C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 acceleration/gas pedal problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
C32 acceleration/gas pedal problem...

I've been having some serious issues with sluggish acceleration and little to no response when I push the pedal. Most times, the gas pedal is really soft. When I push it, it will not downkick, and the car accelerates very slowly (In D and S mode). It throws no CELs. I have to almost floor it in order to get a downkick (BTW i also have a new tranny, intercooler, and torque converter). If I floor it then everything is fine and the car is fast again. I do not think it is a bad IC pump, because it has already been replaced and the supercharger does not turn off, but it sounds like the car is searching for a gear(vacuum cleaner sound ) when I step on it half to 3/4 way on the throttle. For example if I am driving around 20-25mph and I step on the gas slowly 3/4 of the way, the car will struggle to get up to speed until I push it almost all the way (kick down button). On the highway, it is annoying when trying to pass cars, because it takes almost flooring the car. It has really been bugging me and I have researched everything regarding this problem, and concluded that the fix would be in getting new throttle position sensor. Do you guys think this will solve my issue, and if it will, how much does it cost? I would really appreciate your help as this is making me not like my car so much. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like your coolent pump
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
TPS (Throttle position sensor or something like that) - FrankW has a long thread on this I believe. Could be the pump if it's worse when car warms up.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Originally Posted by alkrstev
...(BTW i also have a new tranny, intercooler, and torque converter)...
jk...

By the way, do you discover this problem after you have all these done or you just discover the problem by now? I mean it was running fine with all these new stuff before?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
buy an OBD2 scanner..

if there is no CEL yet.. then check your IAT's.

TSP will throw a code and also bad wires or plugs..
Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 PM

2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
You should be able to diagnose the TPS with a multimeter, no? It just outputs a voltage. Better than throwing parts at the thing.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM

Not an AMG :(
I've been having some serious issues with sluggish acceleration and little to no response when I push the pedal...
...it will not downkick, and the car accelerates very slowly...
...It throws no CELs...
...If I floor it then everything is fine...
...it takes almost flooring the car...
...concluded that the fix would be in getting new throttle position sensor...
So, the issue seems to be the 'distance' traveled by the accelerator pedal?
i.e. Push a little - wimpy acceleration; Push to the kickdown simulator - the car takes off.
When you say the car accelerates very slowly, can we assume that engine speed (rpm) follows the same pattern?

Excuse the obvious, but......
Have you reset adaptations? (a.k.a. sneaky ECU reset)

The reason I ask is because:
If you normally drive like a granny, for 50% of pedal travel, you get 40% engine load 'released'.
If you normally drive like the 'Chicago-area-crowd' C32'ers, 50% pedal travel releases 80% engine load.
Thus, if the 'granny' mode is active, the accelerator will have to travel significantly more.
If your throttle body actuator did not open to the degree it should under WOT conditions, you wouldn't have normal power (however you say that you do when you floor the accelerator pedal).

If adaptation resetting doesn't do the job, then you could have an accelerator pedal sensor problem (sensor B37). Let us know if you need a schematic of B37.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by CLKCLK
jk...

By the way, do you discover this problem after you have all these done or you just discover the problem by now? I mean it was running fine with all these new stuff before?
I never really noticed the problem at the beginning until it really started bugging me. I thought because the c32 is supercharged, it is supposed to be like that. My brother has a C320 and the gas pedal is not like that, it responds right away and kicks down properly when pressure is applied on pedal.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by boohooramblers
So, the issue seems to be the 'distance' traveled by the accelerator pedal?
i.e. Push a little - wimpy acceleration; Push to the kickdown simulator - the car takes off.
When you say the car accelerates very slowly, can we assume that engine speed (rpm) follows the same pattern?

Excuse the obvious, but......
Have you reset adaptations? (a.k.a. sneaky ECU reset)

The reason I ask is because:
If you normally drive like a granny, for 50% of pedal travel, you get 40% engine load 'released'.
If you normally drive like the 'Chicago-area-crowd' C32'ers, 50% pedal travel releases 80% engine load.
Thus, if the 'granny' mode is active, the accelerator will have to travel significantly more.
If your throttle body actuator did not open to the degree it should under WOT conditions, you wouldn't have normal power (however you say that you do when you floor the accelerator pedal).

If adaptation resetting doesn't do the job, then you could have an accelerator pedal sensor problem (sensor B37). Let us know if you need a schematic of B37.
Thank you for your response boohooramblers. I definitely do not drive the car like a grandma. I drive it very aggressively most of the time. The rpm's climb slowly under 50% or less throttle. I have done the sneaky ECU reset multiple times, and while the car responds slightly better, it feels like there is no torque at low rpm's (unless I start from 0, or use the stick). I have to push the pedal 3/4 of the way to get any response besides sluggish acceleration. Another concern is why is the gas pedal so soft? Could you please give me a schematic of B37? Thanks.

Last edited by alkrstev; 03-02-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:55 PM

BTW, thanks to all you guys for the responses. Greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM

Thank you for your response boohooramblers. I definitely do not drive the car like a grandma. I drive it very aggressively most of the time. The rpm's climb slowly under 50% or less throttle. I have done the sneaky ECU reset multiple times, and while the car responds slightly better, it feels like there is no torque at low rpm's (unless I start from 0, or use the stick). I have to push the pedal 3/4 of the way to get any response besides sluggish acceleration. Another concern is why is the gas pedal so soft? Could you please give me a schematic of B37? Thanks.
My understanding is that the accelerator pedal sensor (B37) is basically 2 glorified potentiometers that sends a signal to the ECU (as illustrated below) based on voltage.
This leads to the appropriate (or inappropriate) efferent signal from the ECU to the throttle body actuator (M16/1).

Out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to have a 'SprintBooster' installed, would you?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM

No, my car is stock and I don't beleive it came with a sprintbooster from the previous owner. Where would the sprint booster be located if there was one installed?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
No, my car is stock and I don't beleive it came with a sprintbooster from the previous owner. Where would the sprint booster be located if there was one installed?
Plugged in with the throttle pedal. Take a peek at the base of the pedal. Not likely you have one if it wasn't mentioned to you though.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:06 PM

Thanks again for that image Boohooramblers. I guess it could be the B37 sensor. But does it have anything to do with the softness of the pedal? I guess I am going to have to call the mb dealership and ask them how much it costs, but they will probably want to replace the entire gas pedal assembly.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Plugged in with the throttle pedal. Take a peek at the base of the pedal. Not likely you have one if it wasn't mentioned to you though.
I am going to check up on that as soon as I can. Probably this thursday, but I dont think I have one installed.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
My understanding is that the accelerator pedal sensor (B37) is basically 2 glorified potentiometers that sends a signal to the ECU (as illustrated below) based on voltage.
This leads to the appropriate (or inappropriate) efferent signal from the ECU to the throttle body actuator (M16/1).

Out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to have a 'SprintBooster' installed, would you?

Hey boohoorambler, do you think the sprintbooster will effect the gas pedal? B/c when i had my TPS changed,( it was the complete set) they do not sell the senser by itself. Anwyaz.... just thought i thorw this qs in here, if the sprintbostet would effect the tps... since i have one in the car.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1qikctr
Hey boohoorambler, do you think the sprintbooster will effect the gas pedal? B/c when i had my TPS changed,( it was the complete set) they do not sell the senser by itself. Anwyaz.... just thought i thorw this qs in here, if the sprintbostet would effect the tps... since i have one in the car.
The SprintBooster is, in essence, the world's most expensive potentiometer! (written from somebody who has one!)
The SprintBooster merely gives the 'feeling' of being faster; however, it doesn't do anything except 'amplify' the signal coming from the accelerator pedal sensor per unit distance traveled.
i.e. you get full throttle response by the throttle actuator (M16/1 in the diagram above) about 25% quicker (assuming you're 'giving it the beans').

Importantly, you can achieve the exact same result by making the accelerator pedal travel further the old-fashioned way!.
So....the SprintBooster basically tells the ECU that the gas pedal has traveled further than it actually has.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
I'm having my TPS fixed right now. I'm on vacation so I had my mechanic send out my TPS to BBA Remanufacturing for a rebuild. $400 for the rebuild plus labor. I think labor is about $160.

Let you know how it goes.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Talking

Importantly, you can achieve the exact same result by making the accelerator pedal travel further the old-fashioned way!.
So....the SprintBooster basically tells the ECU that the gas pedal has traveled further than it actually has.
Very true but boy the Sprintbooster feels sooooo good
Old 03-02-2009, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Thanks for the reply, So, the sprintbooster does not effect the gas pedal. I thought it can cost the TPS problems in the long run. Guess not from what your explan.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
I'm having my TPS fixed right now. I'm on vacation so I had my mechanic send out my TPS to BBA Remanufacturing for a rebuild. $400 for the rebuild plus labor. I think labor is about $160.

you mean you are having the throttle body rebuilt? or the pedal sensor rebuilt?

anyway, as most of you probably already figure out. OP's issue is with the sensor on the pedal, not the throttle body itself. The issue I had which was mentioned threw bunch of codes which was related to the pedal as well as oil leak causing TCU to go haywire. For whatever reason I also got a new TB out of it.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:45 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz

anyway, as most of you probably already figure out. OP's issue is with the sensor on the pedal, not the throttle body itself. The issue I had which was mentioned threw bunch of codes which was related to the pedal as well as oil leak causing TCU to go haywire. For whatever reason I also got a new TB out of it.

you can't get the sensor on the pedal by itself from parts, but if you do have warranty the dealership only replaces the sensor itself which makes you wonder why the hell I can't just spent less to get the sensor instead of the entire pedal.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by FrankW

you can't get the sensor on the pedal by itself from parts, but if you do have warranty the dealership only replaces the sensor itself which makes you wonder why the hell I can't just spent less to get the sensor instead of the entire pedal.
I got a question FrankW, I still have extended warranty for another 20 days. My car is not throwing any codes, and mercedes says the car is fine and wont fix my problem with my gas pedal. How much does it cost to replace the entire gas pedal?
Old 08-22-2014, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Sorry to revive this but I got the P0120 (Generic TPS/Pedal positioning sensor A circuit malfunction)and this thread being so long ago...I was wondering what exactly has to be changed? The accelerator pedal sensor or something else? BTW I do have a Sprint Booster.....but if I read correctly my problem isn't from that at all...I'm trying not to spend unnecessary money on parts I don't need...TIA

BTW since it's been 6 years since this thread was created do you still have to buy a full pedal or are individual parts sold?

Last edited by c32used; 08-22-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
P0120 (Generic TPS/Pedal positioning sensor A circuit malfunction)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C32 acceleration/gas pedal problem...