C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Trying to figure out the loud ticking noise

Old 03-13-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32 amg

It sounds like I have a valve tick, I pulled off the valve cover and all the rocker arms were tight except one on the intake valve of cylinder 4. The spring doesn't look to be collapsed and I did a compression test on all the cylinders in that bank and they all check out fine, so I don't have a bent valve. The play in the rocker arm is coming from the little spring loaded tip on the arm. It is always in contact with the valve but the arm has a bit of play in the up and down direction. Is this normal? Could that be causing the ticking noise?

I am at a loss for what the noise could be. I KNOW it is not the purge valve, it is definitley coming from the driver side and seems to be more in the rear. I also sounds like it could be coming from the supercharger, but I can't tell.

Any help is great. Thanks

Info on the car. 2002 C32, 115,000 miles. Just replace the engine about 5 months ago with a 2004 engine that had 65,000 miles on it. The ticking has been around since I replaced the engine. Sometimes it is louder than others. And in a very rare occasion it is not there at all. The noise is proportional to the rpms, and can be heard inside the car with the windows up.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 PM

2002 c32 amg
Update, it is definitely coming from the supercharger, sounds like it is coming from the area near the throttle body. Any suggestions, can they run low on oil?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:34 PM

C32, E93 M3
I have a ticking sound too, but only hear it with the stereo off and at a stop. Once I introduce any noise from driving, I can't hear it.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 AMG GT S (previous MBZ was a C32 AMG)
Originally Posted by SYZYGY
I have a ticking sound too, but only hear it with the stereo off and at a stop. Once I introduce any noise from driving, I can't hear it.
same here...
Old 03-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32 AMG
Something like I'm experiencing here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCITygyj63A
Old 08-28-2015, 07:14 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Reviving an old thread.

I have this exact same issue and no thread that is relatable to the sound I am getting has found a solution.

I have changed oil and filter - thinking maybe it was sludge build up

I have run fuel injector cleaner - thinking I maybe had a lot of carbon build up.

Not completely sure if the sound is coming from the passenger valve cover or from the back end of the super charger.

Hopefully someone has some other ideas to try or has actually solved this problem! Other than the sounds I have not noticed any changes in performance or driveability. It does have me worried though.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C32, 03 ML55
Seafoamed it twice and no tick / ticking now.

Originally Posted by Kostas20
Reviving an old thread.

I have this exact same issue and no thread that is relatable to the sound I am getting has found a solution.

I have changed oil and filter - thinking maybe it was sludge build up

I have run fuel injector cleaner - thinking I maybe had a lot of carbon build up.

Not completely sure if the sound is coming from the passenger valve cover or from the back end of the super charger.

Hopefully someone has some other ideas to try or has actually solved this problem! Other than the sounds I have not noticed any changes in performance or driveability. It does have me worried though.

I had a noticeable ticking when car was cold that eventually went away after a few rounds of Seafoam.

Couple videos from when I was thinking it was that the oil filter dip stick had broken away and gone into the engine somehow. Wondering if this is the same clicking you are having... it concerned me quite a bit at the time...

Finally I ran across a Seafoam video and tried putting it in the engine oil. I run the c32jet pretty hard and did not know if it would smoke bad or do something odd, I really couldn't tell I had put an entire can of the stuff in the engine (ala no smoke or bad exhaust). I drove it for a week, which is not much as I travel a bit. It sounded a tiny bit quieter... I added another can of the Seafoam and drove another few weeks.... The sound was much quieter. I then changed the oil and have not really noticed the click at all.

Hope this is helpful.

Don

Old 09-20-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55

Your videos are coming up private on YT
Old 09-20-2015, 09:09 PM

02 C32, 03 ML55
Originally Posted by eFifty5AMG
Your videos are coming up private on YT
Thanks... I think I have fixed them all now as public... never knew they were private! Let me know...

Don
Old 09-20-2015, 10:13 PM

2003 C32 AMG
This is great info C32jet! The sound is very very similar. I tried some motomaster (i think it is a Canadian Tire brand up here in Canada) fuel cleaner and didn't think brand would make that much of a difference. Is Seafoam really that much better? I have noticed it mentioned most of the time in recommendations on here for fuel injector cleaner.

Adding it to the engine oil is interesting as I have been thinking that maybe it is a bit of a sludge build up.

Were you worried about adding it to the engine oil? I have always read that our cars are very particular about the oil level, especially going over.

Thanks again for all the info!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:56 AM

02 C32, 03 ML55
SeaFoam - why I thought I'd give it a try..

Originally Posted by Kostas20
This is great info C32jet! The sound is very very similar. I tried some motomaster (i think it is a Canadian Tire brand up here in Canada) fuel cleaner and didn't think brand would make that much of a difference. Is Seafoam really that much better? I have noticed it mentioned most of the time in recommendations on here for fuel injector cleaner.

Adding it to the engine oil is interesting as I have been thinking that maybe it is a bit of a sludge build up.

Were you worried about adding it to the engine oil? I have always read that our cars are very particular about the oil level, especially going over.

Thanks again for all the info!
Yes, I was a bit skeptical on adding it directly in the oil fill - and a whole can at first. I went for it based on this late night find on youtube. I dont really recall what the oil level was at the time of application.

Our cars are just like this mower right? ;- ) I found some other videos showing cars blowing tons of white smoke, this was not the case for me, no smoke at all.

So... I can't say I did tons of research before heading to walmart and getting a can for $10 or so.

What led me to think sludge was this thread.. and the mention of the clicking..
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...tick-pics.html

Its been about six months now since I did it and considering doing it again with my now shaky / rough idle.

I am at 131K and just now getting some rust spots on my lower door sills.

Pretty sure I have an intercooler leak as I have the green mist in the area right after I pull off the air boxes (throttle body area?). I was losing lots of coolant when I lived in LA and doing lots of driving. One only knows what I will find one day when I get around to pulling off the valve covers.

In any event, hope this info is helpful. Let us know how it goes and do some before, during and after videos.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:10 PM

2003 C32 AMG
This info is really helpful, I saw that same thread and was so worried I was going to go through the same ordeal he did. But I think it is a bit different than his situation.

I also have a feeling i have an intercooler leak as i have to refill the coolant fairly regularly. I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Instead of carbon build up it is coolant build up on the valves potentially.

Did you add two cans to the engine oil or did you do a can in the oil and a can in the fuel?

When I get a chance I will video and upload a video of the sound. I am pretty sure my supercharger bearing is slowly starting to go so that might drown out the ticking sound a bit from my iphone 4s microphone
Old 09-27-2015, 08:36 PM

02 C32, 03 ML55
I added a full can directly to the oil fill. Drove it a week or so... then added another full can directly to the oil fill again. Changed the oil and the click is largely gone.

As an update... I have had a rough idle lately and not sure if I have created a vacuum leak somewhere as I have just replaced the motor mounts (major PITA) and figure jacking up the engine a few times may have cracked a 10 year old plastic tube or if my many time taking off the air boxes have goofed a seal or something somewhere.

So I go looking for vacuum leak solutions and found a smoke test. I am in the local autozone asking about a smoke machine and the guy says... before you do that.. run some injector cleaner through it... it might be really easy and you have some dirt or build up and a shot of cleaner might clear it out.... aha... I recall that seafoam can be used in the gas as well.... so... off I go... two cans of seafoam some and I also got some other injector cleaner stuff for a few bucks (Valvoline and STP - got both as they are $5 a piece - whats to lose) just in case I needed them in a few weeks.

So I tossed in a can of seafoam in a full tank of gas today... seems a tiny bit better right away (not sure its the seafoam or in my head). Will let you know if the rough idle improves over the coming weeks. I got five different items to dump in there... 2 cans of seafoam (one in now - also put in the Valoline fuel injector cleaner at the same time) 1 thing of Valvoline, a thing of STP injector cleaner and some generic injector cleaner. I'll wait to see what happens and then if it doesn't improve... I'll send the rest of the team in.

Wish me luck... I'll report results as they materialize...

Thanks
Old 09-28-2015, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
A few tips, There are instructions on the can of sea foam. They suggest the right amount to put in the fuel, oil and you are supposed to suck some up through the brake booster. The Brake booster is where you will get the smoke as it sits on top of the cylinders and burns off when you start the car. If you are going to add any to the oil you should remove the same amount of oil. I would be weary of adding 2 cans (especially if that did not overfill the oil) because it may thin out the oil enough to cause problems. Also you are supposed to do an oil change about 200 miles after use.

I have used seafoam in the past but prefer to use BG44k. It is what Mercedes uses too.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 PM

02 C32, 03 ML55
Seafoam tips - thx

Originally Posted by insame1
A few tips, There are instructions on the can of sea foam. They suggest the right amount to put in the fuel, oil and you are supposed to suck some up through the brake booster. The Brake booster is where you will get the smoke as it sits on top of the cylinders and burns off when you start the car. If you are going to add any to the oil you should remove the same amount of oil. I would be weary of adding 2 cans (especially if that did not overfill the oil) because it may thin out the oil enough to cause problems. Also you are supposed to do an oil change about 200 miles after use.

I have used seafoam in the past but prefer to use BG44k. It is what Mercedes uses too.

Thanks for the tips. I figured the seafoam stuff would burn off and out of the oil pretty quick which is why I didn't think I needed to tinker with the oil level. I figured the first can had burned out in a week or two, then I added the second can and ran another few weeks. I don't recall the car saying it was over filled (ala the instrument panel indicator - does it do that? let you know if its overfilled?).

As for the brake booster. I wasn't aware of that either. How would you do that? Ala where is the brake booster (on 2002 C32) and how do you get seafoam into it - is it a something you can pour it into (ala where the brake fluid goes?) - or do you need a special method or tool? Probably a dumb question but here goes... how would the brake booster be connected to the tops of the pistons? Pretty sure that will be good for some laughs and also maybe save someone like me from doing damage while thinking I was helping.

I'll check out the BG44k as well. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the tips. I figured the seafoam stuff would burn off and out of the oil pretty quick which is why I didn't think I needed to tinker with the oil level. I figured the first can had burned out in a week or two, then I added the second can and ran another few weeks. I don't recall the car saying it was over filled (ala the instrument panel indicator - does it do that? let you know if its overfilled?).
Seafoam is a petroleum based product and if added to the oil should not burn off unless you have some serious blowby and oil loss. You cluster should tell you if it is overfilled but there is some lead way in the electronic measurement. If you were about due for an oil change it could be that enough oil was consumed between changes that it did not hit the overfill mark so to say.

As for the brake booster. I wasn't aware of that either. How would you do that? Ala where is the brake booster (on 2002 C32) and how do you get seafoam into it - is it a something you can pour it into (ala where the brake fluid goes?) - or do you need a special method or tool? Probably a dumb question but here goes... how would the brake booster be connected to the tops of the pistons? Pretty sure that will be good for some laughs and also maybe save someone like me from doing damage while thinking I was helping.
If I remember correctly the brake booster is on the drivers side near the firewall. There is a vacuum line connected to it. You use this line to suck the seafoam on to the top of the cylinders and let it set for 5 - 10 min before starting the car letting it sit longer wont hurt anything.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How to add seafoam through the brake booster line.