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wiedermann
Mr. VancouverC32:

Good to hear from you!.. and equally good to hear your C32 is untouched!. I don't want you to go postal on me (here in the US, we've had some incidents with Postal service employees that "just" start "shooting" people around them , so you know what "postal" means ).

Like several people have said, stay away from Oil additives on your car and use the synthetic oil.

Wiedermann
Mr.Wiedermann:
I am the sort of person that goes overboard with maintenance and such. I only have 12,000km (7440 miles) and have had 2 oil changes at the dealer (Mobil 1 synthetic). I like to overbuild things and overmaintain and enjoy the fruits of my labour. I will take the advice of this board and not add any additives to this car, but will continue with frequent oil changes.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Exclamation Additives

Mr.Wiedermann:
I am the sort of person that goes overboard with maintenance and such. I only have 12,000km (7440 miles) and have had 2 oil changes at the dealer (Mobil 1 synthetic). I like to overbuild things and overmaintain and enjoy the fruits of my labour. I will take the advice of this board and not add any additives to this car, but will continue with frequent oil changes.

Thanks
Mr. VancouverC32:

You da man!

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 08-10-2004, 01:46 AM

AMG C43, 1999
Guys your missing the boat on the Oil Extreme. It is great stuff, it won't harm your engine and will reduce friction and keep your engine sharper.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2004, 11:46 PM

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
E Coupe C207, ML W166, ML W164, Sprinter 1500/144, W111 SB220 Fintail(s), A5 chassis Beetle 5+5
The ONLY additive used by knowledgable people is Auto-Rx.com. ARX is unique and effective.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...?ubb=forum;f=5
Old 01-26-2008, 03:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 c230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Let's bring this thread back to life!
I recently signed up for Auto Warranty Brokers, an aftermarket extended warranty company and they provide a bottle of Dura Lube to use with the car. The warranty contract is not valid until it's put into the car. So....

...if a warranty company believes in it so much to send it out to their customers for free and would be the ones to fix the cars if there were anything bad that happens to it, wouldn't Dura Lube be an excellent product? It's obviously in the Warranty company's best interest to protect your car so that they wont' have to spend money on repairs. They obviously believe in Dura Lube. Should we?

Yes, no?? what are your thoughts?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 AM

c32 AMG
Royal Purple even states not to use any additives with their oil
Old 01-26-2008, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI

stick only to synt. oil and you will be fine