C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Steering wheel adjustment motor gone bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
yeah tell me about it!

so you mean all along you did not notice this ever since you've owned your car?!

What do you think you're going to do about it?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:16 AM

C240
got mine fixed

... although a friend who's a mechanic helped me, it still took us more than 3 hours after I had opened the driver's side footwell, and part of the driver-side dash. We had to open a lot of parts - a royal PITA, really!

There were like a couple of people who had posts saying they had done this repair w/out having to open the driver-side dash (i.e. only by opening the driver-side footwell cover). I tried very hard to do it that way, but there were a couple of electrical connectors mounted on a black plastic bracket blocking my way. Those could Not be moved out of the way.

Unfortunately there was no easier way to do it. We had to open also the center console, radio, a/c ducts, instrument cluster, stabilizer bar (to the left of the steering wheel), lower the steering wheel all the way, and one other part that looked like a silver color iron box - right behind the steering wheel column & in front of the tilt motor.

In all - it probably took around 6 hours.

BTW, some of the parts are very tricky the way they open, and w/o the
right tool, or, skill, or patience they can easily break. Some of these high-risk areas are: opening the radio, the center console (including trims), electrical connectors (esp. headlights&mirrors, OBD socket, another complex socket behind the driver-side footwell), and putting the hood-release handle back in. These items/areas can easily get damaged if you're not very careful.

Hope this helps you make your decision on the repair of your broken power tilt-steering.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:00 PM

C32
After reading your last post I am not sure I want to tackle the repair. You bought the part from the dealer I assume. How much was it?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:43 PM

C32
bump
Old 12-21-2010, 05:23 PM

C32
Anyone know the book time for replacing this part?

Who am I kidding...this is a shameless bump. Ok! I admit it.