Changed my intake - 3" tubing/no baffles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Changed my intake - 3" tubing/no baffles

I got a wild hair up my butt and decided to try something new. Not sure if anyone has done anything like this yet, or if it's any better than stock but I was bored.
Initially I took out the stock silencers/baffles in the front of the intake box. That left a big gap and wouldn't seal then. I had to go to O'Reiley's for a few other things anyway and found some 3" flex tubing with 2 adapters in the kit. Whole kit was $19.95.
Basically I took out the box portion where the baffles went and removed that entire section. The I cut off the end that goes at the very front of the intake and plugs into where the baffle box thing was. So now it connects to the stock front end and goes straight into the 3" tubing and runs direct into the intake box.
My thought (could be wrong) is it's not only larger in diameter, but should flow more air less restricted. Although it still has the same choke point at the front of the intake filter box since it's not a perfect circle. I had to make the circle fit a square peg so to speak. I used 3M weather stripping sealer to seal it all up. Dries fast, has a very strong bond, comes off easily if need be and remains flexible.
In the end it looks fairly "factory" and if nothing else gives more intake/SC noise, which I like. Is it good for any hp/tq gains? Your guess is as good as mine, but I would like to think it has "some" gain.
Here are a few pics from along the way and the final product. Yes I know under the hood is filthy. The weather has been crap here lately. Those looking closely will notice the leaf in my box as well in the close up. It has since been removed.
Attached Thumbnails Changed my intake - 3" tubing/no baffles-new-intake-001.jpg   Changed my intake - 3" tubing/no baffles-new-intake-003.jpg   Changed my intake - 3" tubing/no baffles-new-intake-004.jpg   Changed my intake - 3" tubing/no baffles-new-intake-010.jpg   Changed my intake - 3" tubing/no baffles-new-intake-011.jpg  

Changed my intake - 3" tubing/no baffles-new-intake-012.jpg  
Old 03-27-2009, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
hmm. interesting. on my old intake setup, i had removed the baffles and had that gap that wouldnt seal. this is an interesting idea though. i would imagine it may flow better. but i think the most air you can force in is that at the restriction point. which i think for you right now are your airboxes and possibly your splitter, though i am undecided about the code3 intake setup, which is why i say possibly. At higher speeds, i think the stock splitter even with code3 becomes restriction because so much air is going into the intake from the ram air setup.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
It looks like you bought that horse from Kragen for $19? Go to Homedepot and buy a better one for couple dollars
The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (06-29-2019)
Old 03-27-2009, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by CLKCLK
It looks like you bought that horse from Kragen for $19? Go to Homedepot and buy a better one for couple dollars
LOL The flex tube was $0.25....the rubber fittings in the kit must have been the big $$ parts.
Nah, it's better than it looks in the pictures. It's better than the stock parts were at least. Better in that it's actually stronger and more flexible/bendable. It's not a dryer hose, which I know it looks like.haha
Old 03-27-2009, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Good job! I'm going to try the CLK350 tubes to my airbox. I just wish the 2 air inlets/scoops above the rad were a bit larger..
Old 03-28-2009, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
its looks decent. Good job cheap HP.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Looks good. It just might work to 'gain' some power.
Have you checked the heat range of this material?
Engine compartment temperature changes drastically from cold to hot and then cold, etc.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 60n5pt1
Looks good. It just might work to 'gain' some power.
Have you checked the heat range of this material?
Engine compartment temperature changes drastically from cold to hot and then cold, etc.
I have not, but I've been researching different heat wraps and will be covering it all, to include the bottom of the intake boxs. After a few quick trips I popped the hood to see how everything looked and the intake is soaking up a ton of heat. I'm just trying to figure out how I want to wrap them. It has to work first and foremost, but I also don't want it to look like something that's getting ready for a lunar landing.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:14 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i had that problem too when the tab was broken on the 32 airbox where the baffle is. simple solution was zip-tie.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
The ribs in the intake may prevent laminar airflow, effectively reducing the air mass flowing through it.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
The ribs in the intake may prevent laminar airflow, effectively reducing the air mass flowing through it.
I had thought about that as well causing turbulence. I pushed the tubing together as much as possible to prevent that. I still think it would flow better than stock.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
this tube could effectively only make the air flow size slightly smaller than the lowest point of the corrugated ribs. It is due to air that gets stuck at the at the higher peaks of the corrugated ribs. The trapped air starts to create pressure only allowing in a limited amount.

I would go with some silicone hose. You can yet it in all sorts of sizes, bends, colors etc... The stuff is cheap enough with some searching.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Best way to test is to dyno with original setup then this setup then track it the same order...while you may have advantage in creating HP you may suffer getting enough pressure of air at higher RPM range...smooth non-ribbed piping may fair better for both HP and actual driving performance my friend. You can always heat wrap the materials you use...there are stuff you can buy to wrap it against the heat.

Nice idea though If I had the original C32 airboxes I may have tried something similar.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Nice set up-I agree with Hooley boy-and about the temps (I've melted many a things in there before...). It looks like the RV tubing I picked up for a brake duct cooling kit for the C55 I'm working on....damn wash fluid resovoir.....hello trunk
if it makes more noise-it makes it faster....think cards in the spokes
Old 03-30-2009, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by rockjock
if it makes more noise-it makes it faster....think cards in the spokes
EXACTLY!haha
Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Thanks for the tutorial! I was washing my car today when I decided to open up my hood. found out I had bad piping and remembered this post and decided to give it a whirl. So far works great, Love the little extra SC sound it gave me.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 PM

AMG C32
Having read this thread, I pulled the intake baffles apart and wound up using 3 inch ID silicon hose( I went with black "Aeroflow" hose). The hose deforms enough to fit over the intake scoop accordion hose with a little careful twisting onto it ( do this end first)and the back end fits into the air box intakes and butts up to the stop without gaps. I smeared a little silicone auto sealant around the inside lip of the air box intake join to make sure there was no air gap and to hold it in. I made the hoses 200 mm ( actual was 210mm on the ac comp side and 190mm on the alternator side). This without cutting any std parts so it can all be put back to std but i'll try it for reliability first then cut at the scoop hose ends and fit longer sil hoses. You could say 240mm if you want to cut the intake accordion Hoses at the intake scoops and join on there for a clean look. The silicon hose will withstand plenty of heat and of course has a smooth inner surface. No need for any hose clamps, it all holds itself in as an "interference fit".
All done inside a half hour once youve got the hose. I'll try this out tomorrow and follow up.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 AM

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
I´ve got this model, but black.