C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

ESP, ABS, BAS LIGHTS ON CAR WONT SHIFT

Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320

I recently had my ESP module changed out due to an accident that caused this module to have to be replaced..... its been about 2 months and i went to crank up car this morning and all lights ESP, BAS, ASB came on and when i put the car into gear R and/or D it felt as if my transmission fell out, the jerk was bad....

Once I got the car into gear I drove around my driveway and I knew that i was going at least 5 mph, however the gauge did not show this it stayed at 0.... the car would not even shift.... later that evening I went back out and cranked it and nothing.... this morning it did the same thing as yesterday morning, so i had it towed to the shop, any ideas of what this could be, cost???

Thanks any help is greatly appreciated... the shop said that they would get back with me in the morning sometime as he did not have enough time to diagnose the problem... i am just wondering if i should have my heart attach now or wait until in the morning
Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
did you check the battery voltage? These cars are very sensitive to battery voltage. I would check the battery first before anything else.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:27 PM

2001 C320
no not yet... but would this cause the car to not want to shift or go with these lights on?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
low voltage or dying alternator can cause those lights to go off. More then likely its probably a dead battery from a battery drain or old battery. It takes a lot of amps to crank a mercedes. A low voltage battery would have trouble cranking the car.

Anyways...its a cheap thing to check. You can take your battery to autozone and they'll tell you if its good or bad and recharge it for you for free.

i would try all the cheap solutions first before throwing money at it.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
my car would not shift out of first when my battery was not supply sufficient voltage. it puts your car in limp mode, which are the symptoms you are describing.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:00 AM

1999 CLK 430, 2002 c32
Sorry for the thread dig but something sorta similar just happened to my car. I haven't had any work done or anything, but hadn't started my car for almost 2 weeks because i was on vacation but when i got back it started just fine and I drove it around for a bit. Car was working fine for a couple days but this evening i started my car and the BAS ESP and ABS lights all turned on and I couldn't shift out of Park. My car is a sitting duck. Nothing seems wrong, brakes feel fine while in park and the brake lights turn on, wheel turns side to side, engine sounds fine. I will take the battery to autozone like the posters above me suggested just in case it has something to do with that but I just wanted to see if anyone had something similar happen?
Old 01-16-2015, 07:34 AM

2008 CLK550
Have them check the ESP module again. I had these same symptoms except when I was driving the speedo went from 60 and just dropped to 0 and wouldn't shift out of fourth gear even when at a stop light. Had it towed to the dealer and they replaced the esp module and haven't had any issues since then. But check the voltage and battery first because mine always started up it just wouldn't shift out of first gear.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Originally Posted by JakeMS3
Have them check the ESP module again. I had these same symptoms except when I was driving the speedo went from 60 and just dropped to 0 and wouldn't shift out of fourth gear even when at a stop light. Had it towed to the dealer and they replaced the esp module and haven't had any issues since then. But check the voltage and battery first because mine always started up it just wouldn't shift out of first gear.
I still think the dealer was full of s*** and a$$ raped you with that module...
Old 01-16-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
'16 C63s
Have a good MB mechanic check:
ABS/ESP module
ABS/ESP pump (which sits behind the module itself)
Brake light (sounds dumb, but trust me)
I don't know if the C32 is the same, but the C55 has a diaphragm that controls the brake light, instead of a switch. Because German. have them check thats well.

Best 'o luck!
Old 01-07-2021, 10:16 AM

CLS55 Amg
My car does this same thing now just had the transmission coolant hoses replaced and the transmission rebuilt with a performance clutch. after all that i had this same issues anyone figure this out yet?
Old 01-07-2021, 06:51 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Most of the issues discussed are related to a faulty break light switch. I had to replace on all my prior 210 and 208’s regardless of the mileage. It’s questionable though after reading the OP’s post. Not being able to start the car and the bad jerk. 🤔

Regardless a cheap part and a good place to start. Simply worth replacing for the peace of mind. GL!!

Common symptoms of a defective brake light switch.
  • Car stuck in Park.
  • ABS ESP ETS lights come on.
  • Can not move the shifter from Park to Drive.
  • Brakes Defective Warning on Instrument Cluster.
  • Car won't shift gears. Stuck in 2nd gear, limp mode.
  • Brake lights don't work. ...
  • ESP, BAS, ABS lights turn on.

Last edited by RPB; 01-07-2021 at 06:57 PM.