Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) Discuss the C32 and C55 AMG.

Sponsored by CARiD
Click Here


Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
loudandheard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,941
Drives: C32/C55 AMG
Power Steering Leak

So I started to notice that I was getting a slight wine when I turn, so I decided to check the power steering reservoir and I noticed that it was low. So I did a further investigation and was able to find a slight leak under the power steering pump, assuming it's the power steering pump because it's underneath the reservoir.

I was wondering if there was some sort of seal that I can buy in order to fix this leak or is my pump bad? I did a search and found that the reservoir has a filter in it and that the proper fluid for our cars is Pentosin CHF11S Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid.

The only other things that I have read states that the rack and pinion will leak and that it could just be a tube.

I was wondering if any one could guide me to the right info? I'm really hoping it's just a seal that I can replace, shouldn't be too tough of a job by the looks of it, I just need the proper part numbers and if it just a seal.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

loudandheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Super Member
 
02C32guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eagle, PA
Posts: 771
Drives: 2002 C32
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudandheard View Post
So I started to notice that I was getting a slight wine when I turn, so I decided to check the power steering reservoir and I noticed that it was low. So I did a further investigation and was able to find a slight leak under the power steering pump, assuming it's the power steering pump because it's underneath the reservoir.

I was wondering if there was some sort of seal that I can buy in order to fix this leak or is my pump bad? I did a search and found that the reservoir has a filter in it and that the proper fluid for our cars is Pentosin CHF11S Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid.

The only other things that I have read states that the rack and pinion will leak and that it could just be a tube.

I was wondering if any one could guide me to the right info? I'm really hoping it's just a seal that I can replace, shouldn't be too tough of a job by the looks of it, I just need the proper part numbers and if it just a seal.
I'm dealing with this exact same problem. Mine's a pretty slow leak though. I refilled the reservoir about two weeks ago and the whine went away and hasn't come back yet. It's hard to tell, but I think my leakk may be the tube, which is kind of an expensive fix (for a tube). I remember reading a thread about it a while back. If I figure anything out, I'll share.
__________________
C3P SC Pulley, C3P Reservoir, C3P HE, NeedsWings Dual CAI, CM30 icp, NW PSK, RacingBrake Open Slotted Floating Rotors, Porterfield RS4 Pads, Goodridge Lines, ATE Super Blue, Res Delete, ARGOS


Mercedes Benz Owner's Gun Club Member #84
02C32guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
loudandheard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,941
Drives: C32/C55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02C32guy View Post
I'm dealing with this exact same problem. Mine's a pretty slow leak though. I refilled the reservoir about two weeks ago and the whine went away and hasn't come back yet. It's hard to tell, but I think my leakk may be the tube, which is kind of an expensive fix (for a tube). I remember reading a thread about it a while back. If I figure anything out, I'll share.
What kind of fluid are you using? Where are you noticing the leak? I feel the leak right below the pump underneath the pulley on the driver side.

I bought this one just now off of ebay, I feel like I paid too much for just some power steering fluid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pento...ltDomainQ5f100
loudandheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
Super Moderator
 
splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,352
Drives: GMC - Miata - Trek
You’re using the correct fluid.
Respectfully suggest that everything in the area first be thoroughly cleaned to help ascertain the leak’s true source.

We've a seal (000 466 18 80) between the reservoir proper and pump. Save for a defective ‘oil tank’ (000 460 01 83), there are few other places from which fluid can leak in that vicinity. Must be noted my PS system puked enough fluid during its virginal HPDE weekend - through a marginal $10 cap/dipstick (000 466 09 68) - to manifest symptoms similar to those which you’re experiencing. Also, two crush washers (N007603 016105) seal the outlet hose’s banjo fitting to the pump.

The only other hose fitting attaching to the reservoir is its return line, secured by a dastardly pinch clamp. Since it’s on the low pressure side of the system, ditching it for more resilient worm drive hardware can help to rule it out as a culprit of your seepage.

Beyond those simple fixes, you’re well into the more costly and challenging side of the high pressure circuit. I’ve subsequently replaced a fair portion of that as well.
Good luck.
splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,034
Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Take the power steering pulley off, and check to see if there's fluid built up on the inside of the pulley. If so the pump is bad... The reservoir gasket can go bad, splinter listed the part number. It's a good place to start. In my case I had to replace the pump, and pressure line. Just those two add up to nearly a grand... Did all the work myself. You can get the power steering fluid from your local Mercedes dealership.

Quote:
The only other hose fitting attaching to the reservoir is its return line, secured by a dastardly pinch clamp.
That clamp is terrible...
__________________
SOLD


2002 C32 AMG Sedan [132,000 Miles]
Clear Side Markers | CL Style Grille | Flat Emblem | CF Front Lip Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | CF Trunk Spoiler
K&N Air Filters | NGK IX (2 Step) | KV-85 | 185MM EUROCHARGED | TVT Thermostat | PSK Belt Wrap
Johnson CM30 | DIY Intercooler Isolation | 26x7x2 FB H/E | A/F & PSI Pillar
gt4awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
loudandheard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,941
Drives: C32/C55 AMG
Ouch, I'm not going to sleep well tonight!!!
loudandheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
loudandheard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,941
Drives: C32/C55 AMG
Well, I found a bit of info on how to remove the power steering pump, but I just don't know if this is the problem that I am having. I'm going to wait until the fluid comes in and then on the weekend I'll take a closer look at where the leak can be.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
loudandheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,034
Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
The hardest part is getting at the rear inside bolts. C32 pump is different to a certain degree than what you have listed. Here's a photograph with the pump removed... Notice the additional support bracket.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
SOLD


2002 C32 AMG Sedan [132,000 Miles]
Clear Side Markers | CL Style Grille | Flat Emblem | CF Front Lip Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | CF Trunk Spoiler
K&N Air Filters | NGK IX (2 Step) | KV-85 | 185MM EUROCHARGED | TVT Thermostat | PSK Belt Wrap
Johnson CM30 | DIY Intercooler Isolation | 26x7x2 FB H/E | A/F & PSI Pillar
gt4awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:22 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
190e, amg, c32, car, code, fluid, leak, leaking, malfuntion, mercedes, power, pump, steerin, steering, underneath



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Copyright © 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details