C55 Reliability Woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by power-fade
I think the C55 needs to driven hard and the ME (motor electronics) will not give you any problems.
Agreed. I bought my C55 with 26400 miles on it and its given me zero problems aside from eating up the rear tires too fast

I punch it at least several times after its warmed up whenever I drive it...otherwise why drive it just to go slow?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by bugsydad
My 2005 C55 has had been a very trouble prone car. I bought it when it was 2 years old with 21K miles. I have had it 20 months and it is now at 44k. In that time all of the following have been replaced, srs wiriing harness, seat heater control panel, both seat heaters, purge valve, both side marker bulbs, side marker housing, battery, seat heater (second time), steering angle sensor, purge valve (second time), air mass meter, crankshaft position sensor, thrust bushings, end link bushings, xenon headlight bulb, headlight control unit. In addition to these parts, it has had two oil leaks causing burnt oil smell in the cabin, the starter bolts were loose causing the starter to rattle, and the tires wore out prematurely because the dealer installed the tires wrong. The total shop time for all of these repairs has been over 6 weeks. While I love the look and feel of the car, it has become so frustrating, I really detest owning it any longer. I keep hoping the trouble will end, but it never seems to. I have only had it out of the shop for 1 week in the last 6 weeks. I am fortunate that I bought an extended warranty and they cover the rental car replacement, but the hassle factor has become huge.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I cannot decide what to do. I do not want to push this lemon off on anyone else and I can’t stand owning it any longer. Any thoughts on what you would do in this situation?
Yup. These cars aren't particularly reliable unfortunately. My C32 has had lots of issues, most of them, fortunately, happened during the CPO warranty period. Thrust arm bushings, defective seat heaters (the dealer replaced them in '08 and they driver's side is out Again), a defective steering rack, two annoying and expensive stepper motor issues, a bad auxilary heating pump, a CD player that likes to eat a CD every now and again, and, most recently, a bad intercooler pump. It only has 53k miles on it and is not abused or modified in any way.

I first thought some of this had to do with the fact that mine's a very early build car (09/01) but all of them seem to have these problems. About the only common problems I haven't experienced are the glycol contamination in the transmission and the tranny jerk (knock on wood, LOL!).

By contrast, our '06 Acura RSX Type-S has almost 30k on the odometer and has only been in the shop for oil changes.

Still love the car though, and don't intend to sell it. I guess you have to find a good independent mechanic or DYI as much as you can.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:19 PM

2005 C55, 2008 E320 CDI
common issues

Hi, most of those problems are quite normal for all mercedes. Especially the xexon issue there was a tsb for our cars and including the 209, 211, and 220 chassis to replace the controllers with a updated part and included the bulbs. Did you complain about all of those issues or did the Dealer find them?? Just wanted to know because it sounds like they where hunting for work.. The not known issue items I would be worried about is the steering angle sensor and the starter bolts. In the past 8 years of working for Benz I haven't seen either of those issues. But I think we all have replaced our lower control arm bushings or thrust arm bushings which is common on Mercs, bmw's, and porsche's. Well I hope your car doesn't give you anymore issues. If you want any copies of the tsb's they should have performed on your car get in touch with me..
Old 05-23-2009, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by rockjock
Tell me you're not really giving up the Scion for a Benz?!
I see more and more 05's having bugs then the 06's-but with anything that has lots of parts, theres lots to go wrong-all in all-great cars!
This might be true. I don't see any 06 owners complaining about these problems and I had no problems with my car other than what the crappy HPS SC kit did to two piston rings.

I'm glad I changed all the control arms in the rear now that I hear there are problems with the thrust and end-link bushings.

Last edited by AMGSC; 05-23-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Here are few problems I had.

1. Seat heaters.. I gave up on these.. Bottom part doesn't work.
2. CPS
3. Battery
4. A/C... There were leaks
5. Oil / Transmission fluid leak: Seals were changed
6. Radio.. Sometime CD / Radio won't work.. After few hour, it goes back to normal. Weird huh?

Other than that, it's a solid car... Love it...
Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 AM

C55 AMG
Just an update. Since this posting it has been back twice. They replaced the controller for the headlight and that seems to have stopped the erratic headlight behavior. It took 4 tries. Today it did not start properly. I am guessing the CPS which was replaced 4 weeks ago is bad again. After my last visit, they offered me $2k off on a new Mercedes, which in this economy was a nice thought but my guess is that most dealers would knock $2k off for anyone who was buying a new car. At this point, I am going to run at Mercedes North America one more time and ask them to buy the car back. It is pointless to own it. I can't even take it on a road trip in the west because it is too likely I will be stranded in mountains somewhere. I appreciate all the comments both those who have solid cars and those who don't. I don't think these are driving style or care issues. Electronics should not fail whether you drive the car hard or easy. I am no engineer, but I bet there is a fundamental voltage regulation problem in this electrical system that keeps frying things. But nobody is looking for root causes, they just keep plugging in new parts and charging the warranty company. I have not got a plan yet, but I can't keep a car that breaks down this much.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Sorry to hear about the forum members who have persistent problems with their C55. Despite these stories, I still think the C55 is a relatively reliable car for most owners.

In my 4 years of ownership (with the first 3 years being a complete daily driver through the summer and winter), the only things that has gone wrong are a sunroof module replacement during one of my once a year visits to the dealership for routine servicing and a more recent water leak from one of the sunroof drainage tracts that was fixed easily. The car has amazed me with its reliability despite the occasional track day (which has resulted in premature wearing of the front brake pads and rotors). The car still feels solid with no rattles. The initial 4 year warranty is up and I do intend to keep this car for a LONG time. Even my service advisor at the dealership suggested it probably isn't necessary to buy the extended warranty given the history of my car. He is one of the select few service advisors in Canada who went to Affalterbach for specialized training for future Performance Centres and told me that our engine/powertrain/transmission is probably the most reliable product AMG has in their in recent history.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:52 PM

c55 2007 ducati 999 1991 skyline gt-r fully restored and heavily modded
05 c55 27 000 KM only thing leaky tranny but known problem with that tranny just a simple o ring
Old 06-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 C55 AMG, '05 Toyota Sequoia
Originally Posted by AMG Sleeper
+1

my sunroof motor was messed up 2 different times but the dealer fixed it no charge when i went for service, so not a big issue).
happened to me too, the sunroof wouldn't close all the way and when you try to open it, it just won't go all the way in one smooth motion. All you have to do is just keep opening it till it's all teh way back and after that it will get reset and fixed by itself - that is what my service advisor told and showed me. No wonder they didn't charge you for that It happened one more time after that, so I fixed it the same way myself.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:09 AM

2005 M-B C55
My 2005 C55 lemon...

I purchased this car six months ago with 23k miles, impeccable in/out. Pewter/blk.
Since then, front bushings/arms, rear shocks, all rear bushings, tie rods. Fuel pumps, alternator, fan, transmission oil leak, something making noise in the steering in tight manoeuvres not yet diagnosed. Also had to replace a $400+ sensor. Transmission at times goes to manual by itself. Although I really enjoy driving it, love the way it handles, the power, the grip, the agility, the sound, I can’t keep up with the repairs, the flatbeds, the time, the cost.
Hope most other C55s are more reliable! Don’t know if I dare take on another C55 or an E55, or even a MB at all. My wife has a 2011 C300. Transmission problems at 19k miles, now 23k. Back to the shop for second major transm repair. Going to sell that one too....
What on earth happened to MB reliability?
Many used to brag an easy 1million kms+. Now, can’t take it very far before it’s back to the pits over & over. A very unpleasant hassle.
Looking at Lexus ISF for the next purchase. Hopefully more reliable and therefore an enjoyable ownership.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Two options:

1 punt and get a new car under warranty..... Or

2 team up with some local mb enthusiasts and learn about your car,

Thru this forum and local resources I do most of my main in my garage.

The common items are DIY items that cost 1000's at the dealer.

Parts are relatively reasonable vs the cost of mb labor.

I suspect the dealership profit is in the service labor. ))
Old 03-24-2013, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
The C55 is probably one of the most reliable cars MB has. A lot of your complaints are maintenance that I replaced on my own without them going bad, so you really shouldn't be upset about them.

1. Battery
2. Bulbs
3. Bushings
4 End links
5. tire wear from improperly installed tires?

These should be non-issues if you expect these not to go bad you have too high expectations for any vehicle. I have never had any of the other issues you have but the CPS takes a beating on the car and is normal to go bad after time. Its the same on any benz even the newer ones. I have 130k miles and have barely spent any money on ony repairs only maintenance. My girls reliable Honda civic has cost me over 6k with buying all OEM parts and free labor. So I have spent more than the car is worth in repairs. Things could be far worse, I think you are just feeling how brutal dealer prices can be and not what the actual issues are. Where do you live maybe I can help you finding a good tech, my mechanic cleans my MAF out and the intake so I do not have these kind of issues. He owns a C55 and is a dealer tech, so he knows our cars inside and out.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
I've had mine for about 4 years now and it's got 37k miles it's been bulletproof!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
bought my C55 at 40,000 Km. sold at 80,000 Km. battery/tryes/pads/front end bushs/idler pulley/p/s/front seat senser works out if kid in seat. OE Tuned great car traded on C63 even greater car love it
Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM

2005 M-B C55
C55 feedback

Looks like my C55 is a little more troublesome than others.
I take it to an independent mechanic who handles Euro cars. Lower labor cost than MB dealer. I’ve even taken C300 to him. MB failed to diagnose problem. He did.
Frankly, you’re entitled to your opinion, but there seems to be no end to repairs on this particular one. I don’t want to live for a car. I need more freedom from shop.
I still have a C320 sport I bought new in ’03. Apart from a/c motors and scheduled maintenance, not a single issue.
Luck of the draw.
Enjoy yours.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM

2010 C63
Bought my 05 C55 in 2008 with 30K miles. Now it has 85K and the only issues I ever had is crank sensor and rear valve cover oil leak. Oh yes, trouble with chewing us tires but that is probably due to my driving.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:36 PM

2005 c55 amg, 99 E36 m3, 2007 FX35
Sorry to hear about the issues. I bought my 06 C55 with 61,000 miles and now 2 years later almost, it now has 92,000 miles the only issues have been one fuel pump(freak random issue from wht i understand) and a MAF sensor. Tires do go pretty fast but it depends on how its driven. These cars generally arent used as daily drivers by most people which can cause problems of its own(swelling seals causing leaks, ruined tires, etc.) than if you do drive it often you should be ready for normal wear and tear issues and maybe some random stuff here and there since mechanical things will fail over time. Hope it all works out for you
Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
ya i bought my 06 C55 with 60k miles on it a year ago and I'm at 72k right now. Only thing I've had is an electrical issue with my side mirror turn signal. Ended up replacing them with w204 arrow style and hard wiring it. Then just took it in for alignment and they found that my driver side strut bearing was leaking so they replaced both front bearings for $650 which I didn't consider that bad. Then went to pick my car up and found it was completely dead sitting in their parking lot. So they ran a test on my battery only to find it was dead and i needed a new one so this $150 trip turned into a $1000 trip but I'm ok with that after 12k miles.