Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) Discuss the C32 and C55 AMG.

Sponsored by CARiD
Click Here


Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8
Drives: C55 AMG
C55 Reliability Woes

My 2005 C55 has had been a very trouble prone car. I bought it when it was 2 years old with 21K miles. I have had it 20 months and it is now at 44k. In that time all of the following have been replaced, srs wiriing harness, seat heater control panel, both seat heaters, purge valve, both side marker bulbs, side marker housing, battery, seat heater (second time), steering angle sensor, purge valve (second time), air mass meter, crankshaft position sensor, thrust bushings, end link bushings, xenon headlight bulb, headlight control unit. In addition to these parts, it has had two oil leaks causing burnt oil smell in the cabin, the starter bolts were loose causing the starter to rattle, and the tires wore out prematurely because the dealer installed the tires wrong. The total shop time for all of these repairs has been over 6 weeks. While I love the look and feel of the car, it has become so frustrating, I really detest owning it any longer. I keep hoping the trouble will end, but it never seems to. I have only had it out of the shop for 1 week in the last 6 weeks. I am fortunate that I bought an extended warranty and they cover the rental car replacement, but the hassle factor has become huge.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I cannot decide what to do. I do not want to push this lemon off on anyone else and I canít stand owning it any longer. Any thoughts on what you would do in this situation?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

bugsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Super Member
 
alumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Troy, IL (near St. Louis, MO)
Posts: 718
Drives: 2005 C55K | S7
Send a message via AIM to alumar
sounds like someone had fun with the first 21k miles
__________________

** OLD CAR ** 2005 C55K AMG | Kleeman S7 |

Kleemann Twin-Screw Supercharger, ECU, Cams & Headers, Downpipes & Hiflow Cats, Fuel System, & 70mm Pully | W211 E55 Airbox setup | K&N Filters | Quaife LSD | Brembo GT Brakes| Brabus Suspension | H&R Sways|
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...-S7_642703.htm - Dragin'
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F...e-S_649025.htm - Finishing Tires off
12.109 @ 117.12 slip
alumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 552
Drives: 06 C55 AMG
I bought mine at 24K, now have 33 and zero issues here.

sucks to see all those issues with yours.. =/
__________________

2006 C55 AMG
Powerchip Tuned | Resonator/Secondary Cats Delete | Hankook V12 Evos | 15% Tint | Euro Smoked Corners | etc
SoCalC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,192
Drives: 06 C55, 09 E350
trade it in for a 63
__________________
Resonator + Rear Cats Deleted
JonMBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
power-fade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 306
Drives: "One Man. One Engine. One Ideal"
I think the C55 needs to driven hard and the ME (motor electronics) will not give you any problems.
__________________
06 C55
Ir-Ag (775)/Charcoal (841)

551,763,600,614,810,819,345,387,530
3M PPF

11 GLK350
Pd-Ag (792)/Black (101)

220,232,242,245,275,413,890,U22/396,512,518/
P31,236,428,600,615,619,772,775/218,550,739,810
power-fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
TemjinX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 5,034
Drives: 03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i think you got a c55 built on a monday or a friday.
TemjinX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Super Member
 
mkonei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delran, NJ
Posts: 694
Drives: 05 C55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Special View Post
I bought mine at 24K, now have 33 and zero issues here.

sucks to see all those issues with yours.. =/

pretty much the same for me. bought mine at 20k, now has 54k. the rocker cover oil leak, and bad marker lite sockets are pretty common problems that i personally consider minor.
mkonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MACHC5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,060
Drives: CLK63 Black, 600E, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise
I have a 2006 C55 with 39000 miles on it that has been steady at the Dealer fixing & replacing things that the first owner, I guess just never noticed.

My next item is the audio amp as the volume at times goes low and sounds like someone talking into a cardboard box. The 2nd next thing that I need to show the dealer is that the LCD display between the Speedo & Tach goes completely black on warm days.

Thank god I bought the 7-Yr 100K...

FLASH: Just went to the store with the wife and tried to restart the car multiple times right after parking it, the key turned on the radio & accessories but nothing as far as starting the car. Went to the arm rest and pushed the in-car wrench button for roadside service. After talking to MB road service we sat there just waiting for the roll-back to arrive. After some 30 mins I decided to try again and this time the engine started, so we called roadside and cancelled the tow truck, had wife get her car and follow me to leave the car at the dealer. Tomorrow morning I'll talk to them about what happened.

I'm starting to think it's a bad ground in the electrical system somewhere that's common to all these things happening.

Last edited by MACHC5; 05-10-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Something new just happened...
MACHC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
jmarais01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 60
Drives: 2001 C240, 2006 C55 AMG, 2007 Ducati 1098s, 2005 C240 4Matic Wagon
I got my '06 55 with 10k two years ago, its got 24k now, not a single problem.

The warrantee is up this september, any suggestions on a good extended warrantee?
jmarais01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MACHC5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,060
Drives: CLK63 Black, 600E, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise
MACHC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
c32used's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Elgin IL
Posts: 6,024
Drives: LET C32 2002
Send a message via Yahoo to c32used
Sorry about the issues
c32used is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 536
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by power-fade View Post
I think the C55 needs to driven hard and the ME (motor electronics) will not give you any problems.
+1

i have an 05, it had 21K on it when i got it, it's got 45K now... no major issues, just a couple service Bs that cost 700-800 this year and last to repair leaky tranny, flush brakes, etc. fortunately no major mechanical issues (my sunroof motor was messed up 2 different times but the dealer fixed it no charge when i went for service, so not a big issue).

whoever u bought it from must've KILLED it.... sorry man. good luck to u. why not sell it and get an E55?
__________________

2005 C55 AMG
--------------
Mods:
> CL-style grille
> Flat MB hood badge
> 19" rims (off E63/CLS63)
> HID fog lights
> 5.5 AMG badge
> AMG emblem on shift **** (finally!)
> Front indicators painted body color
> iPod-ready

Forthcoming mods:
> still debating on a CF lip and tinting the windows...
AMG Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 866
Drives: I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
If I didnt still have mine, I'd have swore you bought it from me...I'm not nice to cars-sorry to hear the bad luck!
rockjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10
Drives: scion xb
i'm considering a c55 in the near future ... (before the end of the year?). good to see people talk about these issues and what the possibilities are to give me a reality check. good luck with your car and hopefully i can get a (troublefree, knock on wood) nice one soon
evosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 866
Drives: I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Tell me you're not really giving up the Scion for a Benz?!
I see more and more 05's having bugs then the 06's-but with anything that has lots of parts, theres lots to go wrong-all in all-great cars!
rockjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Newzchspy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,841
Drives: KLEEMANN C55
Send a message via AIM to Newzchspy
Quote:
Originally Posted by c32used View Post
Sorry about the issues
They all have issues, drivers included My C32, except for the crank pulley has been pretty flawless save for one seat heater. She gets no rest in the summer, so I really cant complain. The ML 55 (same engine as C55) has been flawless save the known power steering line issue and it gets no winter rest.
__________________
Quote from KimoSaabe "I'm 19, and should want a Ferraserati 62,000 GTRABCDE with 8 billion horsepower, and tires wide enough to plug up the Gulf oil spill. But instead, I never thought I'd say this, I want a Hyundai."



Best C32 QTR. Mile: ET: 12.76 109.22 MPH Pilot Sport II Tires; 93 pump Gas; Mods:Code3 Pulley, LET Intake & Tune.[SOLD]

Keeping IT Real ONE post at a time!!
Newzchspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chester County
Posts: 121
Drives: 2006 C55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjock View Post
Tell me you're not really giving up the Scion for a Benz?!
I see more and more 05's having bugs then the 06's-but with anything that has lots of parts, theres lots to go wrong-all in all-great cars!
+1 and agree X 100,00,00%

You will hear the "horror stories" on any board you choose. I have an 06' with 35K and not one problem (knocking on wood).
madC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #18
Super Member
 
60n5pt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 502
Drives: 2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHC5 View Post
I have a 2006 C55 with 39000 miles on it that has been steady at the Dealer fixing & replacing things that the first owner, I guess just never noticed.

My next item is the audio amp as the volume at times goes low and sounds like someone talking into a cardboard box. The 2nd next thing that I need to show the dealer is that the LCD display between the Speedo & Tach goes completely black on warm days.

Thank god I bought the 7-Yr 100K...









FLASH: Just went to the store with the wife and tried to restart the car multiple times right after parking it, the key turned on the radio & accessories but nothing as far as starting the car. Went to the arm rest and pushed the in-car wrench button for roadside service. After talking to MB road service we sat there just waiting for the roll-back to arrive. After some 30 mins I decided to try again and this time the engine started, so we called roadside and cancelled the tow truck, had wife get her car and follow me to leave the car at the dealer. Tomorrow morning I'll talk to them about what happened.

I'm starting to think it's a bad ground in the electrical system somewhere that's common to all these things happening.
Seems like a CPS gone bad. That's Crank Positioning Sensor.
$70.00 part + 1.5 hour labor.
GL
60n5pt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #19
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MACHC5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,060
Drives: CLK63 Black, 600E, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60n5pt1 View Post
Seems like a CPS gone bad. That's Crank Positioning Sensor.
$70.00 part + 1.5 hour labor.
GL
Dealer thoughts so also, until I told them it didn't crank at all.
MACHC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #20
Super Member
 
mkonei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delran, NJ
Posts: 694
Drives: 05 C55
now that i think about it, that happened to me one time about three years ago. same exact thing....shut the car off and it wouldnt crank or fire. tried it a couple more times over a ten minute period and it started. i was extremely busy at the moment, and never did get it to a dealer. that was probably 30k ago, and it has never happened since then. are you still happy with the exhaust that Denny did for you? i went by there on sunday, and started thinking about it again. just wondering what its like after living it with it for a little while. thanks
mkonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #21
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 536
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madC55 View Post
+1 and agree X 100,00,00%

You will hear the "horror stories" on any board you choose. I have an 06' with 35K and not one problem (knocking on wood).
exactly.

all in all still a great, rare, fun, fast and beautiful car
__________________

2005 C55 AMG
--------------
Mods:
> CL-style grille
> Flat MB hood badge
> 19" rims (off E63/CLS63)
> HID fog lights
> 5.5 AMG badge
> AMG emblem on shift **** (finally!)
> Front indicators painted body color
> iPod-ready

Forthcoming mods:
> still debating on a CF lip and tinting the windows...
AMG Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #22
cdd
Super Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philly
Posts: 598
Drives: '07 E63
Just to chime in with my experience, mine (2006) now has just a hair under 18K miles (bought it with 5,700) and really haven't had any major issues at all.
cdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #23
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MACHC5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,060
Drives: CLK63 Black, 600E, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkonei View Post
now that i think about it, that happened to me one time about three years ago. same exact thing....shut the car off and it wouldnt crank or fire. tried it a couple more times over a ten minute period and it started. i was extremely busy at the moment, and never did get it to a dealer. that was probably 30k ago, and it has never happened since then. are you still happy with the exhaust that Denny did for you? i went by there on sunday, and started thinking about it again. just wondering what its like after living it with it for a little while. thanks
Got the car back from the dealer today, as they couldn't duplicate the no start.

The Mufflex exhaust work is really worth it. And I'm still thinking of installing the Kleemann headers too.
MACHC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10
Drives: scion xb
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Sleeper View Post
exactly.

all in all still a great, rare, fun, fast and beautiful car
i plan to keep the scion forever and turn it into a weekend project car. i love the box haha.

yeah, even us toyotas have tons of horror stories about maintenance and such, including my own.

anyway, i hope to score a really low mile (under 20K) 2006 model. are there parts that typically fail or need to be checked around 20-30K ?
evosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 238
Drives: 2008 S550, 2010 RR SC Autobiography
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsydad View Post
My 2005 C55 has had been a very trouble prone car. I bought it when it was 2 years old with 21K miles. I have had it 20 months and it is now at 44k. In that time all of the following have been replaced, srs wiriing harness, seat heater control panel, both seat heaters, purge valve, both side marker bulbs, side marker housing, battery, seat heater (second time), steering angle sensor, purge valve (second time), air mass meter, crankshaft position sensor, thrust bushings, end link bushings, xenon headlight bulb, headlight control unit. In addition to these parts, it has had two oil leaks causing burnt oil smell in the cabin, the starter bolts were loose causing the starter to rattle, and the tires wore out prematurely because the dealer installed the tires wrong. The total shop time for all of these repairs has been over 6 weeks. While I love the look and feel of the car, it has become so frustrating, I really detest owning it any longer. I keep hoping the trouble will end, but it never seems to. I have only had it out of the shop for 1 week in the last 6 weeks. I am fortunate that I bought an extended warranty and they cover the rental car replacement, but the hassle factor has become huge.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I cannot decide what to do. I do not want to push this lemon off on anyone else and I canít stand owning it any longer. Any thoughts on what you would do in this situation?
Sorry to hear about your situation. It must be very frustrating to love and hate the car at the same time. Huge props for not wanting to burden someone else with same problems - that's a rare.
I had somewhat similar situation with my 1st C55. I bought it in 05 with around 4.5 K miles and had 3 major problems within 2 weeks. It felt as if I couldn't live with that car anymore and I couldn't make myself even look at it. My dealership found exactly the same color/options combo and shortly after that we did the switch. This 2nd C55 now has over 100K and counting. It had it share of problems, most of them expected, but nothing like what you are describing on your car.
It seems that you are in a pretty tough situation. What options are you currently considering?
eugeneC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:35 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2004, 2005, amg, c55, dealer, exhaust, front, heater, jose, mufflex, opinions, reliability, repair, replaced, reviews, san, seat, warranty



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Copyright © 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2