C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C#2 Traction Control Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG
C#2 Traction Control Problem

Can someone help me with an intermittent problem? My traction control indicator flashes and the wheels are NOT slipping. I can decelerate and try to accelerate and it still flashes. If I accelerate the tach climbs, but I have very restricted acceleration. After about 200 yards it stops. I have manually shifted and sometimes that gets me out of it. It is while I am in sport mode. Any ideas what is going on?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by Houston C32
Can someone help me with an intermittent problem? My traction control indicator flashes and the wheels are NOT slipping. I can decelerate and try to accelerate and it still flashes. If I accelerate the tach climbs, but I have very restricted acceleration. After about 200 yards it stops. I have manually shifted and sometimes that gets me out of it. It is while I am in sport mode. Any ideas what is going on?
Yes. Your ESP is working.

At least, I am assuming that the ESP works the same on your C#2 as it does on my C32.

The flashing light means your ESP is stopping the wheels from spinning. It will cut power to the offending wheels as needed to keep traction. Try tuning the ESP off (it is actually semi-off) to see if your acceleration is better. You will see a little wheel spin before the ESP feels inclined to jump in and spoil the fun.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Sounds like normal operation to me. When it's blinking it just means it's doing it's thing, which is why you don't have wheel spin...the ESP is preventing it hence, it flashes.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 PM

2003 C32 AMG
I understand, but it is not during a situation where wheel spin is even remotely expected - Gradual acceleration, dry pavement, etc. When I take my foot off the gas and decelerate it still flashes. In fact when I try during wet conditions when I know I will get wheel spin, it momentarily flashes. When I lift off the pedal it stops - completely different than the other situations.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by Houston C32
I understand, but it is not during a situation where wheel spin is even remotely expected - Gradual acceleration, dry pavement, etc. When I take my foot off the gas and decelerate it still flashes. In fact when I try during wet conditions when I know I will get wheel spin, it momentarily flashes. When I lift off the pedal it stops - completely different than the other situations.
Well, that's something different, all together. These cars are known for their electrical boogie-men. This sounds like a visit to the dealer.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:48 AM

2003 C32 AMG
That is what I thought, but thanks for trying.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
Try resetting it.

Disconnect the battery, wait for 30 minutes or so, plug it back in.

You will see an ESP warning on the dash. Turn you steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. Take the steering wheel back to its center position and turn off the car.

Turn it back on and see if it helps. Otherwise, you will have to take it to the dealer. I recommend A-Rod MB.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:21 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Thanks. I'll try that. I use ARod.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:12 PM

2003 C32 AMG
I never followed up on this, but it turned out when I had a tire replaced under warranty, the tire store replaced the rear tire with the wrong size. It was 5 mm smaller in profile, thus under turning it spun slightly faster. This triggered the ESP. They replaced the tire with the correct size and it fixed it.