C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Recommend shocks for my C32 - HR Lowered

Old 02-13-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32
Originally Posted by splinter
Given its decent thrust, my C32’s original chassis was dreadfully mismatched as delivered. AMG substantially improved the W203’s capabilities in its later iterations. Its documented Nürburgring Nordschleife performance and reputable periodicals during the C’s heyday have repeatedly proven same.

A comfy ride and acceptable behavior while approaching the limit of adhesion are still mutually exclusive in my experience. Note Zeppelin’s “probably twice as stiff” post. Ridden in a 997 with PSM recently? I’ve unabashedly strayed toward the performance end of the compromise. Your experience may differ significantly, although having piloted an M3 I suspect it wouldn’t. A sound strategy has typically been to improve that end which consistently contributes less than its fair share to the cornering equation.

Perhaps you can catch up with stalwart Canadian member PC Valkyrie during one of his track days. He’s given a solid go against many a ‘faster’ machine with his PS2- and Renntech airbox-equipped (but otherwise stock) C55.

There’s certainly nothing wrong with exploiting OE parts for retrofitting purposes if they’ll help to serve your objectives. Respectfully suggest you needn’t be too concerned with rear spring rate during the initial phase of upgrading since, as you’ve already noted, they’re easily swapped. Not to belabor the point, Affalterbach had occasion to fit a curious selection of 202, 203 and 210 springs to the rear of the C32 and C55.

Thank you for posting the springs as fitted to the c32/c55s. As you stated, The specific fitment would depend on a number of factors including the estate (wagon) version not available in NA. I'm still searching for the official Mercedes information regarding the specific c55 suspension upgrades from the c32.

I'm just beginning to learn vehicle dynamics and driving techniques the past 2 years and appreciate the experience and knowledge everyone on this forum has shared. As my mileage is starting to creep into the zone where the dampers are showing their age, upgraded dampers and springs in a logical systematic manner will hopefully enhance my experience on the track without breaking the bank.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
I haven't read too many complaints about people running stock shocks on lowered springs alone.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by 03MBC32
.......I'm still searching for the official Mercedes information regarding the specific c55 suspension upgrades from the c32......
Here is some information, taken from Mercedes Enthusiast magazine:

"Compared to the C32, the C55's AMG springs are uprated by 20% (stiffer) in the front, with no change in the rear. The uprated dampers are digressive and have been increased by 30% in bounce and 10% in rebound at the front, and 15% in bounce and 10% in rebound at the rear. The bearings of the front suspension are stiffer to improve steering feel and geometric precision. The elastokinematics were reworked on both axles: Both the tension strut on the McPherson three-link front axle and the spring suspension link of the multi-link independent rear suspension are harder."
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 AM

2003 C32
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Here is some information, taken from Mercedes Enthusiast magazine:

"Compared to the C32, the C55's AMG springs are uprated by 20% (stiffer) in the front, with no change in the rear. The uprated dampers are digressive and have been increased by 30% in bounce and 10% in rebound at the front, and 15% in bounce and 10% in rebound at the rear. The bearings of the front suspension are stiffer to improve steering feel and geometric precision. The elastokinematics were reworked on both axles: Both the tension strut on the McPherson three-link front axle and the spring suspension link of the multi-link independent rear suspension are harder."
Thank you for posting this.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, E93 M3
Yes, thanks for posting that.

Splinter, do you have the PN for the C55 strut bearings?

In one of your other posts you listed 203 320 02 73 but I believe this is for the c32
Old 02-18-2011, 09:56 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I've just purchased the C55 front struts this week. I have decided to try out the H&R springs as opposed to going with the C55 front springs only. My main concern is how the H&R's perform on the track. For obvious reasons, I won't be getting to that till months from now. I will let you guys know how the setup works out. Zeppelin seems happy with this setup from what I've read in previous threads. I really just needed feedback on this setup from someone who actually tracks their car. I have an H&R rear sway bar going on as well. C55 rear shocks going on sometime in the near future. I hope I've chosen the correct route.

Zeppelin, you are running #4 rear spring pads with those H&R's correct?

Pics and review to come shortly.

thanks,

Bryan

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-19-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by SYZYGY
Yes, thanks for posting that.

Splinter, do you have the PN for the C55 strut bearings?

In one of your other posts you listed 203 320 02 73 but I believe this is for the c32
203 320 02 73 is the current part number for the OE Sachs-Boge upper mount throughout the W203 and W209 AMG lineup.
Except the CLK Black Series, of course.

At ~$50 each, it’s false economy not to renew them concurrently when one has his struts disassembled.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
203 320 02 73 is the current part number for the OE Sachs-Boge upper mount throughout the W203 and W209 AMG lineup.

At ~$50 each, it’s false economy not to renew them concurrently when one has his struts disassembled.
Would the CLK Black Series fit our car and if so what is the part #?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:40 AM

2002 C32 AMG

Thanks for part numbers once again. It saves me the time and trouble having to deal with the ******** at the Merc dealer.

It's times like these that I'm jealous of Japanese imports. They always have aftermarket urethane replacement parts readily available. The C32 could definitely do with some upgrades to improve steering response/feel. My M3 puts this car to shame. PC Valkyrie posted some info on the differences between the C32 and C55 suspension. Aside from the dampers and springs, I have no idea what the other items are. Can someone elaborate, how costly and difficult are the other components to replace?

thanks,

Bryan

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-19-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by loudandheard
Would the CLK Black Series fit our car and if so what is the part #?
No, the CLK BS is quite different.

Its revised upper mount, among myriad other tweaks, accounts in no small part for car’s exceptional handling.

Originally Posted by Autotechnica
Thanks for part numbers once again. It saves me the time and trouble having to deal with the ******** at the Merc dealer.
It's times like these that I'm jealous of Japanese imports. They always have aftermarket urethane replacement parts readily available. The C32 could definitely do with some upgrades to improve steering response/feel. My M3 puts this car to shame. PC Valkyrie posted some info on the differences between the C32 and C55 suspension. Aside from the dampers and springs, I have no idea what the other items are. Can someone elaborate, how costly and difficult are the other components to replace?
You’re welcome. I’m always willing to share my database with another enthusiast.
You are correct that few marques have been able to successfully replicate the M3’s steering feel. Matching or surpassing their cornering speed is certainly possible.

MB revised and superseded suspension bushings several times during this chassis’ evolution. Specifically to your bushing inquiry (listed C32/C55 respectively), caster arm: 203 333 02 14 & 211 333 11 14; rear spring arm: 203 352 00 65 & 202 352 01 65. A new camber arm bushing will have 203 333 09 14 specified for both variants. Not coincidentally, mine has the C55 parts where applicable. Much of the improvement from having installed them was likely due to simply replacing worn original parts.

Although it’s easy enough to have a competent shop press in new bushings, I’d suggest thoroughly inspecting the arms’ integral ball joints, since they’re also subject to premature wear.

Have you considered K-Mac bushings? I didn’t install them due to NVH concerns (it’s my wife’s daily driver), but they’ve proven a worthwhile upgrade for dedicated track duty.
They not only allow markedly less deflection, but also substantially increased alignment adjustments. reference & reference.

A friend who’s selling his C has a set available.

photo credit smgC32
Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Wow, thanks for the response. You are definitely a wealth of knowledge.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 PM

02 C32 AMG, 2012 S550
LOL let us see the results and I would love to know exactly who it feels/responds etc.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:50 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Just an update...

Sold the H&R springs, opted for the C55 front struts/springs and C55 rear shocks. I also installed the H&R rear sway bar. Also replaced the strut mounts. First impressions are good. I love how the car rides. It's stiff, but not overly stiff. The roads here are smooth, so I didn't complain even when I had KW coilovers on 75% stiff. The most noticeable thing were the dampers. They are significantly stiffer, but I haven't had an opportunity to do any real spirited driving. My RE11's don't like -10 degree celcius temps. The front suspension before was definitely way overdamped. Definitely benefited from the stiffer springs. I feel like the front end may benefit from a thicker sway bar as well. However, I won't be sure till I have the car on the track late April. I currently have the rear H&R sway bar set to full stiff. There is still quite a noticeable amount of understeer from what I've experienced so far. I may decide to unstagger the wheels/tires in the future. The car is also a lot more stable now at highway speeds thanks to the stiffer dampers and lower ride height. It tracks a lot straighter and doesn't tend to wander as much, especially on windy days.

Anyways, as far as ride height goes, it would barely appear "lowered" to anyone who didn't know these cars. I noticed the difference. It would have been nice if it were another .5-1" lower, but I can live with it. The fender gap stock is ridiculous! Now the ride height looks more sporty like a BMW with sports package suspension. Still looks very stock though. I will take pictures and post here to show you guys how much it lowered. I don't know if there is any spring settling involved. However, if the AMG/Eibach springs are anything like the prokit springs I've had in the past, they will settle quite a bit.

I paid about $1200CDN for parts alone. I'm quite happy with the results and especially the fact that it's still on OEM AMG/Eibach parts. I'm not a huge fan of mixing and matching parts. I'd rather leave it to the pros at AMG. In the end, it's your car. You must set it up to how you drive, so there is no perfect setup. I'm getting old, so this setup is the more streetable setup.

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 03-26-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:35 AM

2002 C230 Coupe 1999 Mazda Miata
Autotechnica, can you post pics of your ride height with the C55 suspension?

I need to lower the front of my C32 and I'm not quite sure what to buy to maintain ride quality and improve handling.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:12 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jahoo
Autotechnica, can you post pics of your ride height with the C55 suspension?

I need to lower the front of my C32 and I'm not quite sure what to buy to maintain ride quality and improve handling.
Will do, I noticed you're in Ontario, Canada. I am as well. I have a set of C55 springs if you're interested. The car is on 18" rims, so it looks a bit higher than it should. It should look a bit better on the stock 17" rims. Either way, there was enough of a drop that I noticed it immediately. You'll definitely notice an improvement in handling. Here are some pics...

Last edited by Autotechnica; 07-01-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:24 AM

2002 C32 AMG
For comparison... here's my car with completely stock suspension. I can't believe how jacked this thing is stock. Car has come a long way in just over a year of ownership.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 07-01-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:47 PM

I'm on the same 18" wheels (non staggered) at the moment but the stock US ride height is terrible. I was considering changing to H&R springs and keeping stock shocks until i read this thread. I had a pullied C230 coupe on Bilstein sports/H&R springs/AMG sways that handled better than my stock C32, but it sounds like the setup wouldn't be as good for the heavier C32.

The C55 front looks just higher than I would have liked, I wonder if it's possible to cut half a coil and get it that 1/2 inch lower.

How is the ride compared to stock?

I imagine stiffening the front end 30% will induce some additional understeer, do you feel that's the case?

Do you have a TCU tune?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:56 PM

The Gap. Looks higher than yours did stock.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C32
Just throwing this out there (Please dont flog me!!!)

I bought a c32 just over a year ago. Am absolutely in love with the beast. I am not wealthy nor do i have abundant cash to throw at my car for repairs. I use the car very liberally for this same reason. No tracking or drags or burnouts etc. i just love the comfort and of course the beautiful v6 and charger and what it does when i press flat down on the gas.
My suspension is now slightly worst for wear and as such i have been shopping for 'cheap' replacement parts. I dont stay in the states so i cant get all those nice cheap goodies on ebay either.

Now for my question.
Will standard w203 suspension part like shocks, control arms, bushes etc be a direct fit to my car or are they C32 specific? Coz they look the same as standard w203 parts.
Thanks (Appreciate all types of inputs)
Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 AM

2002 C32 AMG
I haven't had a real positive experiece owning my C32. It's a very high maintenance car. If you're not willing to spend money to keep it running, it's going to be more headaches than it worth for you in the long run. That being said, if you're on a budget, you can use standard W203 C class parts. They are all interchangeable. I don't recommend using standard C class shocks with the AMG springs. They won't be valved correctly and the shocks might be too soft. BTW, aftermarket shocks/springs should be cheaper than OEM replacements. I just hope you aren't considering putting on no name brand shocks. I don't want to discourage you from owning this car, but honestly if you're on a budget, the C32 really isn't a good car to own. Higher milage cars are a potential money pit.

Bry
Old 05-14-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C32
Autotechnica thanks for the advise. I am looking at a reputable brand of shocks and meyle type quality parts for my car. the problem is just that for the C32 a control arm is say for example R 1000.00 and for a standard w203 its R 500.00. Just because its for a 'C32' the price doubles and triples. I can afford the normal good stuff just not the 'C32' stuff.
Makes sense? BTW the car is a garage queen. I have another car that is a DD.
Really appreciate your advice.
Thanks
Old 05-19-2015, 07:44 PM

C32 amg
H&r springs

Can you post up a picture or your set up. I'm trying to decides if to go with springs or coils. Thanks
Old 03-25-2019, 02:37 PM

2004 Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG
Just ordered a set of H&R springs for my 2004 c32. Do I need to also replace my shocks? Or am I okay with running these springs on my current OE shocks? Thanks
Old 09-14-2019, 07:06 PM

2006 Mercedes-Benz AMG E55 Kompressor 2003 Mercedes-Benz AMG C32 Kompressor
Hi Splinter or Autotechnica , I looked at a couple of threads that you guys were in about Suspension upgrades for a C32... Looking to either use Kona adjustable along with H&R lowering spring or with C55 springs or even the latter of Full H&R Coilovers.... Looking for a raked stance and most of the fender gap taken up with good handling for spirited Street driving... Could you please advise from you experience and I wasn't sure from the picture you did post with it lowered on what combo gave you a lowered rake stance... If you could also send me picture of different stances you achieved with different combos would be greatly appreciated... Hope to be hearing from you soon. Roland Navalta / Ikaika808