C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

The hesitation and slight jerk issue is solved.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
The hesitation and slight jerk issue is solved.

When I replaced the IC PUMP, the issue went away. I had no idea it was related but it was. Some time back I posted when cruising around 55-60 the car would jerk slightly (like letting off the gas and hitting it again). This even
happened with the cruise control on.

With the IC pump replaced, I have the power I was expecting to have and solved two issues at the same time.

Just thought I'd pass this on.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK55
Thanks, that's really good to hear

I also have minor issue with jerk too... maybe it's time I replace mine too

How many miles do you have on the car before you exchanged the IC Pump?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by trbo2nr
When I replaced the IC PUMP, the issue went away. I had no idea it was related but it was. Some time back I posted when cruising around 55-60 the car would jerk slightly (like letting off the gas and hitting it again). This even

With the IC pump replaced, I have the power I was expecting to have and solved two issues at the same time.

Glad you got it sorted out. That's exactly how I knew mine was on it's way out also - cruising around 70mph and feeling a little power 'jerk' every 30 seconds or so.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 PM

1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG

Sorry I missed your previous thread, but that jerk at 55-60 mph is your supercharger clutch disengaging. I have the same problem and since your IC pump is cutting out at said speed, it creates that jerk we feel. As time passes I feel it more often. I'll have it replaced soon enough.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Thanks 4 sharing
Old 04-15-2008, 12:47 AM

Location: Home is Stockholm, Sweden. But my work takes me around the world, right now I work/live in Laos, South East Asia.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 T 2003. Mods? MANY!! :)

So just by replacing the pump it got solved!? Wow, that is really good news! I have, as many of us do, the same problem and even on CC. I thought I would have to get it to Mercedes to update the software in the system, but since I'm already planing on changing the pump next week, I'll guess I wait with that.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
update.

this is the newest IC pump related thread therefore I will post here.

2 years ago.. I replaced my OEM pump with a Bosch Ford pump.

Back then.. the Johnson pump was not really in the AMG scene yet.. very rare.

The Ford Bosch and MB Bosch pump are exactly the same, except for the 2 pin connector. But if you splice the wires it should not be an issue.

Well..after 2 years .. I though my pump was working fine.

In fact I would check my pump almost everyday after my commute from Work to Home.

How? I removed the passenger front tire plastic cover (directly behind the IC Pump and Fog light. This gives you access to the Ic pump connector and hoses to check for:

vibration and noise from the pump and flow of the water hoses.

Last week.. i removed the connector from the pump and drove the car around town. With in 5 minutes of aggressive driving (manuall shifting 1,2 3)... the kompressor shut downed occurred and you can easily feel the lack of power.

I pulled over, placed the connector back and power was back. So everything is fine.

Everyday I would feel the pump on.. but felt the water flow from the hoses was slow or not as strong as with my Johnson Cm30 in my E55.

Well decided to take it to my local mechanic and have him help me remove the pump

I had a brand new MB IC pump in my garage (The one my dealer replaced last Sept 07 and I removed in 10/07 for a Johnson pump on my E55)

Decided to swap and just check if my diagnosis was correct.

After a few minutes of letting th car warm up and get back to normal coolant levels.. I drove around town.

DARN it! My pump was not working as I thought. Drove the car a few more minutes around and sure enough.. power is more consistent.

What I have learned is the following. The IC pump can die and you will feel the power loss with in a few minutes of city driving or during various hard runs on the freeway. Its apples and oranges, very easy to feel the difference.

But also, you can have an issue with a bad performing pump, that seems to be working but but some reason or another is not really pumping as much water.

I do have a larger Heat Exchanger, and probably help me feel less the need of the pump.

So.. the IC PUMP issues continue.

All I can say.. better use a new MB pump or Johnson pump and make sure you inspect your hoses and pump if you feel you are not running properly.

The johnson pump is louder and makes a higher pitch sound.. very easily to hear its working. Just an added bonus.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by TopGun32
I had a brand new MB IC pump in my garage (The one my dealer replaced last Sept 07 and I removed in 10/07 for a Johnson pump on my E55)
Was the pump that the dealer installed on your car on September 07 the new "updated" Bosch pump or was it just a new replacement to the old one?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Was the pump that the dealer installed on your car on September 07 the new "updated" Bosch pump or was it just a new replacement to the old one?
updated version.. which tends to fail less.

I took the car in for that same reason.. lost of power and I took a tech out for a drive.

As soon he drove it on the freeway..he knew it was the pump.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Not sure which one I have - they had to order it as it wasn't in stock. I hope it's the updated version. I wonder what the differences are? I'm holding off on more power mods as it's fine right now and doing a grill replacement next week. Money is tight putting to kids through college in this day and age, plus gas has reached $3.70/gallon. Off the topic- but I've been riding the Harley and loving the 40mpg.